Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default The triumphalist attitude of many British workers

I had a hernia op yesterday. On arrival at the hospital I was asked a
number of pre-op questions by one of the nursing staff. I referred to
the leaflet which states that the hospital will be able to organise
return transport a day later (I had to stay in overnight due to GA).
But the nurse said "No way!" Not on a Saturday. Out of the question.
It was the triumphalist way she conveyed this that annoyed me. Anyway,
I said nothing.

After the op the staff nurse on the actual ward asked me how I was
getting home and again I referred to the note in the leaflet. However,
this nurse immediately agreed and said she would organise some
hospital transport for me. She couldn't have been more helpful or
willing, as were ALL the nurses on the actual ward.

About three hours ago I was brought home and am now recuperating.

Another example of this strange habit some British people have of
celebrating someone's misfortune: In a Wilkinson shop the other day I
asked whether they had any holdalls. "No, all gone!" she said with
glee, as if to say, "Now see where else you're going to get one from!"
Not a "Terribly sorry, but we're sold out of them right now, although
we should be getting fresh stock in soon."

What IS it with these people? Most people I deal with, even in Tesco,
are helpful, polite, forthcoming, but occasionally one meets up with a
complete tosser, who, sadly, often is a woman, even though women are
supposed to care more.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
[...]

Only because you just meet more women than men in a hospital and Tescos.

It's the other way around in the building trade.

Get well soon.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What IS it with these people?

It's the jubilation of the workshy that they won't actually have to do
anything.

Subsequent to their comment, it's your civic duty to make them run
around for something obscure and when you finally prod them all the
way through to grudging completion - to tell them you've changed your
main.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2011 15:19, MM wrote:
I had a hernia op yesterday. On arrival at the hospital I was asked a
number of pre-op questions by one of the nursing staff. I referred to
the leaflet which states that the hospital will be able to organise
return transport a day later (I had to stay in overnight due to GA).
But the nurse said "No way!" Not on a Saturday. Out of the question.
It was the triumphalist way she conveyed this that annoyed me. Anyway,
I said nothing.

After the op the staff nurse on the actual ward asked me how I was
getting home and again I referred to the note in the leaflet. However,
this nurse immediately agreed and said she would organise some
hospital transport for me. She couldn't have been more helpful or
willing, as were ALL the nurses on the actual ward.

I have had similar experiences - the last time I was in hospital I asked
for something to be done and was told that it was completely out of the
question in a tone which implied that I was stupid to even ask. A few
minutes later an older nurse came in and just did it without me having
to ask.

About three hours ago I was brought home and am now recuperating.

Another example of this strange habit some British people have of
celebrating someone's misfortune: In a Wilkinson shop the other day I
asked whether they had any holdalls. "No, all gone!" she said with
glee, as if to say, "Now see where else you're going to get one from!"
Not a "Terribly sorry, but we're sold out of them right now, although
we should be getting fresh stock in soon."

What IS it with these people? Most people I deal with, even in Tesco,
are helpful, polite, forthcoming, but occasionally one meets up with a
complete tosser,

Some people are complete ******* and even those that aren't will
sometimes be in a bad mood, possibly for very good reasons which you are
not aware of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , MM
writes

After the op the staff nurse on the actual ward asked me how I was
getting home and again I referred to the note in the leaflet. However,
this nurse immediately agreed and said she would organise some
hospital transport for me. She couldn't have been more helpful or
willing, as were ALL the nurses on the actual ward.

Dear dear granddad, wrong group again, or have the threats of garrotting
for your off topic rants frightened you away from your usual haunts.
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/17/2011 03:19 PM, MM wrote:

What IS it with these people? Most people I deal with, even in Tesco,
are helpful, polite, forthcoming, but occasionally one meets up with a
complete tosser, who, sadly, often is a woman, even though women are
supposed to care more.

MM

Our next door neighbour has just had a baby. Thought it was arriving at
3:00AM and got a taxi to the hospital - they haven't got a car. On
arrival the midwife ??? was asleep at the nurse's station and after a
quick check sent her home again, telling her to come in a 9:00AM
At 7:30 she's on the kitchen floor close to having the baby and they
have to call for an ambulance to return her to the hospital. How can
someone on a maternity ward not know a baby is imminently due ? I reckon
she just didn't want to be bothered with it on night duty.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/17/2011 04:28 PM, fred wrote:

Dear dear granddad, wrong group again, or have the threats of garrotting
for your off topic rants frightened you away from your usual haunts.

