Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thoughts on cordless vacuums please

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
You'd have thought DIY'ers would understand since rechargale drills came
into existance, we dont; all need to have tailing leads around our feet
when climbing ladders or doing other sfuff more than a yard from a power
point.

If you ever used a cordless drill for a task which takes longer than
drilling a hole or two, you'd realise why it doesn't equate to a vacuum
cleaner.

--
*Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
You don't have much experience of laptops, then.

yes I do probably more than you do. I work inb a uni where both staff
and studetns have them, most upgrade long before they need a new
battery.

Exactly.

Most laptops can still be used even if the battery doesn't hold it's
charge.

And a cordless vacuum cleaner?

But it's OK. You've pointed out that you're happy buying new each time a
battery fails.

I'd rather keep my money to spend on better things.

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Probably not as a ready to use spare, so one has to jump through the
recelling hoop. But I guess that's because I don't consider a duff
battery pack an excuse to bin what is otherwise a perfectly
functional tool.

Me niether, that's why they have replaceable batteries the same goes for
cars, who dumnps a car because the battereis flat ?

If the car was an electric one you might well end up junking it when the
batteries fail.

But I'd guess you'd not see the difference.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris French wrote:
I can stand our Miele cylinder on the main stairs, but I don't suppose
an upright would.

Of course it can. Rest it on the stair below the ones you're cleaning with
the hose. You don't need two hands for the hose.

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Many here seem to think a cordless can replace a mains one. As do the many
ads on TV.

Well I agree, I don't see how a cordless can replace a mains one. We
had a cordless Bosch hedge trimmer, since binned because the batteries
only lasted a year. Got the same model mains-powered and it's fine. One
just accepts the power cord faff as part of the faff of doing the job
anyway.

Yes. Same as other continuous use things like sanding. A cordless tool
would be hopeless for this. Other obvious one soldering. Even although a
cordless one would be nice for the few minutes it actually worked for. ;-)
Horses for courses.

I hate trimming hedges; do they do astrohedge?

One of the first things I did when moving here was to get rid of the
hedges. ;-)

--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 13:07:39 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
You'd have thought DIY'ers would understand since rechargale drills came
into existance, we dont; all need to have tailing leads around our feet
when climbing ladders or doing other sfuff more than a yard from a power
point.

If you ever used a cordless drill for a task which takes longer than
drilling a hole or two,

yes I have done. It was quicker than installing a spur in the room and far less hassel.
When I chiseld out the brickwork to so I could replace the single plug point to a double outlet, when I dysoned up I had the electric switched off so couldn;t use my mainhs powered.

you'd realise why it doesn't equate to a vacuum
cleaner.

No but people use them for similar reasons.
There's the manual, then mains powered, then portable battery powered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 12:47:28 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Not a question of how many hours a day - but how long in one go.

You don't use the cordless to vacuum the whole house. You use it for
jobs that would be inconvenient or awkward with any mains powered
machine, such as the top of pictures, picture rail, top of doors, that
sort of thing.

Fairy nuff. I do have a small cordless for small things like that.

Use the right tool for the job.

Many here seem to think a cordless can replace a mains one. As do the many
ads on TV.

That's because they can.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 12:49:21 UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 11:18:12 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 18:12:21 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 17:38:17 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Some people don't give a hoot about reliability or TCO, then expect handouts when life happens and they've squandered it all. And live forever wishing they had the money to do this that and the other.

8 vacs x £40 each = £320. I get one for a fiver and spend the rest on stuff that actually matters, that makes a difference.

I can buy nearly a 1000 dustpan and brushes for that.
http://www.rapidonline.com/Facilitie...sh-Set-89-6397

you've been ripped off,

no, I bought something I could turn round and sell for 3x the price if wanted, and usually lasts a lifetime. That's how to shop.

No that's how to set up a shop, differnt senerio and dyson make far more money from selling their vacs that you have from you're 8.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
If you ever used a cordless drill for a task which takes longer than
drilling a hole or two,

yes I have done. It was quicker than installing a spur in the room and
far less hassel.

