BW

Default Help - Monitor making high pitched noise

Hello there,

I have Sony CPD E200 (2000 model) monitor. Since the last 2-3months it
has started making a shreiking noise when it starts up. Its a high
pitched noise, and while the noise is there there are very sligh
horizontal deflections on the screen which make the whole screen look
like having a hundreds of horizontal lines drawn on it. The noise
usually stopped after a couple of minutes. It looks like the noise
stopped when the component which seems to be resonating got hot enough.

Please note this is not the high pitched sound that CRTs are known to
make when we turn them ON. My monitor's noise is audible even in the
adjacent room!

I have the monitor at 1600x1400@60kHz resolution. I also noticed that if
I change the resolution to 1280x1024 the noise stopped.

But since the last week, the noise takes longer and longer to stop. And
yesterday, it went on for about a couple of hours. I reduced the
resolution and it stopped. But when I opened a browser window (blank
white window covered the monitor), the noise came back.

Can someone point me to what could be the possible reason for this
behaviour? Is the monitor actually going to die or is it just some coil
which starts resonating and may be easily fixed?

Regards,
/KS
nvic

Could be maybe the monitor is not designed for the high res your using?
If it is made for the high res, it sounds like something broke (or is
breaking) and you should take it for repairs or just replace it.

The Sony CPD E200 (2000 model) monitor is known for capacitor failures,
high esr. Get out your esr meter and start checking. As an alternate
method when the unit just starts working ok after a cold turn on, take
some freeze mist spray and start cooling down the electrolytic
capacitors until the symptoms or squeeling and horizontal wavy lines
return.

The best method is to ESR check all the electrolytic capacitors,
especially in the smps, HV, and deflection stages. I usually find
about 1/2 dozen that are bad or nearly bad in that and similar Sony
models.

Download it he
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/Sony_3.html
May or may not be complete, but is free.
You may also need to download some other software to decompress and
view it.

www.repairfaq.org has quite a bit of information on safety.

With a good flashlight, you might be able to visually see some
electrolytic capacitors starting to bulge out ever so slightly out the
top. That might be a place to start with the freeze spray.

BW

Download it he
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/Sony_3.html
May or may not be complete, but is free.
You may also need to download some other software to decompress and
view it.

www.repairfaq.org has quite a bit of information on safety.

With a good flashlight, you might be able to visually see some
electrolytic capacitors starting to bulge out ever so slightly out the
top. That might be a place to start with the freeze spray.

Thanks for the links, they will go a long way in troubleshooting the
monitor. And now that you brought up the capacitors, I do remember
noticing one capacitor with a minor bulge.

Thanks again,
/KS
Salmo

I bought an ESR meter kit from an Aussie company (Dick something??
electronics) and it worked like a charm (has digital readout too). The
company is out of business now but I believe the guy that invented and
designed the kit still makes them available.

First time I used it I went through a container of electrolytics and it
wasn't long before the bad ones were sorted. It can be used in-circuit too.
I'll see if I can dig out the info and send it to you.

Keeter P

NSM

"Salmo" wrote in message

I bought an ESR meter kit from an Aussie company (Dick something??
electronics) and it worked like a charm (has digital readout too). The
company is out of business now

No, sold out but still running.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront

Also see

http://www.dicksmithfoods.com.au/

but I believe the guy that invented and
designed the kit still makes them available.

You can get it from John's Jukes in Vancouver BC.

http://www.flippers.com/

http://www.flippers.com/esrktord-form.html

ESR Meter kit page MARK II -- test Electrolytic Capacitors or batteries in
circuit. Only $64.95 US Flyback/LOPT meter kit page (back in stock!)-- test
Flyback Transformers in circuit. Only $39.95 US

We ship worldwide!

BW

Download it he
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/Sony_3.html
May or may not be complete, but is free.
You may also need to download some other software to decompress and
view it.

www.repairfaq.org has quite a bit of information on safety.

With a good flashlight, you might be able to visually see some
electrolytic capacitors starting to bulge out ever so slightly out the
top. That might be a place to start with the freeze spray.

I noticed a couple of capacitors have a bulge on the top. So, I'm
planning on replacing them to see if it makes a difference. However, I
don't really know where to go an buy capacitors or electrical components
in general. Anyone knows a good place to buy them in Montreal
(preferably near downtown)? Any advice would be of great help.

Thanks,
/KS

BW

kip wrote:
Call these folks.....

http://www.raybel.com/

kip

"BW" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

[...]

www.raybel.com seemed to be a bit out of the way, so I went to
www.abra-electronics.com (another place is Active Electronics on Ferrier
and Boul. De-carie) Got the capacitor and a couple of other things I
needed. It took me more than hour of carefully dismantelling the
monitor, whose chasis and other things are designed beautifully. Full
point to Sony for that. The capacitor changing took about 2minutes and
then we built the monitor back again.

Now its working 99% OK with only a *little* high pitched sound. The
sound stops after a minute or so. I think it probably another capacitor
which hard to indentify visibly. But the monitor is behaving perfectly
otherwise. There are not visual defects like earlier with the old capacitor.

Thanks to all for all the help. I gained a lot of knowledge about the
CPD E200 monitor by doing this. This was my first time tinkering with a
monitor (had only played with TVs earlier). Now I will be able to play
UT on my GeForce FX 5700LE again

/KS