It's interesting though, how often the OT posts get most responses! ;-)

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 4:33*pm, Andy Cap wrote:
On 09/17/2011 04:28 PM, fred wrote:

Dear dear granddad, wrong group again, or have the threats of garrotting
for your off topic rants frightened you away from your usual haunts.

It's interesting though, how often the OT posts get most responses! *;-)

Andy C

DIY is mostly done of neccesity and can be a bit boring.
Still, we now have a captive poster/audience! ('til he gets well)

I used to workin the NHS. (Not medical)
In days of yore, nurses used to start off scrubbing the floor and
emptying bed pans.
Nowadays they arrive with a degree and no idea/inclination of how to
care for patients.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Gareth
scribeth thus

On 17/09/2011 15:19, MM wrote:
[...]

Yep when I was in hosp a could of years ago there was a lump of steel
stuck in my hand apart from all the other grief, none of them apart from
a much older lady nurse would touch it she managed to get it out fine
with a pair of tweezers but told e not to mention it to anyone there
that she did that..

Seems that it wasn't their job to do that sort of thing and the
management told them that and not to. Mind you getting a doctor to do it
wasn't on the cards their visits were shall we say not all that
often;!....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Gareth
scribeth thus

Yep when I was in hosp a could of years ago there was a lump of steel
stuck in my hand apart from all the other grief, none of them apart from
a much older lady nurse would touch it she managed to get it out fine
with a pair of tweezers but told e not to mention it to anyone there
that she did that..

Seems that it wasn't their job to do that sort of thing and the
management told them that and not to. Mind you getting a doctor to do it
wasn't on the cards their visits were shall we say not all that
often;!....

Thankfully, some people will always want to help others. Unfortunately
there will always be people with precariously held positions of authority
who's remit seems solely to be to tell them not to!

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2011 15:36, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure that it's just that.

I work in Engineering, which is almost exclusively male (although it is
changing), and over twenty-odd years have only met a few nasty,
difficult or stupid *******s. My wife on the other hand works in the NHS
and yes, there a more women than men - but the number of those women
that are vicious, bullying, uncaring bitches is staggering.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My ex-wife is a social worker. She tells me that http://www.clareinthecommunity.co.uk/
is actually an ongoing documentary.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 10:01*pm, Steve Walker -
family.me.uk wrote:
I work in Engineering, which is almost exclusively male (although it is
changing), and over twenty-odd years have only met a few nasty,
difficult or stupid *******s. My wife on the other hand works in the NHS
and yes, there a more women than men - but the number of those women
that are vicious, bullying, uncaring bitches is staggering.

Medical professionalism requires a distancing from the patient,
unfortunately it can also prove a hiding ground for those who have a
pathological lack of empathy, focused on pay & "whatever happens I
still get paid" (and more often than not upper middle class
bitches :-) Eugenics is also alive and well. The worst medical staff
are social climbers, the patient is incidental to their god complex
and if you sense your well being is under one of those "get a second
opinion".

Then there are those who are both competent & have empathy, tending to
choose medicine for the security as "bottom line"; nurses who are
tireless and doctors who walk the hospitals night & day double
checking.

Vetinary are, for the most part, superior to medicine in both ability
and have strong empathy. Not untrue to say a vet will spot disease
whilst medicine will spot social class first.

Engineers tend to be the most pragmatic. Investing & Banking attracts
very extreme types, whose complete psychological makeup is extreme
with the result that sound external risk management is necessary -
because they themselves can rarely exercise it sufficiently especially
in a herd environment. Politicians meanwhile seem cognitively
challenged by virtue of power being the first requirement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 07:56:41 -0700 (PDT), Dom Ostrowski
wrote:

What IS it with these people?

It's the jubilation of the workshy that they won't actually have to do
anything.

I don't necessarily regard them as workshy, ISTM for them it's a
matter of principal.

There seems to be an all pervading attitude by individuals in
institutions like the NHS that they will decide what services are
delivered to the patients and when. It is their refuge.

I have several serious health problems and have had a lot of dealings
with clinical depts inc A&E.

Having had a collapse 230 miles from home a consultant in A&E at the
outset made a point of saying I could look forward to a lot of
disruption and delay in getting back home and to work.

It turned out the entire delay was due to waiting for a couple of
tests for which there were waiting lists, despite the fact I was a
perfectly healthy patient tying up a bed. So 6 days wait for a
gastroscopy which was negative so I was then put on the waiting list
for a colonoscopy, another 6 days wait result also negative, (the
possibility of booking both investigations at the outset had not even
been considered). Most people can't work like that.