Right. So you have rooms with no power points. Why didn't you say this in
the first place?

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

I hate trimming hedges; do they do astrohedge?

One of the first things I did when moving here was to get rid of the
hedges. ;-)

Well here they can be a useful windbreak, but we are considering the
same. Unless the council says that's not allowed in an AONB.

My house was built with iron railings. Removed WW2 to make Spitfires from.
;-) Hedges probably the cheapest thing to replace it with.

I do like the look of a neat hedge - but not the effort needed to keep it
like that.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 16:31:05 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
If you ever used a cordless drill for a task which takes longer than
drilling a hole or two,

yes I have done. It was quicker than installing a spur in the room and
far less hassel.

Right. So you have rooms with no power points.

Well only the bathroom and the back stairs to the garden.
But I'd just added an extra socket and teh CU box was off because I was chisiling the wall out, then I wanted to tidy up and the wires were there sticking out of teh box. Putting the CU back on would have been a bit risky when sticking teh nozal intoe newly made hole. if I had a car I guess I could use the 'fag' lighter but I don;t think they take the 3 pin manins plugs that come on mains vacuums.

So where there's no power or it's inconvient I use my portable.
I have a retina mac at home but I can;t really take it anywhere easily.
I could take it on teh tube but tehre;s no where to plug it in. Same with the bus. So if I want a carry around computer I use my ipad. Some use a mobile smart phone but I don;t have one, so I use the next best thing.

Why didn't you say this in
the first place?

because it's irrelivant, the OP never said they didn't have a powerpoint in the room or in their life.

he wanted "Thoughts on cordless vacuums please" he wasnt intrested that mains ones were better or even 3 phase ones might give more suction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 16:41:08 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

I hate trimming hedges; do they do astrohedge?

One of the first things I did when moving here was to get rid of the
hedges. ;-)

Well here they can be a useful windbreak, but we are considering the
same. Unless the council says that's not allowed in an AONB.

My house was built with iron railings. Removed WW2 to make Spitfires from.

I heard that was a falicy because the metal in such gates was very poor quality couldn't even be useed for bombs, but the plan was to just throw them out of planes, but the biggest use was properganda, everyone doing their bit for the war effort.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

I hate trimming hedges; do they do astrohedge?

One of the first things I did when moving here was to get rid of the
hedges. ;-)

Well here they can be a useful windbreak, but we are considering the
same. Unless the council says that's not allowed in an AONB.

My house was built with iron railings. Removed WW2 to make Spitfires from.
;-) Hedges probably the cheapest thing to replace it with.

No - not Spitfires - they used aluminium saucepans. railings went to make
tanks or warships.

I do like the look of a neat hedge - but not the effort needed to keep it
like that.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes

I hate trimming hedges; do they do astrohedge?

http://premierbarriers.co.uk/catalog/artificial-hedge-long-p-281.html
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

You'd have thought DIY'ers would understand since rechargale drills came
into existance, we dont; all need to have tailing leads around our feet
when climbing ladders or doing other sfuff more than a yard from a power
point.

If you ever used a cordless drill for a task which takes longer than
drilling a hole or two,

Last year I used a B&D 18v cordless drill. It did a full day's work without recharge and without flagging. Trigger control was excellent. Power output was never a problem. B&D went up a notch in my estimation after that.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 17:10:26 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:

I hate trimming hedges; do they do astrohedge?

One of the first things I did when moving here was to get rid of the
hedges. ;-)

Well here they can be a useful windbreak, but we are considering the
same. Unless the council says that's not allowed in an AONB.

My house was built with iron railings. Removed WW2 to make Spitfires from.
;-) Hedges probably the cheapest thing to replace it with.

No - not Spitfires - they used aluminium saucepans. railings went to make
tanks or warships.

Still not convinced about it.
How amny people had aluminium saucepans before WWII.

http://greatwen.com/2012/04/17/secre...r-ii-railings/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
If you ever used a cordless drill for a task which takes longer than
drilling a hole or two,

Last year I used a B&D 18v cordless drill. It did a full day's work
without recharge and without flagging.

