Hi Ho Silver

Default Home A/C Return Air Noise

The rush of return air flow through my plenum cover and air filter is very
noisy and I am wondering if the builder left out some noise reduction
feature. This is not 'mechanical' noise, but the 'wind rush' noise.
The return filter opening is at floor level and the air makes an
upward turn to enter the fan suction which is about 30-33 inches
above the floor inside the return plenum. The filter size is 20"x25". The
actual entrance to the fan is smaller, looks to be about 18"x18" (perhaps
that hole is too small?). There is nothing between the filter and the fan
suction; should there be some kind of 'noise reduction baffle' in that
location? Any hints appreciated. Thanks,
--
John Hanley

To send return email:
jphanley
@
ix.
netcom.
com
p.s. apology for the cross posting, I'm not sure where my question is best
asked.

B-Hate-Me

"Hi Ho Silver" wrote in message
link.net...
The rush of return air flow through my plenum cover and air filter is very
noisy and I am wondering if the builder left out some noise reduction
feature. This is not 'mechanical' noise, but the 'wind rush' noise.
The return filter opening is at floor level and the air makes an
upward turn to enter the fan suction which is about 30-33 inches
above the floor inside the return plenum. The filter size is 20"x25".
The
actual entrance to the fan is smaller, looks to be about 18"x18" (perhaps
that hole is too small?). There is nothing between the filter and the fan
suction; should there be some kind of 'noise reduction baffle' in that
location? Any hints appreciated. Thanks,

Call the ****ing builder and stop bitching to us.........

Pop

Assuming it's done to spec mechanically, perhaps the fan's just pushing too
much air too fast? Not an exptert by any means, but I do know you can often
adjust the pulleys (set screw on the motor pulley can make it bigger &
smaller).
Or, there is air supposed to be entering somewhere else? It almost
sounds like all the air is being pulled in thru one opening? Usually there
are more than one, sometimes several; are any closed off?

--
Let someone else do it
I'm retired!
[...]

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:51:56 -0400, "Pop"
wrote:

Assuming it's done to spec mechanically, perhaps the fan's just pushing too
much air too fast? Not an exptert by any means, but I do know you can often
adjust the pulleys (set screw on the motor pulley can make it bigger &
smaller).
Or, there is air supposed to be entering somewhere else? It almost
sounds like all the air is being pulled in thru one opening? Usually there
are more than one, sometimes several; are any closed off?

Save your wild-assed guesses for something you actually have
information about.

Click every day here to feed an animal that needs you today !!!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
Dr. Hardcrab

"Hi Ho Silver" wrote in message
link.net...
The rush of return air flow through my plenum cover and air filter is very
noisy and I am wondering if the builder left out some noise reduction
feature. This is not 'mechanical' noise, but the 'wind rush' noise.
The return filter opening is at floor level and the air makes an
upward turn to enter the fan suction which is about 30-33 inches
above the floor inside the return plenum. The filter size is 20"x25".
The
actual entrance to the fan is smaller, looks to be about 18"x18" (perhaps
that hole is too small?). There is nothing between the filter and the fan
suction; should there be some kind of 'noise reduction baffle' in that
location? Any hints appreciated. Thanks,

Sounds to me (O.K., I can't hear it, but you know what I mean) like the
ductwork was not sized properly. If the system has been "choked" down
(improper return size or not enough supply vents) then you can get all kinds
of noises.....

stretch

If you have velocity noise at the return filter grille, it could be a
restrictive grille or a restrictive filter.

If you have a high efficiency filter like a washable plastic
electrostatic filter or a pleated filter, they have a high resistance
to air flow. Some of the air will bypass the filter if it is not a
good fit in the grille or holder, causing a rushing noise.

If the fins on the grille are 1/3 inch apart, common on builder's
grade, they tend to be noisy, especially if the area of the grille is
less than 200 Square inches per ton. A 20 x25 grille will usually get
noisy above about 2-1/2 tons. You can put in a steel grille with 1/2
inch fin spacing or an aluminum grille with 2/3 inch fin spacing to
reduce air noise. Or you can install a larger grille or an aditional
grille.
If the vanes on the grille are opposed to the direction of air flow in
a duct, you can turn the grille around to reduce noise

If you add baffles, you will reduce air flow, which will reduce the
capacity and efficiency of the system. If you think you have too much
air flow, find a contractor with an air flow hood or hot wire
annemometer who can accurately measure air flow. Do not reduce air
flow unless you are SURE that you have too much.

I am emailing you an article on high efficiency filters that I wrote.

Stretch

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:19:11 GMT, "Hi Ho Silver"
wrote:

The rush of return air flow through my plenum cover and air filter is very
noisy and I am wondering if the builder left out some noise reduction
feature. This is not 'mechanical' noise, but the 'wind rush' noise.
The return filter opening is at floor level and the air makes an
upward turn to enter the fan suction which is about 30-33 inches
above the floor inside the return plenum. The filter size is 20"x25". The
actual entrance to the fan is smaller, looks to be about 18"x18" (perhaps
that hole is too small?). There is nothing between the filter and the fan
suction; should there be some kind of 'noise reduction baffle' in that
location? Any hints appreciated. Thanks,

step 1) take the filter out of the return filter opening
and see if that makes a difference.

step 2) with the filter in place, prop open the return air
grill. see if that makes a difference. Is the return air
grill of the "stamped face" variety, or is it of the "bar
type" variety.

