Neal Unitt-Jones

Default Efficient Electric water storage heaters

On holiday in France the farmhose we stayed in had a giant (2m high)
electric water heater in the cellar. It fed mains pressure hot water to the
house above. The owner said it was great and the bills weren't high. My old
gravity fed indirect effort which heats off a gas boiler could do with
replacing. I'm fortunate to have a cellar, one of these giant things would
be perfect. The only references I can find to electric water heating are the
good (ie bad) old immersion heater.

Can anybody point me to websites for something better?

Neal

Peter Parry

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:48:09 +0100, "Neal Unitt-Jones"
wrote:

The owner said it was great and the bills weren't high.

If you believe a Frenchman on matter plumbing you are stark raving
bonkers - they invented the Saniflo.

The only references I can find to electric water heating are the
good (ie bad) old immersion heater.

All electric water heaters are (at the point of delivery) 100%
efficient. All you can do after that is improve insulation etc to
hold that heat in but there is nothing more efficient than the bog
standard immersion heater.

As with all forms of peak rate electric heating it is still very
expensive - because electricity is expensive compared with other
fuels - but it is perfectly efficient.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
IMM

"Neal Unitt-Jones" wrote in message
On holiday in France the farmhose we stayed in had a giant (2m high)
electric water heater in the cellar. It fed mains pressure hot water to

the
house above. The owner said it was great and the bills weren't high. My

old
gravity fed indirect effort which heats off a gas boiler could do with
replacing. I'm fortunate to have a cellar, one of these giant things would
be perfect. The only references I can find to electric water heating are

the
good (ie bad) old immersion heater.

Can anybody point me to websites for something better?

Stick to gas as electricity is 3 to 3 times more expensive to run. Unvented
indirect cylinders heat by gas boilers are available here. better still fit
a heat bank.

---

IMM

news
wrote:

The owner said it was great and the bills weren't high.

If you believe a Frenchman on matter plumbing you are stark raving
bonkers - they invented the Saniflo.

The only references I can find to electric water heating are the
good (ie bad) old immersion heater.

All electric water heaters are (at the point of delivery) 100%
efficient.

Cable loss can make that 97%.

---

BigWallop

"Neal Unitt-Jones" wrote in message
On holiday in France the farmhose we stayed in had a giant (2m high)
electric water heater in the cellar. It fed mains pressure hot water to

the
house above. The owner said it was great and the bills weren't high. My

old
gravity fed indirect effort which heats off a gas boiler could do with
replacing. I'm fortunate to have a cellar, one of these giant things would
be perfect. The only references I can find to electric water heating are

the
good (ie bad) old immersion heater.

Can anybody point me to websites for something better?

Neal

Hi Neal,

If you already have the heating system installed, then why not extend the
pipework and fit one of these in the cellar:

http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/build/heatdocs/cda51.htm

Andrew Gabriel

wrote:

All electric water heaters are (at the point of delivery) 100%
efficient.

Cable loss can make that 97%.

Power station loss can make that less than 40%

--
Andrew Gabriel
IMM

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

wrote:

All electric water heaters are (at the point of delivery) 100%
efficient.

Cable loss can make that 97%.

From meter to element.

Power station loss can make that less than 40%

From generator to element. And if a coal burning station the most
polluting.

---

IMM

"BigWallop" wrote in message
news

[...]

A heat bank is safer and can be DIYed, heated by gas or electricity or both.

http://www.heatweb.com
http://www.range-cylinders.co.uk (go to thermal storage).

---

Peter Parry

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:30:08 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
news

All electric water heaters are (at the point of delivery) 100%
efficient.

Cable loss can make that 97%.

Please read before drivel.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Neal Unitt-Jones

Hi Neal,

If you already have the heating system installed, then why not extend

the
pipework and fit one of these in the cellar:

http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/build/heatdocs/cda51.htm

A heat bank is safer and can be DIYed, heated by gas or electricity or

both.

http://www.heatweb.com
http://www.range-cylinders.co.uk (go to thermal storage).

Yup, that looks like the puppy, thanks.