Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The triumphalist attitude of many British workers

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 04:18:38 -0700, js.b1 wrote:

On Sep 18, 10:48Â*am, Bob Eager wrote:
I agree. They are just the managers who couldn't get a job elsewhere!

There are a lot of those, same in academia & the broad civil service.

Since I'm an academic, I have to be careful here! The academics are
(generally) fine; we chose to be paid less so that we can do what we want
to do...

But managers can be awful. There is one where I work (not my department)
who is an appalling bully with his staff, and has been for many years.
And I know of an FE principal who knows *nothing* about teaching, and
runs everything on 'tick box' lines - I have met her, and all I had heard
is sadly true.

My elderly mother-in-law had endless problems with her council. They
wrote to her saying they hadn't managed to contact her (they'd been
round but she didn't hear them, they said). So they decided to come in
and basically destroy her entire garden because of an overhanging
branch (from one of *their* trees). They constantly ignore perfectly
reasonable requests and comments, I am sure because they think they can
get away with it. She is 90 years old.

She should insist they re-instate as it was before, they will want to
use their own people as first choice. The UK has something of a "we are
the state and can do as we want" re unenforced accountability. White
collar crime & incompetence is "not a priority" but needs to be.

Wish we could persuade her. My wife does a lot of complaining on her
behalf, though!

Make sure she has suitable footwear, ie, check yourself. Frankly if the
weather is bad home Tesco Asda etc delivery are fine.

We have set that up but she won't use a computer (she can, but thinks it
affects her tinnitus). In emergency we can order. But she really likes
going out, and once moving is pretty fast!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org