BW

Default Help - Monitor making high pitched noise

Hello there,

I have Sony CPD E200 (2000 model) monitor. Since the last 2-3months it
has started making a shreiking noise when it starts up. Its a high
pitched noise, and while the noise is there there are very sligh
horizontal deflections on the screen which make the whole screen look
like having a hundreds of horizontal lines drawn on it. The noise
usually stopped after a couple of minutes. It looks like the noise
stopped when the component which seems to be resonating got hot enough.

Please note this is not the high pitched sound that CRTs are known to
make when we turn them ON. My monitor's noise is audible even in the
adjacent room!

I have the monitor at 1600x1400@60kHz resolution. I also noticed that if
I change the resolution to 1280x1024 the noise stopped.

But since the last week, the noise takes longer and longer to stop. And
yesterday, it went on for about a couple of hours. I reduced the
resolution and it stopped. But when I opened a browser window (blank
white window covered the monitor), the noise came back.

Can someone point me to what could be the possible reason for this
behaviour? Is the monitor actually going to die or is it just some coil
which starts resonating and may be easily fixed?

Regards,
/KS