Builder model homes typically have cheap, stamped face
supply and return air grills. These impose too great of a
restriction on the air flow. Change them out to commercial
grade bar type supply & return grills, and your air noise
problems may go away.
PrecisionMachinisT

"Pop" wrote in message
Assuming it's done to spec mechanically, perhaps the fan's just pushing

too
much air too fast? Not an exptert by any means, but I do know you can

often
adjust the pulleys (set screw on the motor pulley can make it bigger &
smaller).
Or, there is air supposed to be entering somewhere else? It almost
sounds like all the air is being pulled in thru one opening? Usually

there
are more than one, sometimes several; are any closed off?

The above alone is enough to discredit any advice you may give.

Obviously, you dont have one....yet you still can't keep your mouth shut....

--

SVL

Kyle Boatright

[...]

I owned a house with a similar problem. The issues were 1) Sheet metal is a
good radiator of noise. 2) The return was installed with a right angle bend
that caused turbulent flow.

What I did was to pop rivet a radiused curve over the right angle in the
ducting to reduce the turbulence in the airflow. Next, I purchased some
sound deadening materials and applied them inside the return. The return
was probably a cube of about 3' on each side.

These two band-aid fixes made a difference.

KB

Noon-Air

"Hi Ho Silver" wrote in message
link.net...
The rush of return air flow through my plenum cover and air filter is very
noisy and I am wondering if the builder left out some noise reduction
feature. This is not 'mechanical' noise, but the 'wind rush' noise.
The return filter opening is at floor level and the air makes an
upward turn to enter the fan suction which is about 30-33 inches
above the floor inside the return plenum. The filter size is 20"x25".
The
actual entrance to the fan is smaller, looks to be about 18"x18" (perhaps
that hole is too small?). There is nothing between the filter and the fan
suction; should there be some kind of 'noise reduction baffle' in that
location? Any hints appreciated. Thanks,

For only an 18x18 return its gonna have to be a real small furnace....
How about post the make/model/serial number of the furnace so we can find
out what its rated for on the airflow and we're not just guessing here.
Links to pics would be helpfull too.

Ron

I had the same problem after having my 2 1/2 ton air handler replaced
with a 3 ton unit 2 months ago.

With the gill open the noise went away.

So, what I did, was remove every other fin from the grill/grate, problem
solved.

Keep in mind I don't have a "stamped" grill/grate. It is a heavy duty
one made out of alumium. I took the frame apart and removed every other
fin. That increased the openings from 3/8" to 3/4" between the fins. The
ONLY thing I don't like about it is, you can now see the filter but
after a while you don't even notice it.

As another poster recommended going with a commercial grill/grate should
solve the problem. Just make sure the space between the fins is greater
than what you have now.

Or, you could just (if you grill is stamped) cut out every other fin
smooth the edges with a file and see if that takes care of the problem.
You might want to try this first because those grills AREN'T cheap!

Also, to the poster that mentioned NOT to use a plastic electrostactic
filter, that is what I'm using and it cut down on the wind noise
significantly over pleated filters, while also keeping my unit, home and
nose clean. : )

Ron

noon air wrote;
For only an 18x18 return its gonna have
to be a real small furnace.... How about
post the make/model/serial number of
the furnace so we can find out what its
rated for on the airflow and we're not
just guessing here. Links to pics would
be helpfull too.

I just had a Trane 3 ton air handler installed and the opening going
into mine is about the same size.

Actually it's where the filter slides into for units that are installed
inside the dewelling. ie; Apts, condos, depluxes, etc., NOT houses where
the handler is in the garage. Although a house that doesn't have a
garage has to have it installed in the house.

Apparently these "newer" air handlers are getting smaller. The
foot-print of this new Trane is about 6" smaller than the 20 yr old 2
1/2 ton "Comfort Maker" air handler that I replaced.

Also, I have a heatpump and the emergency/aux heating coil is smaller
than the one in my older unit (i saw it when they pulled the old unit)
but according to the AC company it's the same size.

Bull****, it doesn't even get HOT, it gets WARM.

Good thing I live in Fl! LOL

Hi Ho Silver

Thanks for various suggestions. I did the test of running without the
return air filter, and the wind noise is even worse that way. The wind
noise is
plainly coming from the fan per se.

A label on the unit "installers instruction manual" shows:

Consolidated Industries
Lafayette, IN
Mod # MBA 080 NH4R
Serial # 990917039

My house is in Houston, TX and was built in 1999. The house has 1500 sq
ft, is on one floor, and the furnace is in an alcove in the house (not in
the attic). The unit handles both heat in the winter and a/c in the
summer. I think the air flow with a/c must be higher than with heat,
because the air wind noise is higher with the a/c. I have some pictures,
and
send them to you via email if you like.

Thanks,
--
John Hanley

To send return email:
jphanley
@
ix.
netcom.
com

"Noon-Air" wrote in message

[...]

stretch

The furnace sounds awful big for the size house you have and the
climate. Maybe get a load calculation done, your system may be too
big.

Stretch

Robert

wrote:

[...]

Metal eggcrate grills are great for this problem. Most of the time in a
direct return situation, the duct size isn't the problem, but the grill face
is too small.
Eggcrate grills obviously will have the least amount of grill face.

Rob