Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thoughts on cordless vacuums please

We, her indoors and myself, are considering cordless vacuums. there seem
to be 2contenders for the top, the Dyson V^ Fluffy and the Vax Air
Cordless Lift U85-ACLG-B. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2015 12:43, Broadback wrote:
We, her indoors and myself, are considering cordless vacuums. there seem
to be 2contenders for the top, the Dyson V^ Fluffy and the Vax Air
Cordless Lift U85-ACLG-B. any thoughts would be appreciated.

We got a Dyson (not Fluffy) and it is excellent. Also have one at work.
Small capacity for dirt, awkward to open and get the dirt out, but still
highly rated.

We tried a Vax product (can't remember which one now), and it was
rubbish in comparison. OK for occasional crumb clearance.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is a Bosch as well which apparently has two batteries, on charging one
in the cleaner.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"polygonum" wrote in message
On 26/09/2015 12:43, Broadback wrote:
We, her indoors and myself, are considering cordless vacuums. there seem
to be 2contenders for the top, the Dyson V^ Fluffy and the Vax Air
Cordless Lift U85-ACLG-B. any thoughts would be appreciated.

We got a Dyson (not Fluffy) and it is excellent. Also have one at work.
Small capacity for dirt, awkward to open and get the dirt out, but still
highly rated.

We tried a Vax product (can't remember which one now), and it was rubbish
in comparison. OK for occasional crumb clearance.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/15 12:43, Broadback wrote:
We, her indoors and myself, are considering cordless vacuums. there seem
to be 2contenders for the top, the Dyson V^ Fluffy and the Vax Air
Cordless Lift U85-ACLG-B. any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've recently purchased a Gtech Air-ram K9, and it's excellent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bartram wrote in news:mu68gn$9n6$2
@dont-email.me:

On 26/09/15 12:43, Broadback wrote:
We, her indoors and myself, are considering cordless vacuums. there seem
to be 2contenders for the top, the Dyson V^ Fluffy and the Vax Air
Cordless Lift U85-ACLG-B. any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've recently purchased a Gtech Air-ram K9, and it's excellent.

....won't they all suffer from declining performance as the battery ages and
you will just put up with it as the batteries will either be expensive or
not available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 26 September 2015 17:17:37 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Chris Bartram wrote in news:mu68gn$9n6$2
@dont-email.me:
On 26/09/15 12:43, Broadback wrote:

We, her indoors and myself, are considering cordless vacuums. there seem
to be 2contenders for the top, the Dyson V^ Fluffy and the Vax Air
Cordless Lift U85-ACLG-B. any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've recently purchased a Gtech Air-ram K9, and it's excellent.

...won't they all suffer from declining performance as the battery ages and
you will just put up with it as the batteries will either be expensive or
not available.

One of my dustettes has been going for 80 years. In that time you'd need to buy around 10 rechargeable vacs as well as tolerate the poorer performance. It doesn't have dyson-like suction but they do the job ok.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

doesn't have dyson-like suction but they do
the job ok.

NT

Don't do the job very well by the sound of it

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 September 2015 07:22:14 UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:
doesn't have dyson-like suction but they do
the job ok.

Don't do the job very well by the sound of it

Does that mean you've never used one?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:43:10 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

We, her indoors and myself, are considering cordless vacuums. there
seem to be 2contenders for the top, the Dyson V^ Fluffy and the Vax
Air Cordless Lift U85-ACLG-B. any thoughts would be appreciated.

We have a small hand-held Dyson DC31 Animal. SWMBO swears by it.

We have a DC35. Excellent. It means stuff gets cleaned that would
otherwise not be.

We have a DC59, it is indeed excellent. It gets lots of use. Great for a
quick hoovering up of stuff and for doing just a bit of the house to
save getting the mains vacuum out, for doing sofas say, whilst hoovering
the carpets with the mains one, for the car.

I like that it can be easily used as a handheld one, or with the
extension tube more like an upright.

