Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thoughts on cordless vacuums please

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 13:46:03 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Q for the OP. Are you looking for a replacement for an upright
cleaner, or more of a handheld one

A replacement for our mains one.

Hum, unless battery technology has taken some very big steps

recently
no way is a battery cleaner going to have the suck and run time

of a
mains cleaner.

Pick any two: Suck, long run time, light weight.

So.
I don;t need a long run time 10mins is usually enough.

It certainly wouldn't be here.

How many hours a day do you vacuum ?

Not a question of how many hours a day - but how long in one go.

Same here, takes the best part of a couple of hours to hoover most of
the place. 10 mins is hardly long enough to clean up after a couple
of holes being drilled.

Unless you have spare batteries.

And a fast charger that will fully recharge one in the ten minutes
the other is in use or three set of batteries and two chargers. Still
has to be a fairly "smart" charger to fully charge in 20 mins and not
cook the batteries.

And on any cordless tool ever made, the battery will fail. And can you
guarantee a replacement will be available at a reasonable price when it
does? Experience with most cordless tools says not.

Probably not as a ready to use spare, so one has to jump through the
recelling hoop. But I guess that's because I don't consider a duff
battery pack an excuse to bin what is otherwise a perfectly
functional tool.

--
Cheers
Dave.