MrCheerful

Default how do I change electric drill chuck?

RichardS wrote:
"Niel A. Farrow" wrote in message
I've bought a new 3/8 keyless chuck for my B&D drill and even

before
I can find out that the new one is the wrong type and doesn't fit
I'm stuck, since I can't get the old one off the drill (old one
doesn't tighten very well and works loose).

I've removed the screw from the chuck, where one inserts the drill
bit, but the chuck is still very tight etc.

I've looked in my DIY books and skill books but no help ..

Thank you,
Neil

As others have said, it is screwed on with a reverse thread screw.

I normally put an allen key in the chuck, tighten up, grab hold, put
drill in reverse, lowest gear & squeeze trigger. If it was really
stuck, or a mains drill (prolly take my hand off!) I'd clamp the
allen key in a vice.

All depends whether your drill's got enough torque to free the

chuck.

cheers
Richard
email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

No, chucks have a conventional thread. The locking screw is left hand
thread.

MrCheerful