Default Expected Noise Level of Various Air Conditioners

I feel that my window air conditioners are too noisy. Actually, there
is nothing wrong with the air conditioners; I am just too sensitive to
noise especially when I need to go to sleep. I am thinking of replacing
them with some kind of split system that has the noisy compressor
placed outdoor. Because of the fact that my house is not suitable for
running ductwork (no attic), I probably prefer a ductless split system
that has a blower indoor. Now the question is:

How quiet those ductless split system is as
comparing to a window air conditioner?

I would really hate to spend a lot of money getting a ductless split
system installed and then discover that the it (the blower) is not much
quieter than the window air conditioner that it has replaced.

My questions a

- The spec of one of the most quiet mini-split system says that its
indoor unit generates 40-db or something. According to www.Oneida.com,
40-db is like the noise from a normal conversation. Honestly, I don't
really know how noisy a "normal conversation" is as applying to an air
conditioner. But surely this doesn't sound very good. What's people
opinion on this based on their personal experience with a ductless
split system? Do they find the noise level to be acceptable for
sleeping? How much difference of its noise as comparing to the noise
from air flowing through an air register of a central air conditioner
(with ductwork)?

- How a noise level was rated? Are they all rated 3-ft away from the
air conditioner?

- What's the common noise level of a modern window air conditioner
being sold within the last 2 years or so? Something like low-50-db or
high-60-db? I don't have a sound-meter available (at least not yet); I
cannot measure the noise level of my existing window air conditioners.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Sorry for the wrong URL address. The web site that I was referring to
should be:

http://www.oneida-air.com/

And we can find the info in that web site in this way:
--- Tech Resources
--- Noise Levels Explained
--- See our chart of common everyday items and
the associated noise level associated with it.

Seem like I remember the description of noise level 40-db wrong. It
should be "Quiet conversation" instead of "Normal conversation". This
means a split system that has 40-db noise level of its indoor unit
"seems" to be quiet acceptable...

Jay Chan

wrote:
[...]

This should be less expensive to mask the noise using a sound generator
of some sort. But I don't like the idea of using a sound generator to
mask the noise, and I have a feeling that I will get sick of listening
to the sound from a sound generator. For example, I would turn off the
radio in a room after I have been in the room a while; I just don't
like white noise.

The other reason of trying to get a new air conditioner is that I have
two rooms (2nd floor and basement) that I need air conditioning and I
cannot fit a window air conditioner in those locations (and I don't
like those portable air conditioner either because they are likely to
be very noisy). I am trying to kill two birds with one stone: Buy a
split system then I can reduce noise and can introduce air conditioning
in areas that don't have air conditioning currently.

Any idea of the noise level of a ductless split system as comparing to
a window air conditioner?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Steve Stone wrote:
In article .com,
says...
I feel that my window air conditioners are too noisy.

Would it be less expensive to mask the noise with another acceptable
noise from a sound conditioner ?

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Any idea of the noise level of a ductless split system as comparing to
a window air conditioner?

Thanks.

http://global.mitsubishielectric.com...p/index_b.html
http://global.mitsubishielectric.com..._p/l_a1_b.html
They give a dB reading of 29.5 on one of these.

A 25 dB rating on the smaller of these units.
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.sg...ingle_non1.asp

I have no idea how good they are and I've never seen one run. Looks far
superior in design than the cheap window shakers though.
Ed

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My old Goodman 3T out side condenser measure 88 db at 10 feet and 78 db at
15 feet where my patio was. My brothers was over a 100 before we put the
sound blanket on it.
There are companies that make sound blankets for the compressors. They will
help ~ 4-8 db maybe a bit more.
It may take some time for you to get used to the new environment. I have the
same problem when I travel. Some window shakers in some hotel rooms are
hideous. I carry a set of soft ear plugs for those nights.

Phil Yarbrough

You have way too much time on your hands.

G Henslee

Phil Yarbrough wrote:
You have way too much time on your hands.

