Quddus

Default Makita Cordless 18V Drill - Chuck Noise

Hi,

My drill (8443 combi) arrived last week and I am thrilled to bits with
it.
It is by far the best drill I have had the pleasure to hold in my
hand.

The only doubt I have about this drill is the noise that seems to come
from the chuck.

In high speed mode with the drill spinning freely as soon as the
trigger is let go and the drill stops spinning it does so with a
series of clunks. Almost like the noise you get from an impact drill
driver. This happens every single time in high speed mode and in low
speed mode I can hear the electric brake operating and there is no
such noise.

The noise is particularly alarming when the drill rotating direction
is alternated the and the same pressing and letting go of the trigger
performed.

1. The noise is not the same ratcheting sound made when tightening the
chuck
2. The noise happens even if there is a bit in the chuck.
3. Changing from hammer to drill only mode has no effect.
4. As far as i can tell the noise is not come from the clutch but only
from the chuck.
5. I have not used it on anything yet apart from just a few 4" screws.

If others have the same drill please can you comment on whether this
is just part of the drills make up or whether mine may have a problem
with it. As i bought it online I'd like to know what others think
before contacting the company.

As always thank you all for your help.
Grunff

Quddus wrote:

If others have the same drill please can you comment on whether this
is just part of the drills make up or whether mine may have a problem
with it. As i bought it online I'd like to know what others think
before contacting the company.

Hmmm. I have the same drill. The only noise I hear as it stops is the
chuck lock, which is pretty much a single clunk. I don't think it's any
louder when stopping at high speed.

So what happens is the electronic brake stops the drill spinning, then a
mechanical lock engages to stop the chuck from turning (so you can
change the bit with one hand).

You say a series of clunks, and this sounds odd. Are they quick clunks?
How many of them?

--
Grunff
Quddus

Grunff wrote in message ..

Hmmm. I have the same drill. The only noise I hear as it stops is the
chuck lock, which is pretty much a single clunk. I don't think it's any
louder when stopping at high speed.

there is a definite difference in the noise from the chuck on my drill
at the two different speeds. The low speed one comes to a smooth stop
whereas in higher speed it more of stutters and clunks to a stop. See
the clips below...

So what happens is the electronic brake stops the drill spinning, then a
mechanical lock engages to stop the chuck from turning (so you can
change the bit with one hand).

You say a series of clunks, and this sounds odd. Are they quick clunks?
How many of them?

The clunks are very quick in sucession and there are about three.
please view the audio and video and see what you think. I should warn
you that the video is about 3 megs but the audio is pretty small.

http://www.aq.eclipse.co.uk/Ebay/Mutimedia/

The two files can be found at the above page.

Cheers.
Grunff

Quddus wrote:

The clunks are very quick in sucession and there are about three.
please view the audio and video and see what you think. I should warn
you that the video is about 3 megs but the audio is pretty small.

http://www.aq.eclipse.co.uk/Ebay/Mutimedia/

Sounds exactly the same as mine. It's just the chuck lock engaging. It
bounces a little when stopping from higher speed, hence the more
noticeable clicking.

FWIW, my old Bosch which also had auto chuck lock used to make a far
more alarming noise.

--
Grunff
Richard Sterry

Grunff wrote:
Quddus wrote:

The clunks are very quick in sucession and there are about three.
please view the audio and video and see what you think. I should warn
you that the video is about 3 megs but the audio is pretty small.

http://www.aq.eclipse.co.uk/Ebay/Mutimedia/

Sounds exactly the same as mine. It's just the chuck lock engaging. It
bounces a little when stopping from higher speed, hence the more
noticeable clicking.

FWIW, my old Bosch which also had auto chuck lock used to make a far
more alarming noise.

Yup, my Bosch makes a louder and more alarming noise than that, too. Don't
seem like anything to worry about.

Rick

Quddus

Grunff wrote in message ...
Quddus wrote:

The clunks are very quick in sucession and there are about three.
please view the audio and video and see what you think. I should warn
you that the video is about 3 megs but the audio is pretty small.

http://www.aq.eclipse.co.uk/Ebay/Mutimedia/

Sounds exactly the same as mine. It's just the chuck lock engaging. It
bounces a little when stopping from higher speed, hence the more
noticeable clicking.

Phew!!!
Thanks for clearing that up and putting my mind at ease. Ive not
owned a auto spindle lock drill before and hence my concern with the
new "noise". I thought it must be something to do with the chuck but
never thought that such a noise would be standard on a high end drill.

FWIW, my old Bosch which also had auto chuck lock used to make a far
more alarming noise.

If my new drill made a noise louder than the makita then I would have
panicked and taken it straight to the A&E.... errr i mean
supplier..... :-)