Q for the OP. Are you looking for a replacement for an upright cleaner,
or more of a handheld one
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 September 2015 21:01:05 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
nt:
On Saturday, 26 September 2015 17:17:37 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Chris Bartram wrote in news:mu68gn$9n6$2
@dont-email.me:
On 26/09/15 12:43, Broadback wrote:

We, her indoors and myself, are considering cordless vacuums. there seem
to be 2contenders for the top, the Dyson V^ Fluffy and the Vax Air
Cordless Lift U85-ACLG-B. any thoughts would be appreciated.
I've recently purchased a Gtech Air-ram K9, and it's excellent.

...won't they all suffer from declining performance as the battery ages and
you will just put up with it as the batteries will either be expensive or
not available.

One of my dustettes has been going for 80 years. In that time you'd
need to buy around 10 rechargeable vacs as well as tolerate the poorer
performance.

Batteries are easily available for the Dyson.

TBH I doubt that our Dyson DC59 has less suction than an old dustette
(though it is a long, long time since I used one - it really is nothing
like the little handheld jobbies.

And the Dustette lacks the big advantage of being cordless.

but you know, horses for courses

They're very different animals. You can replace batteries, but it costs. A fiver for a reliable mains vac, or many hundreds with repeated breakdowns for something more modern. Sometimes upgrades really are downgrades.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2015 20:54, Chris French wrote:
In message , Tim Streater
writes

wrote:

We, her indoors and myself, are considering cordless vacuums. there
seem to be 2contenders for the top, the Dyson V^ Fluffy and the Vax
Air Cordless Lift U85-ACLG-B. any thoughts would be appreciated.

We have a small hand-held Dyson DC31 Animal. SWMBO swears by it.

We have a DC35. Excellent. It means stuff gets cleaned that would
otherwise not be.

We have a DC59, it is indeed excellent. It gets lots of use. Great for a
quick hoovering up of stuff and for doing just a bit of the house to
save getting the mains vacuum out, for doing sofas say, whilst hoovering
the carpets with the mains one, for the car.

I like that it can be easily used as a handheld one, or with the
extension tube more like an upright.

Q for the OP. Are you looking for a replacement for an upright cleaner,
or more of a handheld one

A replacement for our mains one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We, her indoors and myself, are considering cordless vacuums. there
seem to be 2contenders for the top, the Dyson V^ Fluffy and the Vax
Air Cordless Lift U85-ACLG-B. any thoughts would be appreciated.

We have a small hand-held Dyson DC31 Animal. SWMBO swears by it.

We have a DC35. Excellent. It means stuff gets cleaned that would
otherwise not be.

We have a DC59, it is indeed excellent. It gets lots of use. Great for a
quick hoovering up of stuff and for doing just a bit of the house to
save getting the mains vacuum out, for doing sofas say, whilst hoovering
the carpets with the mains one, for the car.

I like that it can be easily used as a handheld one, or with the
extension tube more like an upright.

Q for the OP. Are you looking for a replacement for an upright cleaner,
or more of a handheld one

A replacement for our mains one.

We have a DC59. SWMBO likes it because it is light to use. It gets much
more use than the ball Dyson that we bought before.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:36:02 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Q for the OP. Are you looking for a replacement for an upright

cleaner,
or more of a handheld one

A replacement for our mains one.

Hum, unless battery technology has taken some very big steps recently
no way is a battery cleaner going to have the suck and run time of a
mains cleaner.

Pick any two: Suck, long run time, light weight.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 28 September 2015 16:43:05 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:36:02 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Q for the OP. Are you looking for a replacement for an upright

cleaner,
or more of a handheld one

A replacement for our mains one.

Hum, unless battery technology has taken some very big steps recently
no way is a battery cleaner going to have the suck and run time of a
mains cleaner.

Pick any two: Suck, long run time, light weight.