Then a 3 day wait for the doctor to sign off my discharge, eventually
to be discharged at 6-00pm on a Friday (after waiting 2 hours for my
medication) after 12 quite unnecessary nights as an in-patient. As a
final "Coupe de grace" they told me I must not drive until a diagnosis
had been achieved.

They referred me to a department closer to home for further
investigations with a radio pill TV camera ... 9 weeks later I had
heard nothing and phoned them up. They said "It's OK you've been
marked up as urgent". So I asked "What does that mean?" she said we
see you sooner than we would have done if you weren't urgent. I said
"Well how long would it take to see me if I were not urgent?" and the
secretary said 13 weeks.

After 11 weeks I got my appointment to be told they didn't do that
particular investigation there, but there was no reason why I could
not drive if I wanted.

The cost of my absence to my small company was about 18k in lost
business and locum charges.

Subsequent to their comment, it's your civic duty to make them run
around for something obscure and when you finally prod them all the
way through to grudging completion - to tell them you've changed your
main.

Derek G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
jgharston writes
My ex-wife is a social worker. She tells me that
http://www.clareinthecommunity.co.uk/
is actually an ongoing documentary.

I used to know someone who was a cebwrpg znatyre for social services and
he was of a similar view.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What IS it with these people?

It's the jubilation of the workshy that they won't actually have to do
anything.

I don't necessarily regard them as workshy, ISTM for them it's a matter
of principal.

There seems to be an all pervading attitude by individuals in
institutions like the NHS that they will decide what services are
delivered to the patients and when. It is their refuge.

I've always thought that applied to many workers in councils.

There are professional exceptions (e.g. BCOs) but the average worker
seems to be someone who wasn't good enough to get a job elsewhere. They
have a low paid and boring job, and make it bearable by using and abusing
any power they have.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 15:19:37 +0100, MM wrote:

What IS it with these people? Most people I deal with, even in Tesco,
are helpful, polite, forthcoming, but occasionally one meets up with a
complete tosser, who, sadly, often is a woman, even though women are
supposed to care more.

As in usenet, so in life. As we can see here, approx 5% are eejits and
the percentage in stores is the same.
One maxim to bear in mind:
The world will never be short of arseholes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 18:27:20 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

I have had similar experiences - the last time I was in hospital I asked
for something to be done and was told that it was completely out of the
question in a tone which implied that I was stupid to even ask. A few
minutes later an older nurse came in and just did it without me having
to ask.

Yep when I was in hosp a could of years ago there was a lump of steel
stuck in my hand apart from all the other grief, none of them apart from
a much older lady nurse would touch it she managed to get it out fine
with a pair of tweezers but told e not to mention it to anyone there
that she did that..

Project2000 is to blame for a lot of that attitude.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

family.me.uk wrote:
[...]

I belong in the 'engineer' category! I did a seven-year apprenticeship
as a motor fitter on leaving school at 15. Since then I have done
other jobs, but I can still turn my hand to most things mechanical.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 6:27*pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Gareth
scribeth thus

On 17/09/2011 15:19, MM wrote:
[...]

Tony Sayer- Hide quoted text -

You can blame the compensation culture for that sort of thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Only because you just meet more women than men in a hospital and
Tescos. It's the other way around in the building trade.

I'm not sure that it's just that.

I work in Engineering, which is almost exclusively male (although it
is changing), and over twenty-odd years have only met a few nasty,
difficult or stupid *******s.

So you never did a job for the council then?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I often think ts got more to do with how the organisation treats the worker.
Its very easy to see the customer as the enemy if the organisation does not
apparently value the employee if they try to help a customer.

I see it a lot with services for the disabled since the hang the scroungers
campaign bby this morally bancrupt Government. It affects the staff of
transport services as they get to feel they are just providing transport for
people who don't deserve it sometimes, though those on the front line tend
to know better.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"MM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 01:51:30 -0700, Owain wrote:

On Sep 17, 11:38Â*pm, Bob Eager wrote:
I've always thought that applied to many workers in councils. There are
professional exceptions (e.g. BCOs) but the average worker seems to be
someone who wasn't good enough to get a job elsewhere. They have a low
paid and boring job, and make it bearable by using and abusing any
power they have.

I am currently waiting for an explanation of why a missing fire
extinguisher in my local council offices has not been replaced.

I reported it 9+ weeks ago.

I'd expect it to be replaced within 24 hours.