It was use continuously for a full day?

Trigger control was excellent. Power output was never a problem. B&D
went up a notch in my estimation after that.

But a Lidl one even better. And cheaper.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
My house was built with iron railings. Removed WW2 to make Spitfires
from. ;-) Hedges probably the cheapest thing to replace it with.

No - not Spitfires - they used aluminium saucepans. railings went to
make tanks or warships.

Still not convinced about it.
How amny people had aluminium saucepans before WWII.

Dunno. But not many had railings after it.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 October 2015 14:19:01 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
If you ever used a cordless drill for a task which takes longer than
drilling a hole or two,

Last year I used a B&D 18v cordless drill. It did a full day's work
without recharge and without flagging.

It was use continuously for a full day?

How long is a full day ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 1 October 2015 14:19:01 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

nt:
If you ever used a cordless drill for a task which takes longer than
drilling a hole or two,

Last year I used a B&D 18v cordless drill. It did a full day's work
without recharge and without flagging.

It was use continuously for a full day?

we did something like 14hrs work drilling & screwing woodwork a day. It was still smiling at the end of each day.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
It was use continuously for a full day?

we did something like 14hrs work drilling & screwing woodwork a day. It
was still smiling at the end of each day.

Could mean anything in terms of the drill use.

--
*Too many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 October 2015 11:34:56 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

nt:
It was use continuously for a full day?

we did something like 14hrs work drilling & screwing woodwork a day. It
was still smiling at the end of each day.

Could mean anything in terms of the drill use.

It just means what I said. No-one attached a monitor to it to record seconds of use with speed & torque.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 2 October 2015 11:34:56 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

nt:
It was use continuously for a full day?

we did something like 14hrs work drilling & screwing woodwork a day.
It was still smiling at the end of each day.

Could mean anything in terms of the drill use.

It just means what I said. No-one attached a monitor to it to record
seconds of use with speed & torque.

So a pretty pointless comment in respect of a cordless vacuum cleaner.
Just how long the battery lasts while the tool is not being used is not of
much interest.

But the battery in your drill would not have lasted if used for a task
which needed near continuous use - like say sanding.

--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 October 2015 12:20:53 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

nt:
On Friday, 2 October 2015 11:34:56 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

nt:
It was use continuously for a full day?

we did something like 14hrs work drilling & screwing woodwork a day.
It was still smiling at the end of each day.

Could mean anything in terms of the drill use.

It just means what I said. No-one attached a monitor to it to record
seconds of use with speed & torque.

So a pretty pointless comment in respect of a cordless vacuum cleaner.

At the risk of stating the obvious it was a comment re cordless drills

Just how long the battery lasts while the tool is not being used is not of
much interest.

No. But what I said is.

But the battery in your drill would not have lasted if used for a task
which needed near continuous use - like say sanding.

Thank you for sharing with us the obvious. What is it about newsgroups that turns grown men into children?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
So a pretty pointless comment in respect of a cordless vacuum cleaner.

At the risk of stating the obvious it was a comment re cordless drills

It was a comment on your particular use of a cordless drill. Which despite
being asked about you chose not to answer.

Just how long the battery lasts while the tool is not being used is not of
much interest.

No. But what I said is.

Pointless.

But the battery in your drill would not have lasted if used for a task
which needed near continuous use - like say sanding.

Thank you for sharing with us the obvious. What is it about newsgroups
that turns grown men into children?

Perhaps you'd be the best one to answer that.

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 October 2015 11:28:12 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

nt:
So a pretty pointless comment in respect of a cordless vacuum cleaner.

At the risk of stating the obvious it was a comment re cordless drills

It was a comment on your particular use of a cordless drill. Which despite
being asked about you chose not to answer.

Just how long the battery lasts while the tool is not being used is not of
much interest.

No. But what I said is.

Pointless.

But the battery in your drill would not have lasted if used for a task
which needed near continuous use - like say sanding.

Thank you for sharing with us the obvious. What is it about newsgroups
that turns grown men into children?

Perhaps you'd be the best one to answer that.

Dumb cobblers x3. Bye