Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default The triumphalist attitude of many British workers

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 07:56:41 -0700 (PDT), Dom Ostrowski
wrote:

What IS it with these people?

It's the jubilation of the workshy that they won't actually have to do
anything.

I don't necessarily regard them as workshy, ISTM for them it's a
matter of principal.

There seems to be an all pervading attitude by individuals in
institutions like the NHS that they will decide what services are
delivered to the patients and when. It is their refuge.

I have several serious health problems and have had a lot of dealings
with clinical depts inc A&E.

Having had a collapse 230 miles from home a consultant in A&E at the
outset made a point of saying I could look forward to a lot of
disruption and delay in getting back home and to work.

It turned out the entire delay was due to waiting for a couple of
tests for which there were waiting lists, despite the fact I was a
perfectly healthy patient tying up a bed. So 6 days wait for a
gastroscopy which was negative so I was then put on the waiting list
for a colonoscopy, another 6 days wait result also negative, (the
possibility of booking both investigations at the outset had not even
been considered). Most people can't work like that.

Then a 3 day wait for the doctor to sign off my discharge, eventually
to be discharged at 6-00pm on a Friday (after waiting 2 hours for my
medication) after 12 quite unnecessary nights as an in-patient. As a
final "Coupe de grace" they told me I must not drive until a diagnosis
had been achieved.

They referred me to a department closer to home for further
investigations with a radio pill TV camera ... 9 weeks later I had
heard nothing and phoned them up. They said "It's OK you've been
marked up as urgent". So I asked "What does that mean?" she said we
see you sooner than we would have done if you weren't urgent. I said
"Well how long would it take to see me if I were not urgent?" and the
secretary said 13 weeks.

After 11 weeks I got my appointment to be told they didn't do that
particular investigation there, but there was no reason why I could
not drive if I wanted.

The cost of my absence to my small company was about 18k in lost
business and locum charges.

Subsequent to their comment, it's your civic duty to make them run
around for something obscure and when you finally prod them all the
way through to grudging completion - to tell them you've changed your
main.

Derek G