Never Enough Money

Default Vacuums & Noise

Fein Turbo II is rated at 58 decibles. The Shop Vac "Quiet Deluxe 6.5
HP" is rated at 82 decibels.

The rule of thumb I know is that 3 decibles corresponds to a doubling.
Thus the Shop Vac Quiet Deluxe 6.5 HP is 24 decibels louder, or 3 db +
3 db + ... + 3 db (8 times), or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2 to the 8'th power =
256 times louder.

Is that correct? If so, holy moly!

David

Never Enough Money wrote:

Fein Turbo II is rated at 58 decibles. The Shop Vac "Quiet Deluxe 6.5
HP" is rated at 82 decibels.

The rule of thumb I know is that 3 decibles corresponds to a doubling.
Thus the Shop Vac Quiet Deluxe 6.5 HP is 24 decibels louder, or 3 db +
3 db + ... + 3 db (8 times), or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2 to the 8'th power =
256 times louder.

Is that correct? If so, holy moly!

Probably. I've got a Fein. It's reasonably quiet for a shop vac. I've
owned Shop Vac's in the past and ended up mothballing them due to the
ear shattering noise. On a subjective basis I'd say the old Shop Vac
was about 25 times louder than the Fein.

Dave
Stephen M

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Fein Turbo II is rated at 58 decibles. The Shop Vac "Quiet Deluxe 6.5
HP" is rated at 82 decibels.

The rule of thumb I know is that 3 decibles corresponds to a doubling.
Thus the Shop Vac Quiet Deluxe 6.5 HP is 24 decibels louder, or 3 db +
3 db + ... + 3 db (8 times), or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2 to the 8'th power =
256 times louder.

Is that correct? If so, holy moly!

Sort of. It is a logorithmic scale and you you would be correct to say that
the amplitue of the sound wave is about 256 (actually 240) times greater.
Does that mean that percieved loudness is that much greater?.... no probably
not as that's not really how human hearing (both the ear and brain) works.
It's king of hard to objectively quantify peception.

-Steve

Todd Fatheree

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Fein Turbo II is rated at 58 decibles. The Shop Vac "Quiet Deluxe 6.5
HP" is rated at 82 decibels.

The rule of thumb I know is that 3 decibles corresponds to a doubling.
Thus the Shop Vac Quiet Deluxe 6.5 HP is 24 decibels louder, or 3 db +
3 db + ... + 3 db (8 times), or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2 to the 8'th power =
256 times louder.

Is that correct? If so, holy moly!

As you may know, decibels correspond to a logarithmic scale, and a +3dB
increase requires a doubling of the power to produce the sound. After a bit
of looking, it seems that the perceived loudness is closer to being
proportional to the the dB rating. So, the Shop Vac would be perceived to
be about 40% louder than the Fein. All of this is, of course, very
subjective as it depends on the person listening, the sound frequencies
involved, etc.

todd

BillyBob

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Fein Turbo II is rated at 58 decibles. The Shop Vac "Quiet Deluxe 6.5
HP" is rated at 82 decibels.

The rule of thumb I know is that 3 decibles corresponds to a doubling.
Thus the Shop Vac Quiet Deluxe 6.5 HP is 24 decibels louder, or 3 db +
3 db + ... + 3 db (8 times), or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2 to the 8'th power =
256 times louder.

Is that correct? If so, holy moly!

Yes. Then there's always the challenge of whether to believe the
manufacturer's claims. 58 db is incredibly quiet, but that is what the Fein
is known for.

Bob

Leon

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
news
As you may know, decibels correspond to a logarithmic scale, and a +3dB
increase requires a doubling of the power to produce the sound. After a
bit
of looking, it seems that the perceived loudness is closer to being
proportional to the the dB rating. So, the Shop Vac would be perceived to
be about 40% louder than the Fein. All of this is, of course, very
subjective as it depends on the person listening, the sound frequencies
involved, etc.

And the wind chill factor. LOL

"BillyBob" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Fein Turbo II is rated at 58 decibles. The Shop Vac "Quiet Deluxe 6.5
HP" is rated at 82 decibels.

The rule of thumb I know is that 3 decibles corresponds to a doubling.
Thus the Shop Vac Quiet Deluxe 6.5 HP is 24 decibels louder, or 3 db +
3 db + ... + 3 db (8 times), or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2 to the 8'th power =
256 times louder.

Is that correct? If so, holy moly!

Yes. Then there's always the challenge of whether to believe the
manufacturer's claims. 58 db is incredibly quiet, but that is what the

Fein
is known for.

Bob

I have the turboIII. It is bearable - unlike any other shopvac I've ever
used.
Though it does make the biscuit cutter howl when it is hooked up to it.

Todd Fatheree

"Leon" wrote in message
.. .

