Roly

Default Potterton Suprima Lockout

I've getting getting problems with a 4 year old Suprima going to lockout.
The red light flashes quickly and the circulating pump continues to run but
it won't fire up until the reset button is pushed.

My local boiler engineer has suggested that it's probably the pcb, but he's
not absolutely sure. He wants 250 pounds to supply and install a new one.

If there are any heating experts out there I'd appreciate their confirmation
that this is the most likely cause. I've had a look and it seems a simple
job to replace it myself and I've found a reconditioned unit from Control
Engineering for 50 pounds or so.

Thanks in advance.

Roly

Mike Tomlinson

In article , Roly
writes
I've getting getting problems with a 4 year old Suprima going to lockout.
The red light flashes quickly and the circulating pump continues to run but
it won't fire up until the reset button is pushed.

My local boiler engineer has suggested that it's probably the pcb, but he's
not absolutely sure. He wants 250 pounds to supply and install a new one.

When the circulating pump failed on the system here, it blew the fuse on
the Suprima's PCB. This is in a black twist-lock holder. I *think* it
also caused the boiler to go into "lockout" mode, but am not certain.

The manual also says:

"If the boiler fails to light after 3 attempts it will go into lockout
and the red LED will start to flash. Press the reset button, the LED
will stop flashing and the boiler will attempt to relight a further
three times."

"Overheat limit thermostat: the boiler is fitted with a safety
thermostat to protect against overheating of the water. is this
thermostat operates, the boiler will lockout and the red LED will start
to flash. Press the reset button , the LED will stop flashing and the
boiler will attempt to re-light. If the control does not reset, leave
the boiler for 15 minutes before pressing the reset button again. Note:
interruption of the electrical supply to the boiler may also cause the
overheat thermostat to operate."

Presumably a duff fan or overheat thermostat could also be the cause of
the lockout and these should be investigated before the PCB is
condemned.

--
A. Top posters.

froggers

Recently had a board from CET for my Suprima and so far so good
Original lasted 10 years so I think I was lucky -

CET were very helpful, prompt and I can thoroughly recommend them.
I may well be in contact again soon as I think the fan is now on its way
out.....

Nick

Junior Member

I had the overheat 'cut out' on my suprema boiler, this became more frequent over time until ultimatley it was in permanent lock out. I read this forum and contacted CET they advised my of the replacement PCB. It took me about 15 mins to take out 4 screws and about 6 conectors and put the replacement PCB back in and reconnect. It is so simple to do. Since replacing the board 4 weeks ago I have not had a problem at all!

My advise try changing the PCB for £50 from http://www.cetltd.com/default.asp its a lot cheaper than a new boiler!

Its definatley a manufacturing fault as all of my neighbours have the same problem (houses built around 4 years ago by Barrett).

Paul

Last edited by paulws : July 18th 05 at 10:23 PM

Potterton Puma 80 Combi glenn UK diy 12 September 14th 03 09:52 AM
Potterton netaheat Mk IIF 10-16 derek UK diy 10 August 17th 03 12:14 AM
Poxy Potterton boiler again... Colin Swan UK diy 8 July 8th 03 10:44 PM