So.
I don;t need a long run time 10mins is usually enough.
How many hours a day do you vacuum ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 28 September 2015 16:43:05 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:36:02 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Q for the OP. Are you looking for a replacement for an upright

cleaner,
or more of a handheld one

A replacement for our mains one.

Hum, unless battery technology has taken some very big steps recently
no way is a battery cleaner going to have the suck and run time of a
mains cleaner.

Pick any two: Suck, long run time, light weight.

So.
I don;t need a long run time 10mins is usually enough.

It certainly wouldn't be here.

How many hours a day do you vacuum ?

Not a question of how many hours a day - but how long in one go. Unless
you have spare batteries.

Thing is, to me a vacuum cleaner is simply a tool. Not a fashion
statement. So I expect it to have a long long life. Like any other
household appliance. My current Panasonic is over 20 years old and still
works just fine.

And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail. And can you
guarantee a replacement will be available at a reasonable price when it
does? Experience with most cordless tools says not.

Of course I wired this house myself. So there are plenty of convenient
sockets for a mains vacuum cleaner - I actually added more where the need
was found. So it really is no hardship to plug it in.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 13:46:28 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 28 September 2015 16:43:05 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:36:02 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Q for the OP. Are you looking for a replacement for an upright
cleaner,
or more of a handheld one

A replacement for our mains one.

Hum, unless battery technology has taken some very big steps recently
no way is a battery cleaner going to have the suck and run time of a
mains cleaner.

Pick any two: Suck, long run time, light weight.

So.
I don;t need a long run time 10mins is usually enough.

It certainly wouldn't be here.

How many hours a day do you vacuum ?

Not a question of how many hours a day - but how long in one go. Unless
you have spare batteries.

For me it's virutally the same question. Because I know I have 10mins
so I don't not cleaner for a month and go around just once a month.
uslly I pick a dusty place a vacuum it.
If I have to do a whole room or house I use my mains powered dyson.

Thing is, to me a vacuum cleaner is simply a tool.

Me too, are you implying I think it's a 'marital' aid ;-)

Not a fashion
statement. So I expect it to have a long long life.

I expect it to do a job where I put in minimal effort.
My broom has lasted me years but then I don't use it since I have a dyson.
So it will likely out live me, I don't have a problem with that, I'll leave it in my will.

Like any other
household appliance. My current Panasonic is over 20 years old and still
works just fine.

So does my broom, but it doesn;t do what I want and for me that is more important.

And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail.

So.

And can you
guarantee a replacement will be available at a reasonable price when it
does? Experience with most cordless tools says not.

couldn't care less.
I can't get HP3 film for my camera either do I care ?
Can;t buy model T ford cars either, and I'd relly like one of those early
lights that they had in teh first houses you know the ones where they stand them in liquid mercury.

Of course I wired this house myself. So there are plenty of convenient
sockets for a mains vacuum cleaner

I have a long extention lead and where that can;t reach I have a protable applience.

- I actually added more where the need
was found. So it really is no hardship to plug it in.

I have found even a plugged in cleaner is a real pain on the stairs I had a dirty devil, and when gettign cobwebs down from a corner the dyson is only bettered by a ken dodd tickle stick, but they rarely last longer than a batteries charge before I have to clean them.

Just ordered a new dyson V6 fluffy for at work.
No it will not be used as the cleaner for the university campus.

and if you really need longer get a spare battery like you do for cameras
and some laptops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 28 September 2015 16:43:05 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:36:02 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Like any other
household appliance. My current Panasonic is over 20 years old and still
works just fine.

So does my broom, but it doesn;t do what I want and for me that is more important.

If a basic mains vac won't clean up, something's wrong with it.

And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail.

So.

so you have to pay over and over. Having used both mains & cordless I don't see the upside, mains are so much more pwoerful, it makes more difference than cordlessness.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael Chare
writes

wrote:

[...]

