Posted to uk.d-i-y
js.b1 js.b1 is offline

Default The triumphalist attitude of many British workers

On Sep 18, 10:48*am, Bob Eager wrote:
I agree. They are just the managers who couldn't get a job elsewhere!

There are a lot of those, same in academia & the broad civil service.

My elderly mother-in-law had endless problems with her council. They
wrote to her saying they hadn't managed to contact her (they'd been round
but she didn't hear them, they said). So they decided to come in and
basically destroy her entire garden because of an overhanging branch
(from one of *their* trees). They constantly ignore perfectly reasonable
requests and comments, I am sure because they think they can get away
with it. She is 90 years old.

She should insist they re-instate as it was before, they will want to
use their own people as first choice. The UK has something of a "we
are the state and can do as we want" re unenforced accountability.
White collar crime & incompetence is "not a priority" but needs to be.

The next decade is going to see a big change in local gov't, money is
going to run out despite so called "deficit cuts" and inflation-
erosion.
We might yet see heads of councils justify their 250k/yr salary etc.

Make sure she has suitable footwear, ie, check yourself. Frankly
if the weather is bad home Tesco Asda etc delivery are fine.