Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thoughts on cordless vacuums please

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 13:46:28 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 28 September 2015 16:43:05 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:36:02 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Q for the OP. Are you looking for a replacement for an upright
cleaner,
or more of a handheld one

A replacement for our mains one.

Hum, unless battery technology has taken some very big steps recently
no way is a battery cleaner going to have the suck and run time of a
mains cleaner.

Pick any two: Suck, long run time, light weight.

So.
I don;t need a long run time 10mins is usually enough.

It certainly wouldn't be here.

How many hours a day do you vacuum ?

Not a question of how many hours a day - but how long in one go. Unless
you have spare batteries.

For me it's virutally the same question. Because I know I have 10mins
so I don't not cleaner for a month and go around just once a month.
uslly I pick a dusty place a vacuum it.
If I have to do a whole room or house I use my mains powered dyson.

Thing is, to me a vacuum cleaner is simply a tool.

Me too, are you implying I think it's a 'marital' aid ;-)

Not a fashion
statement. So I expect it to have a long long life.

I expect it to do a job where I put in minimal effort.
My broom has lasted me years but then I don't use it since I have a dyson.
So it will likely out live me, I don't have a problem with that, I'll leave it in my will.

Like any other
household appliance. My current Panasonic is over 20 years old and still
works just fine.

So does my broom, but it doesn;t do what I want and for me that is more important.

And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail.

So.

And can you
guarantee a replacement will be available at a reasonable price when it
does? Experience with most cordless tools says not.

couldn't care less.
I can't get HP3 film for my camera either do I care ?
Can;t buy model T ford cars either, and I'd relly like one of those early
lights that they had in teh first houses you know the ones where they stand them in liquid mercury.

Of course I wired this house myself. So there are plenty of convenient
sockets for a mains vacuum cleaner

I have a long extention lead and where that can;t reach I have a protable applience.

- I actually added more where the need
was found. So it really is no hardship to plug it in.

I have found even a plugged in cleaner is a real pain on the stairs I had a dirty devil, and when gettign cobwebs down from a corner the dyson is only bettered by a ken dodd tickle stick, but they rarely last longer than a batteries charge before I have to clean them.

Just ordered a new dyson V6 fluffy for at work.
No it will not be used as the cleaner for the university campus.

and if you really need longer get a spare battery like you do for cameras
and some laptops.