Depending on the situation, much as I like ours and use it a lot, I
think the DC59 could struggle as a mains replacement (not so much
because of performance, but because of the runtime.).. It wouldn't be
much cop here as the house is too big and gets to messy with pets, kids,
in and our of the garden, crafting etc. - I use it here to do the odd
room, the stairs and odd bits of cleaning - but it wouldn't do all of
our downstairs but I can see in a small house or flat, it might be ok

I'd look at the ones designed more as an upright one maybe, they might
have more runtime?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 28 September 2015 16:43:05 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:36:02 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Like any other
household appliance. My current Panasonic is over 20 years old and still
works just fine.

So does my broom, but it doesn;t do what I want and for me that is more important.

If a basic mains vac won't clean up, something's wrong with it.

So what, I haven't a basic vac. My broom isn't a vac. it does not suck.

And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail.

So.

so you have to pay over and over.

Just get a new battery.

Having used both mains & cordless I don't see the upside, mains are so much more pwoerful, it makes more difference than cordlessness.

and I can't see the point of a mains one when for what I want the cordless does the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Of course I wired this house myself. So there are plenty of convenient
sockets for a mains vacuum cleaner

I have a long extention lead and where that can;t reach I have a
protable applience.

Explains why you like cordless. And I'd guess it explains it for others
too.

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail.

So.

so you have to pay over and over.

Just get a new battery.

Have you ever bought a replacement battery for a power tool? Especially
one a few years old?

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 15:54:58 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail.

So.

so you have to pay over and over.

I brought my portable vacuum after my mains one was causing problems not picking upo the dirt etc... there's was a split in the hose near the bottem that required a replacement. Then argos offered a part exchange so I upgraded.

Just get a new battery.

Have you ever bought a replacement battery for a power tool? Especially
one a few years old?

No never had to. I've only ever known one person to need a new battery for their Apple laptop too and that was after 6 years.
I don't worry about buyoijng anew lump of cheese if the one in the fridge gets a bit mouldy. I see every object as a disposable one.
I can't think of anything other than gold that lasts forever.

in fact even your skin changes every month, or do you thinko you keep yuor skin throught your life.

Do you not buy products that have batteries in them, because they might need replacing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Of course I wired this house myself. So there are plenty of convenient
sockets for a mains vacuum cleaner

I have a long extention lead and where that can;t reach I have a
protable applience.

Explains why you like cordless. And I'd guess it explains it for others
too.

We aren't over endowed with sockets particularly (gradually being added
as things are done) but got enough sockets here for hoovering the house.

I like the our cordless because of what it does better than the mains
one.

It's light, easy to use and to get into places. Because it's easy to
grab and do a quick job, some things get done more often. It's great
for doing sofas (we have cat's)

- eg with have a steepish back stairs, hoovering with the mains one is
a faff, - I can't stand the hoover on the stairs, I can't reach all the
way from the top with hose (which is where the hoover will be as at the
bottom is the kitchen and the hoover doesn't get used in there normally.
So there stairs often didn't get done.

But I can grab the cordless, stick the little motorized head on and do
them easily, - then whizz along the back landing and the toilet, while
I'm at it with the extension tube and main head.

For me the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I find I tend to
turn to the cordless first, unless I'm doing a more serious bout of
vacuuming.

Don't really see the point of arguing about it really though. For me it
is a worthwhile addition to the toolkit (gets used more often than my
cordless drills). For others that won't be true -they may not have a
use for it, want to spend the money, feel that a cordless vacuum is
worth it,. etc. etc. and that's fine.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail.

So.

so you have to pay over and over.

Just get a new battery.

Have you ever bought a replacement battery for a power tool? Especially
one a few years old?

Actually I have once - I've got a few Bosch tools that all use the same
NiMH 14.4V battery and one of them died - I got a spare 3rd party
battery for a reasonable price, the oldest tool was probably about 8
years old?

As it happens I've found Dyson pretty good on spares for older machines,
so there is a fair chance of there being a spare if I want one.

I really don't see this as any different from other cordless tools. They
have less power, cost more, and have batteries that run down and wear
out. But some of us use some of them because the advantages make it
worthwhile for us
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail.