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
news
As you may know, decibels correspond to a logarithmic scale, and a +3dB
increase requires a doubling of the power to produce the sound. After a
bit
of looking, it seems that the perceived loudness is closer to being
proportional to the the dB rating. So, the Shop Vac would be perceived

be about 40% louder than the Fein. All of this is, of course, very
subjective as it depends on the person listening, the sound frequencies
involved, etc.

And the wind chill factor. LOL

Must be an inside joke.

todd

David

J wrote:

"BillyBob" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
groups.com...

Fein Turbo II is rated at 58 decibles. The Shop Vac "Quiet Deluxe 6.5
HP" is rated at 82 decibels.

The rule of thumb I know is that 3 decibles corresponds to a doubling.
Thus the Shop Vac Quiet Deluxe 6.5 HP is 24 decibels louder, or 3 db +
3 db + ... + 3 db (8 times), or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2 to the 8'th power =
256 times louder.

Is that correct? If so, holy moly!

Yes. Then there's always the challenge of whether to believe the
manufacturer's claims. 58 db is incredibly quiet, but that is what the

Fein

is known for.

Bob

I have the turboIII. It is bearable - unlike any other shopvac I've ever
used.
Though it does make the biscuit cutter howl when it is hooked up to it.

the noise from the BC is a function of the design of said BC; not the
fault of the vac.

Dave
Leon

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message

And the wind chill factor. LOL

Must be an inside joke.

Yes, sorry absolutely and inside joke. There is a discussion about wind
chill and feels like on another thread here.

Clint

While it may be the design of the biscuit cutter, it very well may be caused
by the vaccuum. When you start pumping ~100cfm (my ShopVac claims 185 on
it, IIRC) through whatever ducts and ports are on the biscuit cutter, it may
whistle or howl a bit.

Clint

"David" wrote in message
J wrote:

"BillyBob" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

LRod

On 1 Sep 2005 12:03:45 -0700, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

Fein Turbo II is rated at 58 decibles. The Shop Vac "Quiet Deluxe 6.5
HP" is rated at 82 decibels.

The rule of thumb I know is that 3 decibles corresponds to a doubling.
Thus the Shop Vac Quiet Deluxe 6.5 HP is 24 decibels louder, or 3 db +
3 db + ... + 3 db (8 times), or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2 to the 8'th power =
256 times louder.

Is that correct? If so, holy moly!

As someone else pointed out, it's logarithmic, so your calculation
isn't quite. An easier way to understand it is that 10 dB is actually
10x, and the next 10 is a power of 10 (10^2=100). So what you have is
20dB is x100, the next 3dB doubles that to 200, and the 1dB left over
is a fraction of x2, so around 220 or so is the decimal equivalent of
24dB.

It's those stray dB between 9 and 10 that messes your calculation up.
9 dB is 8x, but 10 dB is 10x.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

BillyBob

"LRod" wrote in message

As someone else pointed out, it's logarithmic, so your calculation
isn't quite. An easier way to understand it is that 10 dB is actually
10x, and the next 10 is a power of 10 (10^2=100). So what you have is
20dB is x100, the next 3dB doubles that to 200, and the 1dB left over
is a fraction of x2, so around 220 or so is the decimal equivalent of
24dB.

It's those stray dB between 9 and 10 that messes your calculation up.
9 dB is 8x, but 10 dB is 10x.

Now you had to go and analyze it and make me go check the math. Darn I hate
it when that happens. You had it right until that very last 1 db. A 1db
increase is a 1.26x increase. (200 * 1.26) = 251+

The formula for db is 10 * log (p1/p2). Its not a pure log function.
There's a 10x factor in there. There's a very cool webpage on this with
actual sound files at http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/dB.html.

Bob

David

Clint wrote:

While it may be the design of the biscuit cutter, it very well may be caused
by the vaccuum. When you start pumping ~100cfm (my ShopVac claims 185 on
it, IIRC) through whatever ducts and ports are on the biscuit cutter, it may
whistle or howl a bit.

Clint

"David" wrote in message

J wrote:

"BillyBob" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
legroups.com...

[...]

Absolutely. My PC ROS is so noisy when hooked up to the Fein that I
wear ear protection.

Dave
Steve Peterson

Going from 58 db to 82 db in musical notation is equivalent to "ppp to fff",
or an orchestra playing about as soft as it can (ppp) to as loud as it can
(fff). A big difference. Some reference levels are given at
http://www.coolmath.com/decibels1.htm. 58 db is awfully quiet.

Steve

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Fein Turbo II is rated at 58 decibles. The Shop Vac "Quiet Deluxe 6.5
HP" is rated at 82 decibels.

