Thanks for giving me the assessment of various noise levels from air
conditioning equipment. This helps me in comparing various options in
air conditioning. Seem like ductless split system (including mini-split
that you have mentioned) is quiet enough, and is an appropriate option
of air conditioning for a person who hates noise.

By the way, I have already ordered a sound meter for measuring the
noise from various household applicants. Then I would be able to gauge
the noise level personally to see how I feel of devices that generate
30-db, 40-db... I will also use it for balancing the speakers of my
future home entertainment system; but this is off-topics...

Jay Chan

bob smith wrote:
a sound level of 40dB is fairly quiet, and 30dB is extremely quiet. Most
mini splits are around 35dB (compared to window units which are usually over
50dB). Panasonic has a mini split that is 26dB(!) in low mode.

mini-splits are *way* quieter than windows units, no question about it.