Who are you talking to?
I R Baboon

you can pick up a pair of soft foam ear plugs for about 10 cents

G Henslee

I R Baboon wrote:
you can pick up a pair of soft foam ear plugs for about 10 cents

Who are you talking to?

there are ac window units with the working parts hanging out and down
the window. how about an air handler put under your house and a duct
to each room, and the compressor outside a non bedroom area.. those are
pretty darn quiet. lucas

Thanks for the links to split system with a very quiet indoor unit.
This gives me hope that I should be able to find a ductless split
system that is very quiet without the use of a central air conditioner
with ductwork.

Seem like I can always count on you to give me great info on home
improvement and woodworking issues. I appreciate that.

Jay Chan

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

Any idea of the noise level of a ductless split system as comparing to
a window air conditioner?

Thanks.

http://global.mitsubishielectric.com...p/index_b.html
http://global.mitsubishielectric.com..._p/l_a1_b.html
They give a dB reading of 29.5 on one of these.

A 25 dB rating on the smaller of these units.
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.sg...ingle_non1.asp

I have no idea how good they are and I've never seen one run. Looks far
superior in design than the cheap window shakers though.
Ed

Using a sound blanket to reduce noise is an interesting idea. I didn't
know that there is such a thing called sound blanket. Nevertheless, I
doubt that it will work because we cannot cover the whole air
compressor, we still need to leave many room for venting air, and the
noise will come right out.

I have been living in my house for over 5 years. Therefore, it is not a
new house, and this is where the problem is. If it had been a new
house, it should have a proper attic, and I would have no problem
asking people to run ductwork to the second floor of my house, and I
would have a central air-conditioner installed a couple years ago.

I didn't realize that some hotels still use window air conditioners.
The last motel I went to already had central air conditioning. I guess
I have not been doing a lot of traveling in my life.

Yes, I have been using a pair of soft ear plugs since we start turning
on the window air conditioner in early summer. But I would much rather
not wearing them if I can. Their use simply takes away the pleasure of
sleeping. I guess this is a personal preference. I am sure that many
people have no problem wearing ear plugs to sleep.

Jay Chan

My old Goodman 3T out side condenser measure 88 db at 10 feet and 78 db at
15 feet where my patio was. My brothers was over a 100 before we put the
sound blanket on it.
There are companies that make sound blankets for the compressors. They will
help ~ 4-8 db maybe a bit more.
It may take some time for you to get used to the new environment. I have the
same problem when I travel. Some window shakers in some hotel rooms are
hideous. I carry a set of soft ear plugs for those nights.

bob smith

a sound level of 40dB is fairly quiet, and 30dB is extremely quiet. Most
mini splits are around 35dB (compared to window units which are usually over
50dB). Panasonic has a mini split that is 26dB(!) in low mode.

mini-splits are *way* quieter than windows units, no question about it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Are you referring to a mini-split-system? This will work for one room.
But I am thinking of cooling 3 rooms (two bed rooms and one basement).
I am under the impression that we need a HVAC professional to install a
mini-split-system. If we need to pay for a HVAC professional to install
three mini-split-system, we may as well ask him to install a ductless
split system that has three indoor air blowers that shares one air
compressor. I think this "may" be cheaper, and should be better in term
of cutting down noise the we will hear indoor, and we would not have
many ugly outdoor units hanging right outside the window.

how about an air handler put under your house and a duct
to each room, and the compressor outside a non bedroom area.. those are
pretty darn quiet. lucas

This works for the first floor. But we would have problem to run
ductwork to the second floor because we don't have an attic. All the
piping would have to go straight up through closets, kitchen, living
room...etc. We also need room for ductwork for return air from the
second floor. This would be an ugly work and would disrupt our lives
while the ductwork is being put in place. A couple years ago, I asked
HVAC guys to come over to see if they can install a central air
conditioning system in my house. But the proposed ways of running
ductwork were really not satisfactory to me and this has a lot to do
with the fact that my house doesn't have an attic...

Jay Chan

Thanks for giving me the assessment of various noise levels from air
conditioning equipment. This helps me in comparing various options in
air conditioning. Seem like ductless split system (including mini-split
that you have mentioned) is quiet enough, and is an appropriate option
of air conditioning for a person who hates noise.

By the way, I have already ordered a sound meter for measuring the
noise from various household applicants. Then I would be able to gauge
the noise level personally to see how I feel of devices that generate
30-db, 40-db... I will also use it for balancing the speakers of my
future home entertainment system; but this is off-topics...

Jay Chan