Quddus

Default Makita Cordless 18V Drill - Chuck Noise

Hi,

My drill (8443 combi) arrived last week and I am thrilled to bits with
it.
It is by far the best drill I have had the pleasure to hold in my
hand.

The only doubt I have about this drill is the noise that seems to come
from the chuck.

In high speed mode with the drill spinning freely as soon as the
trigger is let go and the drill stops spinning it does so with a
series of clunks. Almost like the noise you get from an impact drill
driver. This happens every single time in high speed mode and in low
speed mode I can hear the electric brake operating and there is no
such noise.

The noise is particularly alarming when the drill rotating direction
is alternated the and the same pressing and letting go of the trigger
performed.

1. The noise is not the same ratcheting sound made when tightening the
chuck
2. The noise happens even if there is a bit in the chuck.
3. Changing from hammer to drill only mode has no effect.
4. As far as i can tell the noise is not come from the clutch but only
from the chuck.
5. I have not used it on anything yet apart from just a few 4" screws.

If others have the same drill please can you comment on whether this
is just part of the drills make up or whether mine may have a problem
with it. As i bought it online I'd like to know what others think
before contacting the company.

As always thank you all for your help.