I have established that the council had no risk assessment, no record of
inspection, and no written record of my report or any subsequent action
in respect of the missing extinguisher.

I am confident the managers in the council are not low paid.

I agree. They are just the managers who couldn't get a job elsewhere!

My elderly mother-in-law had endless problems with her council. They
wrote to her saying they hadn't managed to contact her (they'd been round
but she didn't hear them, they said). So they decided to come in and
basically destroy her entire garden because of an overhanging branch
(from one of *their* trees). They constantly ignore perfectly reasonable
requests and comments, I am sure because they think they can get away
with it. She is 90 years old.

Oh, the reason they couldn't get an answer is that she goes out every day
for several hours, to shop and socialise! The DWP (who decided to 'audit'
her this week) were disbelieving of the fact that she might actually be
out unless they booked it with her.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Steve Walker wrote:
Only because you just meet more women than men in a hospital and
Tescos. It's the other way around in the building trade.

I'm not sure that it's just that.

I work in Engineering, which is almost exclusively male (although it
is changing), and over twenty-odd years have only met a few nasty,
difficult or stupid *******s.

So you never did a job for the council then?

--
Adam
I know from experience that sometimes that attitude is caused by managers
or accountants. They have never done the job but are experts at cutting
stock or staff. They have just enough staff to cope when everything is
going OK. Then when it snows & everyone is complaining, the people
responsible are in their warm offices not on the front line taking the
abuse "also that stock has been disposed of because we have not used any in
nine months". Never mind it is only used in winter. Having told them, one
can't help looking triumphant when it all goes wrong.

Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's always the managers that are the ******s.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 18, 10:48*am, Bob Eager wrote:
I agree. They are just the managers who couldn't get a job elsewhere!

There are a lot of those, same in academia & the broad civil service.

My elderly mother-in-law had endless problems with her council. They
wrote to her saying they hadn't managed to contact her (they'd been round
but she didn't hear them, they said). So they decided to come in and
basically destroy her entire garden because of an overhanging branch
(from one of *their* trees). They constantly ignore perfectly reasonable
requests and comments, I am sure because they think they can get away
with it. She is 90 years old.

She should insist they re-instate as it was before, they will want to
use their own people as first choice. The UK has something of a "we
are the state and can do as we want" re unenforced accountability.
White collar crime & incompetence is "not a priority" but needs to be.

The next decade is going to see a big change in local gov't, money is
going to run out despite so called "deficit cuts" and inflation-
erosion.
We might yet see heads of councils justify their 250k/yr salary etc.

Make sure she has suitable footwear, ie, check yourself. Frankly
if the weather is bad home Tesco Asda etc delivery are fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 04:18:38 -0700, js.b1 wrote:

On Sep 18, 10:48Â*am, Bob Eager wrote:
I agree. They are just the managers who couldn't get a job elsewhere!

There are a lot of those, same in academia & the broad civil service.

Since I'm an academic, I have to be careful here! The academics are
(generally) fine; we chose to be paid less so that we can do what we want
to do...

But managers can be awful. There is one where I work (not my department)
who is an appalling bully with his staff, and has been for many years.
And I know of an FE principal who knows *nothing* about teaching, and
runs everything on 'tick box' lines - I have met her, and all I had heard
is sadly true.

My elderly mother-in-law had endless problems with her council. They
wrote to her saying they hadn't managed to contact her (they'd been
round but she didn't hear them, they said). So they decided to come in
and basically destroy her entire garden because of an overhanging
branch (from one of *their* trees). They constantly ignore perfectly
reasonable requests and comments, I am sure because they think they can
get away with it. She is 90 years old.

She should insist they re-instate as it was before, they will want to
use their own people as first choice. The UK has something of a "we are
the state and can do as we want" re unenforced accountability. White
collar crime & incompetence is "not a priority" but needs to be.

Wish we could persuade her. My wife does a lot of complaining on her
behalf, though!

Make sure she has suitable footwear, ie, check yourself. Frankly if the
weather is bad home Tesco Asda etc delivery are fine.

We have set that up but she won't use a computer (she can, but thinks it
affects her tinnitus). In emergency we can order. But she really likes
going out, and once moving is pretty fast!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seems that it wasn't their job to do that sort of thing and the
management told them that and not to. Mind you getting a doctor to do it
wasn't on the cards their visits were shall we say not all that
often;!....

--
Tony Sayer- Hide quoted text -

You can blame the compensation culture for that sort of thing.

