Eric the Red

Default CH boiler - making droning noise - Potterton Suprima 60

I have Potterton Suprima 60 boiler that when I turn the central heating on
makes an annoying droning noise that reverberates throughout the house. It
does not make this noise when the hot water is on only when I want the rads
to come on. The noise will last a few minutes then die away but when you
think all is OK it comes back again a bit later. The noise does seem to come
from the boiler rather than the pump. I am pretty sure the pump is working
as I can feel a slight vibration that increases when you up the setting for
the pump. Also the rads do heat up quite quickly.

It started to make this noise last winter so during the spring I flushed the
system.

The boiler is not that old. The previous owner of the house had it installed
by British Gas 2 1/2 years ago.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Eric.

Alex

Check the fan mounted on the top of boiler,although I would have thought it
it would make the noise in both modes,remove cover then fire up system.

When my fan was on ot its way out the noise was almost painfull to liosten

Colin Swan

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:28:13 +0100, "Eric the Red"
wrote:

I have Potterton Suprima 60 boiler that when I turn the central heating on
makes an annoying droning noise that reverberates throughout the house. It
does not make this noise when the hot water is on only when I want the rads
to come on. The noise will last a few minutes then die away but when you
think all is OK it comes back again a bit later. The noise does seem to come
from the boiler rather than the pump. I am pretty sure the pump is working
as I can feel a slight vibration that increases when you up the setting for
the pump. Also the rads do heat up quite quickly.

It started to make this noise last winter so during the spring I flushed the
system.

The boiler is not that old. The previous owner of the house had it installed
by British Gas 2 1/2 years ago.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I had that with my Suprima 50, but I never did really find out what
caused it. Seemed to get better if you bled all the radiators, and now
that it has been moved, hasn't happened again (although it currently
only works every 3rd day anyway).

Sorry, not much help really...

--
Colin Swan

Potterton Suprima Lockout Roly UK diy 4 July 18th 05 10:20 PM
Potterton Suprima 80 Michael UK diy 5 September 25th 03 10:17 PM
Potterton Suprima froggers UK diy 2 September 22nd 03 11:07 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Poxy Potterton boiler again... Colin Swan UK diy 8 July 8th 03 10:44 PM