Evan Mann

Default dryer making high pitches noise

My old and trusted Kenmore dryer makes a high pitches squel as the drum
turns. It was purchased to match the Kenmore HD 80 series washer I have, so
I'm guessing it's part of the same series.

I'm thinking it's a loose belt or something like this? It's been doing it
for a few months now, and it's not always consistant. Is my asumption
correct?

m Ransley

Open it up and see if the motor can be oiled some are sealed bearings,
some old ones are not. Ck all bearings for oil caps, ck belt , Oil any
bracket that may be the squeeker. Run with back off maybe you can
locate it.

Phisherman

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:19:33 GMT, "Evan Mann" wrote:

My old and trusted Kenmore dryer makes a high pitches squel as the drum
turns. It was purchased to match the Kenmore HD 80 series washer I have, so
I'm guessing it's part of the same series.

I'm thinking it's a loose belt or something like this? It's been doing it
for a few months now, and it's not always consistant. Is my asumption
correct?

Probably. My dryer has been squealing (at start up) for the past few
years now, and it has been service free for 16 years so I can't
complain!

tomcas

Evan Mann wrote:

My old and trusted Kenmore dryer makes a high pitches squel as the drum
turns. It was purchased to match the Kenmore HD 80 series washer I have, so
I'm guessing it's part of the same series.

I'm thinking it's a loose belt or something like this? It's been doing it
for a few months now, and it's not always consistant. Is my asumption
correct?

I'm betting it is the plastic bushing at the rear of the drum. Very
common to wear out after 5 to 15 years depending on usage.
donald girod

Probably not a loose belt. I would suspect the bearing in the idler pulley,
or the drum rollers. You could take it apart, remove the drum, and
lubricate or replace these parts. A belt, rollers, and idler is probably
available as a kit.

"Evan Mann" wrote in message
My old and trusted Kenmore dryer makes a high pitches squel as the drum
turns. It was purchased to match the Kenmore HD 80 series washer I have,

so
I'm guessing it's part of the same series.

I'm thinking it's a loose belt or something like this? It's been doing it
for a few months now, and it's not always consistant. Is my asumption
correct?

The Management

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:19:33 GMT, "Evan Mann" wrote:

My old and trusted Kenmore dryer makes a high pitches squel as the drum
turns. It was purchased to match the Kenmore HD 80 series washer I have, so
I'm guessing it's part of the same series.

I'm thinking it's a loose belt or something like this? It's been doing it
for a few months now, and it's not always consistant. Is my asumption
correct?

Well, not sure if it was the same, but my sister had the same
problem. It turns out, there was a small ball bearing on the back on
that damn machine. Went dry and caused the squeak.

So, if that be the case, a little lubericating oil and all is well.
Dave Harnish

Hi Evan,

This is nearly always caused by the idler pulley. Part # 691366,
it's not a tough part to replace, and not expensive - I get $12.50
for them.

But try some oil first. They often respond well when oiled with a
good grade of 30 wt or sewing machine oil. (Please, no WD-40!).
While the dryer front's off, it'd be a great time to drop a little oil on
the rear rollers too. Once the belt's off the idler, the drum pulls right
out and the rollers are easily accessible. Just a few drops of good
oil will add many more years of service.

Btw, I sell the needle oiler that's perfect for this job and many others.
I use one every day, and love it. You can see a picture of one at:
http://www.DavesRepair.com/SaleParts/needleoiler.htm

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

Have I been helpful to you? I'll BRIBE you for your
feedback! Please visit:
http://www.DavesRepair.com/testimonial_invit.htm

Exodus 20:11

"Evan Mann" wrote in message
My old and trusted Kenmore dryer makes a high pitches squel as the drum
turns. It was purchased to match the Kenmore HD 80 series washer I have,

so
I'm guessing it's part of the same series.

I'm thinking it's a loose belt or something like this? It's been doing it
for a few months now, and it's not always consistant. Is my asumption
correct?

jeff

"Evan Mann" wrote in message m...
My old and trusted Kenmore dryer makes a high pitches squel as the drum
turns. It was purchased to match the Kenmore HD 80 series washer I have, so
I'm guessing it's part of the same series.

I'm thinking it's a loose belt or something like this? It's been doing it
for a few months now, and it's not always consistant. Is my asumption
correct?

Hi,

Dryer belts don't normally make any noises....worn drum supports (
wheels, glides ) do and idler pulley ( keeps tension on the belt )
often can make noises when worn. Motor itself would be next on the
list.

http://www.applianceaid.com/whirlpoo...rs.html#noises
Some noise helps.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Bob Wennersrom

Dave Harnish wrote:

But try some oil first. They often respond well when oiled with a
good grade of 30 wt or sewing machine oil. (Please, no WD-40!).
While the dryer front's off, it'd be a great time to drop a little oil on
the rear rollers too. Once the belt's off the idler, the drum pulls right
out and the rollers are easily accessible. Just a few drops of good
oil will add many more years of service.

Btw, I sell the needle oiler that's perfect for this job and many others.
I use one every day, and love it. You can see a picture of one at:
http://www.DavesRepair.com/SaleParts/needleoiler.htm

Dave, you really put oil on drum rollers? I've taken apart machines that
have been oiled and the rollers or idler pulleys are often totally
siezed since the lint floating around in there mixes with the oil and
forms a nice thick gummy paste. Whirlpool recommends installing new
rollers dry, the centers of the rollers are softer than the shaft and
have a self lubricating (dry) compound manufactured into them. A
complete rebuild kit for 29" Whirlpool/Kenmore dryers only runs $35 or
so and comes with both rollers, idler pulley and belt. Sure oil will
shut the thing up for a while but for a lasting repair, don't you think
it would be better to replace the worn out part?

Bob
Blue Streak Appliance

xrongor

"Bob Wennersrom" wrote in message

Dave Harnish wrote:

[...]

imho, it depends on how easy it is to oil the stuff. if its as much work to
oil them as replace them, then replace them. if you can oil them 10 times
in the time it would take to replace, and oiling it lasts for 6 months...
well its something to consider anyway...

and in any case oiling them should identify the problem positively. if oil
makes the noise go away, you know whats wrong.

randy

Dan O.

Phisherman

My dryer has been squealing (at start up) for the
past few years now, and it has been service free
for 16 years so I can't complain!

If you look into and correct what's causing the noise now before it
possibly leads to more extensive damage, it may even last another 16
years!

JFYI. Our current dryer is a 1969 Inglis (Whirlpool) model and I
wouldn't trade it even-steven for any current model on the market.

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com