Well I was in a hospital and they had done some fine needlework patching
up large lacerations elsewhere and pinning broken bones and skull all I
wanted was a rather nagging splinter removed they didn't notice as I was
in a coma when they were sorting the other stuff!..

I'd have DIY'ed it if I had the tools to hand;-!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 05:52:38 +0100, MM wrote:

I belong in the 'engineer' category! I did a seven-year apprenticeship
as a motor fitter on leaving school at 15

Feck, they were taking the ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 18, 12:54*pm, Bob Eager wrote:
Since I'm an academic, I have to be careful here! The academics are
(generally) fine

But managers can be awful.

Why is it so many academic managers are not appointed based on ability
at management? :-)
Sort of proves the promoted above level of incompetence but not moved
back down one?

We have set that up but she won't use a computer (she can, but thinks it
affects her tinnitus). In emergency we can order. But she really likes
going out, and once moving is pretty fast!

Perhaps a baseline order of essentials...

.... M&S do the best tinned ham, eves pudding are good.
.... Tesco do a really great Sicilian Lemon Mousse, Cappuccino
Desserts, Lemoncello Desserts, their UHT semi-skimmed milk is very
good and great as a backup surprisingly
.... Asda do ok Tiramasu, Weight Watchers Chocolate And Vanilla Mousse
.... Baxters Tomato Soup, Country Vegetable Vegetarian Soup are good
(watch onions)
.... Chicken & Cheese kiev from Asda and M&S are ok backups

I know M&S do not deliver, but can be good for those two long life
items. Avoids the "run out of milk or ham and must go out".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 18, 1:52*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:
On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 05:52:38 +0100, MM wrote:
I belong in the 'engineer' category! I did a seven-year apprenticeship
as a motor fitter on leaving school at 15

Feck, they were taking the ****.

Not necessarily... by the time you have removed the plastic cover...
intercooler... hoses... split the intercooler because it was made out
of 32swg... punctured yourself and covered everything in blood whilst
not feeling a thing ... removed the intake shroud... supercharger/
turbocharger plumbing... finally got to the dipstick... you have done
5 years already.

Then again there is changing the spark plugs on a Boxster... "Step 1 -
remove car from on top of engine"... "Step 2 - check you tightened the
spark plug correctly before replacing car"... uh-oh...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:20:40 -0700, js.b1 wrote:

On Sep 18, 12:54Â*pm, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Oh, she does all that. Pretty good at it; only when she was ill did we
have to resort to shopping for her.

She *likes* going out; the exercise is good for her, and she has lunch
out (mostly in the same place, meeting friends). And she can't carry a
lot due to arthritis in her hands, so she goes out pretty well every day
(except Saturdays, because all the buses are double deckers...)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2011 17:20, js.b1 wrote:
Why is it so many academic managers are not appointed based on ability
at management?:-)

It's the Peter Principle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

Basically if you do a good job you get promoted. This keeps happening
until you get into a job you are no good at, where you stick.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
On 18/09/2011 17:20, js.b1 wrote:
Why is it so many academic managers are not appointed based on ability
at management?:-)

It's the Peter Principle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

Basically if you do a good job you get promoted. This keeps happening
until you get into a job you are no good at, where you stick.

Andy

No, see exfoliation. if you are good at the job you don't even get it,
these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No, see exfoliation. if you are good at the job you don't even get it,
these days.

I've seen exfoliation. It's something trees do in autumn, or women when
no-one is looking. What's your definition?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
No, see exfoliation. if you are good at the job you don't even get it,
these days.

I've seen exfoliation. It's something trees do in autumn, or women when
no-one is looking. What's your definition?

Andy

Its in the peter principle. Its the way organsations shed people who are
too competent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2011-09-19, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
No, see exfoliation. if you are good at the job you don't even get it,
these days.

I've seen exfoliation. It's something trees do in autumn, or women when
no-one is looking. What's your definition?

Andy

Its in the peter principle. Its the way organsations shed people who are
too competent.

Voluntary redundancy schemes don't help; anyone with any "get up and go"
gets up and goes, leaving all the duffers behind.

The "get up and goers" are a threat to the others

--
geoff

Attitude chair HeyBub[_3_] Woodworking 6 August 14th 09 03:10 AM
Government Uses British Workers’ Tax Money to Teach Firms How to Employ Foreigners [email protected] UK diy 0 March 24th 09 07:02 PM
When the BNP says British Jobs for British Workers, they mean it! England, Home of the English UK diy 7 March 2nd 09 11:32 PM
DVD tray has an attitude Larry B Electronics Repair 5 May 24th 08 10:00 AM