Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default The triumphalist attitude of many British workers

On Sep 17, 6:27*pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Gareth
scribeth thus

On 17/09/2011 15:19, MM wrote:
I had a hernia op yesterday. On arrival at the hospital I was asked a
number of pre-op questions by one of the nursing staff. I referred to
the leaflet which states that the hospital will be able to organise
return transport a day later (I had to stay in overnight due to GA).
But the nurse said "No way!" Not on a Saturday. Out of the question.
It was the triumphalist way she conveyed this that annoyed me. Anyway,
I said nothing.

After the op the staff nurse on the actual ward asked me how I was
getting home and again I referred to the note in the leaflet. However,
this nurse immediately agreed and said she would organise some
hospital transport for me. She couldn't have been more helpful or
willing, as were ALL the nurses on the actual ward.

I have had similar experiences - the last time I was in hospital I asked
for something to be done and was told that it was completely out of the
question in a tone which implied that I was stupid to even ask. *A few
minutes later an older nurse came in and just did it without me having
to ask.

Yep when I was in hosp a could of years ago there was a lump of steel
stuck in my hand apart from all the other grief, none of them apart from
a much older lady nurse would touch it she managed to get it out fine
with a pair of tweezers but told e not to mention it to anyone there
that she did that..

Seems that it wasn't their job to do that sort of thing and the
management told them that and not to. Mind you getting a doctor to do it
wasn't on the cards their visits were shall we say not all that
often;!....

--
Tony Sayer- Hide quoted text -

You can blame the compensation culture for that sort of thing.