Rob

Default SDS Drill Bit Life

Any thoughts about the relative quality of SDS Drill Bits?

Living in a house built from 750mm solid stone walls and fitting a new
bathroom (an indoor one!) I've found myself needing to drill quite a lot
of holes. A 1000mm long 16mm bit from Screwfix lasts me about 3 holes
before going blunt. Actually not so much blunt, more that the tip has
just worn away. Cost per hole, about 6 quid! Are these 'cheap' drill
bits or will they all last like this. Just ordered a couple of Bosch
bits, to see if they're any better.

Also is there a correct way to drill? Should I be putting a lot of
weight behind the drill, or letting it do it's own thing. I think the
speed is constant on my GBH2-24 so I can't vary that even if I wanted
to.
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:02:43 +0100, Rob wrote:

Living in a house built from 750mm solid stone walls ...

Any idea what sort of stone? Granite is tougher than limestone or
sandstone...

Also is there a correct way to drill? Should I be putting a lot of
weight behind the drill, or letting it do it's own thing.

Shouldn't need to lean on an SDS just hold it in so it doesn't bounce
about and let it do it's own thing. You do have the "hammer" action
switched on don't you? An SDS drill with "hammer" on is more akin to a
rotating cold chisel than a normal drill.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Grunff

Rob wrote:

Living in a house built from 750mm solid stone walls and fitting a new
bathroom (an indoor one!) I've found myself needing to drill quite a lot
of holes. A 1000mm long 16mm bit from Screwfix lasts me about 3 holes
before going blunt. Actually not so much blunt, more that the tip has
just worn away. Cost per hole, about 6 quid! Are these 'cheap' drill
bits or will they all last like this. Just ordered a couple of Bosch
bits, to see if they're any better.

Wow! Our house has 600mm stone walls (granite), and my 600mm
25mm SDS bit is still going strong after at least a dozen holes.
It cost me around £25.

--
Grunff

Rob

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:02:43 +0100, Rob wrote:

Living in a house built from 750mm solid stone walls ...

Any idea what sort of stone? Granite is tougher than limestone or
sandstone...

Well it's not sandstone, but I wouldn't have thought granite. A regular
masonry bit in a hammer action drill barely marks it though.

Also is there a correct way to drill? Should I be putting a lot of
weight behind the drill, or letting it do it's own thing.

Shouldn't need to lean on an SDS just hold it in so it doesn't bounce
about and let it do it's own thing. You do have the "hammer" action
switched on don't you?

:-) Yep! That much I can manage.

An SDS drill with "hammer" on is more akin to a
rotating cold chisel than a normal drill.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Rob

Grunff wrote:

Rob wrote:

Living in a house built from 750mm solid stone walls and fitting a new
bathroom (an indoor one!) I've found myself needing to drill quite a lot
of holes. A 1000mm long 16mm bit from Screwfix lasts me about 3 holes
before going blunt. Actually not so much blunt, more that the tip has
just worn away. Cost per hole, about 6 quid! Are these 'cheap' drill
bits or will they all last like this. Just ordered a couple of Bosch
bits, to see if they're any better.

Wow! Our house has 600mm stone walls (granite), and my 600mm
25mm SDS bit is still going strong after at least a dozen holes.
It cost me around £25.

--
Grunff

Do you happen to recall where you got that? The longest 25mm SDS bits
I've seen are only 450mm long and more like £35 a go.

Grunff

Rob wrote:

Do you happen to recall where you got that? The longest 25mm SDS bits
I've seen are only 450mm long and more like £35 a go.

It was about 18 months ago, and from one of three local hardware
shops - but I can't tell you which one.

Screwfix do an SDS 1000x16mm for £20:

Or a 1000x22mm for £39:

Grunff

Alex

Rob" wrote in message
Any thoughts about the relative quality of SDS Drill Bits?

Living in a house built from 750mm solid stone walls and fitting a new
bathroom (an indoor one!) I've found myself needing to drill quite a lot
of holes. A 1000mm long 16mm bit from Screwfix lasts me about 3 holes
before going blunt. Actually not so much blunt, more that the tip has
just worn away. Cost per hole, about 6 quid! Are these 'cheap' drill
bits or will they all last like this. Just ordered a couple of Bosch
bits, to see if they're any better.

Also is there a correct way to drill? Should I be putting a lot of
weight behind the drill, or letting it do it's own thing. I think the
speed is constant on my GBH2-24 so I can't vary that even if I wanted
to.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but you do withdraw the bit regularly to
let it cool don't you? I find when drilling old concrete posts etc (70+ yrs)
that the bit will get red hot on the tip and melt if it's not withdrawn
often. It's almost like the concrete melts in there too, no idea what's
actually going on though!

The biggest drill I have is 16mm x 450mm but this has been used for perhaps
100 maybe 200 holes in concrete or similar? Yes the end is a little worn
down, but it still drills fine. And yes it's a Screwfix bit, on a 2kg
Makita.

Alex

---

David W.E. Roberts

"Rob" wrote in message
Any thoughts about the relative quality of SDS Drill Bits?

Living in a house built from 750mm solid stone walls and fitting a new
bathroom (an indoor one!) I've found myself needing to drill quite a lot
of holes. A 1000mm long 16mm bit from Screwfix lasts me about 3 holes
before going blunt. Actually not so much blunt, more that the tip has
just worn away. Cost per hole, about 6 quid! Are these 'cheap' drill
bits or will they all last like this. Just ordered a couple of Bosch
bits, to see if they're any better.

Also is there a correct way to drill? Should I be putting a lot of
weight behind the drill, or letting it do it's own thing. I think the
speed is constant on my GBH2-24 so I can't vary that even if I wanted
to.

Can't you resharpen the drill bits?
I think you would cover the cost of a bench grinder quite soon.
I hired a concrete breaker (SDS drill on testosterone) and was charged for
resharpening of the bits.
Bloke told me it wasn't just sharpening, the ends had to be re-hardened as
well.
Don't know if he was having me on, however.
I have a cheapo SDS drill from Homebase and I have sharpened the drill a
couple of times on my bench grinder, and this does seem to improve things.
Main problem will be the drill bit getting shorter and shorter.
These are the breaker bits, which bang in and out and don't rotate.

On the other hand, are you talking masonry drills (like hammer drill bits
but with a different shaft)?
Again you can sharpen the bit using a bench grinder or a drill bit sharpener
such as the Martek one (on my wish list).
If the hardened insert in the end is wearing away very quickly then you have
a cheap bit OR your walls are made out of finest quality gritstone and are
acting like a bench grinder :-)

Cheers
Dave R

Michael McNeil

"Alex" wrote in message ...

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but you do withdraw the bit regularly to
let it cool don't you? I find when drilling old concrete posts etc (70+ yrs)
that the bit will get red hot on the tip and melt if it's not withdrawn
often. It's almost like the concrete melts in there too, no idea what's
actually going on though!

I can remember a job I was on where that was happening. The foreman
was very angry with us, suspecting theft but even he was only getting
one or (occasionally) two holes drilled. We were drilling through
concrete just deep enough for brown plugs. It was a mystery that never
got solved.

I suspect there was steel in it and we were hitting that each time.

Another toolkit question Andrew McKay UK diy 32 July 15th 03 12:15 AM
S2S drill bits or S2S to SDS converter Charlie UK diy 2 July 11th 03 01:45 AM
Long drill bits chris French UK diy 0 July 5th 03 08:29 AM
sds hammer drill Andrew Gabriel UK diy 6 July 3rd 03 10:53 PM