Niel A. Farrow

Default how do I change electric drill chuck?

I've bought a new 3/8 keyless chuck for my B&D drill and even before I
can find out that the new one is the wrong type and doesn't fit I'm stuck,
since I can't get the old one off the drill (old one doesn't tighten
very well and works loose).

I've removed the screw from the chuck, where one inserts the drill bit,
but the chuck is still very tight etc.

I've looked in my DIY books and skill books but no help ..

Thank you,
Neil
Matt

IIRC correctly when I changed the knackered chuck on my black and decker
cordless (some time ago now) I removed the screw, inserted a rod of some
sort in the key hole, and whacked it with a hammer, left hand thread I
guess. Good luck.

Matt

"Niel A. Farrow" wrote in message
I've bought a new 3/8 keyless chuck for my B&D drill and even before I
can find out that the new one is the wrong type and doesn't fit I'm stuck,
since I can't get the old one off the drill (old one doesn't tighten
very well and works loose).

I've removed the screw from the chuck, where one inserts the drill bit,
but the chuck is still very tight etc.

I've looked in my DIY books and skill books but no help ..

Thank you,
Neil

---

MrCheerful

Niel A. Farrow wrote:
I've bought a new 3/8 keyless chuck for my B&D drill and even before

can find out that the new one is the wrong type and doesn't fit I'm
stuck, since I can't get the old one off the drill (old one doesn't
tighten very well and works loose).

I've removed the screw from the chuck, where one inserts the drill
bit, but the chuck is still very tight etc.

I've looked in my DIY books and skill books but no help ..

Thank you,
Neil

Having removed the central locking screw from the chuck, get a large
allen key and insert into the chuck and tighten chuck, use a hammer to
hit the end of the allen key so as to rotate the chuck off the nose of
the drill, if it is a geared multo speed drill then put it to low
speed. The chuck needs to rotate anticlock wise (looked at from the
open end of the chuck)

MrCheerful

RichardS

"Niel A. Farrow" wrote in message
I've bought a new 3/8 keyless chuck for my B&D drill and even before I
can find out that the new one is the wrong type and doesn't fit I'm stuck,
since I can't get the old one off the drill (old one doesn't tighten
very well and works loose).

I've removed the screw from the chuck, where one inserts the drill bit,
but the chuck is still very tight etc.

I've looked in my DIY books and skill books but no help ..

Thank you,
Neil

As others have said, it is screwed on with a reverse thread screw.

I normally put an allen key in the chuck, tighten up, grab hold, put drill
in reverse, lowest gear & squeeze trigger. If it was really stuck, or a
mains drill (prolly take my hand off!) I'd clamp the allen key in a vice.

All depends whether your drill's got enough torque to free the chuck.

cheers
Richard
--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

MrCheerful

RichardS wrote:
[...]

No, chucks have a conventional thread. The locking screw is left hand
thread.

MrCheerful

RichardS

"MrCheerful" wrote ...

As others have said, it is screwed on with a reverse thread screw.

I normally put an allen key in the chuck, tighten up, grab hold, put
drill in reverse, lowest gear & squeeze trigger. If it was really
stuck, or a mains drill (prolly take my hand off!) I'd clamp the
allen key in a vice.

All depends whether your drill's got enough torque to free the

chuck.

No, chucks have a conventional thread. The locking screw is left hand
thread.

MrCheerful

doh! you're right, sorry.

mine doesnt have a locking screw (spindle has a hex socket to accept driver
bits, so a screw would be a PITA), and whilst going through the mental
motions I somehow got things twisted around....

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Niel A. Farrow wrote:
I've bought a new 3/8 keyless chuck for my B&D drill and even before I
can find out that the new one is the wrong type and doesn't fit I'm
stuck, since I can't get the old one off the drill (old one doesn't
tighten very well and works loose).

I've removed the screw from the chuck, where one inserts the drill bit,
but the chuck is still very tight etc.

Once upon a time, you had to remove chucks regularly to fit attachments.
And the recommended way was to insert the chuck key and hit it with a
hammer...

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
parish

RichardS wrote:
As others have said, it is screwed on with a reverse thread screw.

Huh? A drill normally rotates clockwise (viewed from the rear) so if the
bit snatches, such as when breaking through when drilling metal, it
would tend to undo the chuck if it were a LH thread. I bet it's the
locking screw that's a southpaw...hang on....just been out to the garage
(any excuse to get out of the house with this heat :-) )...yep, the
locking screw is LH thread on my old B&D Quattro.