So.

so you have to pay over and over.

I brought my portable vacuum after my mains one was causing problems not picking upo the dirt etc... there's was a split in the hose near the bottem that required a replacement. Then argos offered a part exchange so I upgraded.

Just get a new battery.

Have you ever bought a replacement battery for a power tool? Especially
one a few years old?

No never had to. I've only ever known one person to need a new battery
for their Apple laptop too and that was after 6 years.

You don't have much experience of laptops, then.

I don't worry
about buyoijng anew lump of cheese if the one in the fridge gets a bit
mouldy. I see every object as a disposable one. I can't think of
anything other than gold that lasts forever.

Good for you. Probably stems from being able to purchase things for your
employer. Doesn't matter if they are value for money.

in fact even your skin changes every month, or do you thinko you keep
yuor skin throught your life.

I don't pay for new skin.

Do you not buy products that have batteries in them, because they might
need replacing.

Not might. Will. But you are perfectly free to waste your money on
anything you want to.

--
*I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
[...]

Indeed, which is rather my point.

A Dustette wouldn't really do the job that our DC59 does. for me the
trade off's of it being a cordless tool is worth it. But, as ever,
mileage varies :-)

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 17:38:17 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

[...]

Some people don't give a hoot about reliability or TCO, then expect handouts when life happens and they've squandered it all. And live forever wishing they had the money to do this that and the other.

8 vacs x £40 each = £320. I get one for a fiver and spend the rest on stuff that actually matters, that makes a difference.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail.

So.

so you have to pay over and over.

Just get a new battery.

Have you ever bought a replacement battery for a power tool? Especially
one a few years old?

So just buy more than one when you buy the power tool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail.

So.

so you have to pay over and over.

Just get a new battery.

Have you ever bought a replacement battery for a power tool? Especially
one a few years old?

So just buy more than one when you buy the power tool.

No mention of vacuuming, Wodney?
Figures.
LOL
You must live in a proper ****-hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 13:46:03 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Q for the OP. Are you looking for a replacement for an upright
cleaner, or more of a handheld one

A replacement for our mains one.

Hum, unless battery technology has taken some very big steps

recently
no way is a battery cleaner going to have the suck and run time

of a
mains cleaner.

Pick any two: Suck, long run time, light weight.

So.
I don;t need a long run time 10mins is usually enough.

It certainly wouldn't be here.

How many hours a day do you vacuum ?

Not a question of how many hours a day - but how long in one go.

Same here, takes the best part of a couple of hours to hoover most of
the place. 10 mins is hardly long enough to clean up after a couple
of holes being drilled.

Unless you have spare batteries.

And a fast charger that will fully recharge one in the ten minutes
the other is in use or three set of batteries and two chargers. Still
has to be a fairly "smart" charger to fully charge in 20 mins and not
cook the batteries.

And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail. And can you
guarantee a replacement will be available at a reasonable price when it
does? Experience with most cordless tools says not.

Probably not as a ready to use spare, so one has to jump through the
recelling hoop. But I guess that's because I don't consider a duff
battery pack an excuse to bin what is otherwise a perfectly
functional tool.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:44:06 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

You don't use the cordless to vacuum the whole house. You use it for
jobs that would be inconvenient or awkward with any mains powered
machine, such as the top of pictures, picture rail, top of doors, that
sort of thing.

Which is what the soft brush tool on a mains vac is for... B-)

We do have a battery vac but it's next to useless. Principally down
to a cheap and nasty "charger" ie. mains to low voltage AC, a series
diode and current limiting resistor. Needless to say the NiCds where
shagged within 12 months. There is no indication of charge and no
fall back to trickle.

The switch is also sliding soft brass, which wears and deposits a
metallic film on what should be insulation. this gives a leakage path
to discharge the battery in "off" and path that is always there.

One day I'll recell it with NiMH, give it a proper charger and think
about what to do with the switch. It may then actually be useful but
even new the runtime was barely long enough.