The rule of thumb I know is that 3 decibles corresponds to a doubling.
Thus the Shop Vac Quiet Deluxe 6.5 HP is 24 decibels louder, or 3 db +
3 db + ... + 3 db (8 times), or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2 to the 8'th power =
256 times louder.

Is that correct? If so, holy moly!

LRod

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 01:16:55 GMT, "BillyBob"
wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks. 1 dB always did give me trouble. Leave it to someone named
BillyBob to square me away. Would have been perfect if you were named
Bubba.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

I have the turboIII. It is bearable - unlike any other shopvac I've ever
used.
Though it does make the biscuit cutter howl when it is hooked up to it.

the noise from the BC is a function of the design of said BC; not the
fault of the vac.

Dave

Naturally. That is why I mentioned that the BC was howling, not the vac.
With the exception of the howl, using them together is great.
The autoswitch is a very nice feature.

David

J wrote:

I have the turboIII. It is bearable - unlike any other shopvac I've ever
used.
Though it does make the biscuit cutter howl when it is hooked up to it.

the noise from the BC is a function of the design of said BC; not the
fault of the vac.

Dave

Naturally. That is why I mentioned that the BC was howling, not the vac.
With the exception of the howl, using them together is great.
The autoswitch is a very nice feature.

yeah, I love the autoswitch for constant on/off operations. beats
reaching for a remote or worse yet, a switch on the Fein.

Dave
Robert Bonomi

In article .com,
Never Enough Money wrote:
Fein Turbo II is rated at 58 decibles. The Shop Vac "Quiet Deluxe 6.5
HP" is rated at 82 decibels.

The rule of thumb I know is that 3 decibles corresponds to a doubling.
Thus the Shop Vac Quiet Deluxe 6.5 HP is 24 decibels louder, or 3 db +
3 db + ... + 3 db (8 times), or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2 to the 8'th power =
256 times louder.

Is that correct? If so, holy moly!

"yeah, *BUT*" applies.

first, "spelling counts" it is 'decibels', not decibles. regular
metric units -- a deci-bel == 1/10 of a 'bel' (which is a log10 scale)

3 decibels -- or "0.3 bel" roughly corresponds (actually 0.3020+ bel) to
a doubling of the actual power in the acoustic signal.

So, yes, the _energy_, or "power" in the noise from the shop vac is 256 times
higher than the Fein.

HOWEVER, the sensitivity of the human ear is _also_ more-or-less logarithmic,
with regard to the power of the audio signal it receives.

Thus the Shop Vac will "apparently sound" only about 8-10 times louder than
the Fein.

Robert Bonomi

wrote:

Fein Turbo II is rated at 58 decibles. The Shop Vac "Quiet Deluxe 6.5
HP" is rated at 82 decibels.

The rule of thumb I know is that 3 decibles corresponds to a doubling.
Thus the Shop Vac Quiet Deluxe 6.5 HP is 24 decibels louder, or 3 db +
3 db + ... + 3 db (8 times), or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2 to the 8'th power =
256 times louder.

Is that correct? If so, holy moly!

As someone else pointed out, it's logarithmic, so your calculation
isn't quite. An easier way to understand it is that 10 dB is actually
10x, and the next 10 is a power of 10 (10^2=100). So what you have is
20dB is x100, the next 3dB doubles that to 200, and the 1dB left over
is a fraction of x2, so around 220 or so is the decimal equivalent of
24dB.

24dB is a factor of 251.2+ according to my engineering calculator.

It's those stray dB between 9 and 10 that messes your calculation up.
9 dB is 8x, but 10 dB is 10x.

His calculation was closer than yours. grin

when you've got a number that is a multiple of 3dB, "doubling by 3s"
will get you very close to a 'correct' answer.

consider a factor of 30dB. 'doubling', 10 times gives you a factor of
1024x, where the 'accurate' value is 100x. 'error' is less than 2.5%.

At 60dB, the 'doubling' error is less thant 5%. on a factor of 'one million'.

"Good enough for -most- practical purposes." grin

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article .com,
Never Enough Money wrote:
Fein Turbo II is rated at 58 decibles. The Shop Vac "Quiet Deluxe 6.5
HP" is rated at 82 decibels.

The rule of thumb I know is that 3 decibles corresponds to a doubling.
Thus the Shop Vac Quiet Deluxe 6.5 HP is 24 decibels louder, or 3 db +
3 db + ... + 3 db (8 times), or 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2 to the 8'th power =
256 times louder.

Is that correct? If so, holy moly!

"yeah, *BUT*" applies.

first, "spelling counts" it is 'decibels', not decibles. regular
metric units -- a deci-bel == 1/10 of a 'bel' (which is a log10 scale)

3 decibels -- or "0.3 bel" roughly corresponds (actually 0.3020+ bel) to

argh! typo; make that .3010+ (.301029995663981+ for the finicky