RichardS

"parish" parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote in message
RichardS wrote:
As others have said, it is screwed on with a reverse thread screw.

Huh? A drill normally rotates clockwise (viewed from the rear) so if the
bit snatches, such as when breaking through when drilling metal, it
would tend to undo the chuck if it were a LH thread. I bet it's the
locking screw that's a southpaw...hang on....just been out to the garage
(any excuse to get out of the house with this heat :-) )...yep, the
locking screw is LH thread on my old B&D Quattro.

Yup, acknowledged that mistake in response to previous post. (don't ya just
hate it when you press "send" without fully engaging the brain!!!!)

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Roger Mills

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message

Once upon a time, you had to remove chucks regularly to fit attachments.
And the recommended way was to insert the chuck key and hit it with a
hammer...

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Yes, but OP has got a *keyless* chuck!

The nearest equivalent would be to clamp the short end of an Allen key in
the chuck, and then to give the long end a sharp tap with a hammer (as has
already been suggested by others earlier in the thread).

Roger

MrCheerful

JonBoy wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote in
:

And the recommended way was to insert the chuck key and hit it
with a hammer...

...hit with a mallet or rubber hammer *in the correct direction* as
the chuck is (probably) on a LH thread.

No, chucks are standard RH thread or they would unscrew when putting
screws in or when the drill jams.

MrCheerful

JonBoy

"MrCheerful" wrote in
:

No, chucks are standard RH thread or they would unscrew when
putting screws in or when the drill jams.

MrCheerful

You're right. The first part is still valid:

....hit with a mallet or rubber hammer *in the correct direction*.

My mis-recollection was of some idiot (not me!) belting hell out
of a chuck key with a steel hammer, trying to unscrew the chuck
the wrong direction.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Yes, but OP has got a *keyless* chuck!

He says the new one is - but is the old one? ;-)

The nearest equivalent would be to clamp the short end of an Allen key
in the chuck, and then to give the long end a sharp tap with a hammer
(as has already been suggested by others earlier in the thread).

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Dave Plowman

In article ,
JonBoy wrote:
...hit with a mallet or rubber hammer *in the correct direction* as
the chuck is (probably) on a LH thread.

No - a standard chuck has a right hand thread since basic drills go
clockwise. Reversing drills have a locking screw which is left hand thread.

--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Niel A. Farrow

In article ,
Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
JonBoy wrote:
...hit with a mallet or rubber hammer *in the correct direction* as
the chuck is (probably) on a LH thread.

No - a standard chuck has a right hand thread since basic drills go
clockwise. Reversing drills have a locking screw which is left hand thread.

Thanks for all the advice. Managed to do it. Retaining screw was LH
threaded and chuck was a normal RH thread.
Neil

JonBoy

JonBoy wrote in news:Xns93D1E2E7EE748JONxxx@
130.133.1.4:

"MrCheerful" wrote in
:

No, chucks are standard RH thread or they would unscrew when
putting screws in or when the drill jams.

MrCheerful

You're right. The first part is still valid:

...hit with a mallet or rubber hammer *in the correct direction*.

My mis-recollection was of some idiot (not me!) belting hell out
of a chuck key with a steel hammer, trying to unscrew the chuck
the wrong direction.

Ahaaa, it all comes back to me now: the idiot in question was
holding the drill handle with the chuck facing away from him and
trying to unscrew it by turning the chuck anti-clockwise *from his
point-of-view* - which is actually tightening it, of course.

Roger Mills

Roger Mills wrote:

Yes, but OP has got a *keyless* chuck!

He says the new one is - but is the old one? ;-)

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Good question! I had assumed that he was replacing like with like - but I
suppose that he *could* have been replacing a keyed chuck with a keyless
one. Perhaps he will tell us?

Roger

Efficient Electric water storage heaters Neal Unitt-Jones UK diy 9 July 24th 03 08:29 PM
SDS Drill Bit Life Rob UK diy 9 July 21st 03 07:47 PM
Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM
electric shower doesn't run cold - - advice please! Andrea UK diy 4 July 12th 03 07:59 AM
S2S drill bits or S2S to SDS converter Charlie UK diy 2 July 11th 03 01:45 AM