I'm not getting the big vac out just to suck up 10 dead (or live)
beetles in the kitchen.

Dust pan and brush. Quicker, more reliable.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Of course I wired this house myself. So there are plenty of convenient
sockets for a mains vacuum cleaner

I have a long extention lead and where that can;t reach I have a
protable applience.

Explains why you like cordless. And I'd guess it explains it for others
too.

We aren't over endowed with sockets particularly (gradually being added
as things are done) but got enough sockets here for hoovering the house.

I like the our cordless because of what it does better than the mains
one.

Yes me to some think the only important thing is suction maybe they use their
mains ones for something else the Henry's are a favourite I hear for using in the back passage :-o

It's light, easy to use and to get into places. Because it's easy to
grab and do a quick job, some things get done more often. It's great
for doing sofas (we have cat's)

yeah how comes some don't think about the hassle factor of mains.
You have to unwind the cord plug it in switch it on drag the appliance
to where it's needed use it, wind back the cord.
You'd have thought DIY'ers would understand since rechargale drills came into existance, we dont; all need to have tailing leads around our feet when climbing ladders or doing other sfuff more than a yard from a power point.

- eg with have a steepish back stairs, hoovering with the mains one is
a faff, - I can't stand the hoover on the stairs,

I can't stand my dyson on my front stairs or back.

For me the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and I find I tend to
turn to the cordless first, unless I'm doing a more serious bout of
vacuuming.

Me too or to be honest idealy I'd like a nuclear version, where I can poin tto the area I want cleaned and it has enough suction to clean any area of the house while I sit on the sofa.

Don't really see the point of arguing about it really though.

I'd only think it worht arguong with those that have used them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail.

So.

so you have to pay over and over.

I brought my portable vacuum after my mains one was causing problems not picking upo the dirt etc... there's was a split in the hose near the bottem that required a replacement. Then argos offered a part exchange so I upgraded.

Just get a new battery.

Have you ever bought a replacement battery for a power tool? Especially
one a few years old?

No never had to. I've only ever known one person to need a new battery
for their Apple laptop too and that was after 6 years.

You don't have much experience of laptops, then.

yes I do probably more than you do. I work inb a uni where both staff and studetns have them, most upgrade long before they need a new battery.
Most laptops can still be used even if the battery doesn't hold it's charge.

I don't worry
about buyoijng anew lump of cheese if the one in the fridge gets a bit
mouldy. I see every object as a disposable one. I can't think of
anything other than gold that lasts forever.

Good for you. Probably stems from being able to purchase things for your
employer. Doesn't matter if they are value for money.

It does matter, and one of the reasons I've brought a dyson for work
is because I have one at home. I don;t want to buy another crap vacuum because it's cheaper therefor 'better' value. If I want value I brough 2 dustpan and brushes.
The best value drills are those that arent; powered you can buy them for under a fiver I have 3 here, so why do peole buy more expensive powered ones. ?

in fact even your skin changes every month, or do you thinko you keep
yuor skin throught your life.

I don't pay for new skin.

yuo do in energy, which is derived from the food yuo eat which costs yuo money,
and what the **** do you think the dust is in your house ?

Do you not buy products that have batteries in them, because they might
need replacing.

Not might. Will. But you are perfectly free to waste your money on
anything you want to.

and yuo are perfectly entitled to wate money on buying a car with a battery that will need replacing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 18:12:21 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 17:38:17 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Some people don't give a hoot about reliability or TCO, then expect handouts when life happens and they've squandered it all. And live forever wishing they had the money to do this that and the other.

8 vacs x £40 each = £320. I get one for a fiver and spend the rest on stuff that actually matters, that makes a difference.

I can buy nearly a 1000 dustpan and brushes for that.
http://www.rapidonline.com/Facilitie...sh-Set-89-6397

you've been ripped off,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 09:13:05 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

It takes me about 30 seconds to dyson up when I drill a hole it takes me longer to drill the hole than dyson up the mess.
Maybe you have one of those crap vacuums that take 10mins or you haven't switched it on or you're still using the Leclanché cell you got from the skip.

