Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On Friday, 1 April 2016 14:18:35 UTC+1, Mike Barnes wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

AIUI those charging points are free to use. The true costs are in the
car's purchase and battery life. So you can't directly compare costs
without taking into account mileage and a host of other factors.

I took a test drive in a Tesla and was quite impressed. I recommend the
(free, no pressure) test drive to anyone with half an interest in the
topic and a couple of hours to spare. But the car makes no sense
economically for a low-mileage driver such as me.

So what sort of driver is it aimed at long distance ?
but can only do 215 miles.....