Unless you have spare batteries.

And a fast charger that will fully recharge one in the ten minutes.

if you're really that crap this sort of thing.

And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail. And can you
guarantee a replacement will be available at a reasonable price when it
does? Experience with most cordless tools says not.

Probably not as a ready to use spare, so one has to jump through the
recelling hoop. But I guess that's because I don't consider a duff
battery pack an excuse to bin what is otherwise a perfectly
functional tool.

Me niether, that's why they have replaceable batteries the same goes for cars,
who dumnps a car because the battereis flat ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 09:28:08 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:44:06 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

You don't use the cordless to vacuum the whole house. You use it for
jobs that would be inconvenient or awkward with any mains powered
machine, such as the top of pictures, picture rail, top of doors, that
sort of thing.

Which is what the soft brush tool on a mains vac is for... B-)

but it's pretty useless due to the difficulty of getting it where you want it.
Unless you''re pictures are at floor level.

We do have a battery vac but it's next to useless. Principally down
to a cheap and nasty "charger" ie. mains to low voltage AC,

buying a cheap crappy vac is noithing to be proud of is it ?

a series
diode and current limiting resistor. Needless to say the NiCds where
shagged within 12 months. There is no indication of charge and no
fall back to trickle.

NiCds ! I ditched them back in the last milenium shortly after stonehenge was built. You'' be telling me next you had to take your horse to the nackers yard.

One day I'll recell it with NiMH, give it a proper charger and think
about what to do with the switch. It may then actually be useful but
even new the runtime was barely long enough.

in them days man had only just manage to cross the atlantic by air.

I'm not getting the big vac out just to suck up 10 dead (or live)
beetles in the kitchen.

Dust pan and brush. Quicker, more reliable.

depends how you use them, using them too vigously will me the dust gets airborn again and the last thing you want in a kitchen is beetle dust floating around unless you're using non atrificail red food colouring of course

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 17:11:58 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
It's light, easy to use and to get into places. Because it's easy to
grab and do a quick job, some things get done more often. It's great
for doing sofas (we have cat's)

yeah how comes some don't think about the hassle factor of mains.

snip

I don't think it's a case of not thinking about the hassle factor, just
about different priorities. We live different lives, in different
houses, and a decent cordless vac is expensive and does have it's
limitations. Some people won't view it as something they think is
worthwhile. Fair enough.

Just like sometimes I'd rather like a good cordless SDS, but they are
expensive, and really, I'd not use one that often, so I put up with
extensions leads up the ladder etc.

- eg with have a steepish back stairs, hoovering with the mains one is
a faff, - I can't stand the hoover on the stairs,

I can't stand my dyson on my front stairs or back.

I can stand our Miele cylinder on the main stairs, but I don't suppose
an upright would.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Not a question of how many hours a day - but how long in one go.

You don't use the cordless to vacuum the whole house. You use it for
jobs that would be inconvenient or awkward with any mains powered
machine, such as the top of pictures, picture rail, top of doors, that
sort of thing.

Fairy nuff. I do have a small cordless for small things like that.

Use the right tool for the job.

Many here seem to think a cordless can replace a mains one. As do the many
ads on TV.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 11:18:12 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 18:12:21 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 17:38:17 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Some people don't give a hoot about reliability or TCO, then expect handouts when life happens and they've squandered it all. And live forever wishing they had the money to do this that and the other.

8 vacs x £40 each = £320. I get one for a fiver and spend the rest on stuff that actually matters, that makes a difference.

I can buy nearly a 1000 dustpan and brushes for that.
http://www.rapidonline.com/Facilitie...sh-Set-89-6397

you've been ripped off,

no, I bought something I could turn round and sell for 3x the price if wanted, and usually lasts a lifetime. That's how to shop.

NT