Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - cheap printer scanner copier

Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any recommendations?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 30 May,
"Dave Baker" wrote:

Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any recommendations?

Definitely not! Inkjets are a PITA, heads clogging and small capacity
cartridges. Laser printers just work, and are a lot cheaper to run. Not sure
what is a good one ATM, my last one is 2005 vintage, but has cost next to
nothing to run, and always works, unlike its inkjet predecessors. Initial
cartridges can be reduced capacity, just like the inkjets, but hasn't been a
problem.

Current printers are HP1100A and magicolor 2350n. Will probaby see me out,
but an all in one (lasejet) would be nice.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 1:14*am, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 31/05/2011 00:07, wrote:

On 30 May,
* * * "Dave *wrote:

Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any recommendations?

Definitely not! Inkjets are a PITA, heads clogging and small capacity
cartridges. Laser printers just work, and are a lot cheaper to run. ...

One slight problem with lasers ATM is that Canon's main toner cartridge
manufacturing plant was in the path of the tsunami. Canon, of course,
also supply a lot of other brand names with their cartridges. Shortages
are already being reported in the USA and it is far from certain that
other manufacturers will be able to keep up with demand as people switch
to them.

Colin Bignell

I second the advice to avoid inkjets. They were a big move forward
from dot matrix in their time, but really should be obsolete due to
unreliability and the low cost of lasers. If you dont need fancy
graphics, even a basic laser printer has almost all the advantages.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I
have a scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and
not XP. A three in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so
any recommendations?

Others have said it on printers. On scanners, if you do not intend to
switch from XP soon then there are a lot of basic scanners going cheap
which are not compatible with Windows Vista/7. Eg I picked up a Canon
Lide 35* a couple of years ago for under £10 for SWMBO to use on her
travels.

*And I picked that one 'cos you can in fact use it with Vista/7 with the
Lide 60 drivers
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

On scanners, if you do not intend to
switch from XP soon then there are a lot of basic scanners going cheap
which are not compatible with Windows Vista/7.

Indeed HP seem to be using Win7 as something of a culling-point for
printers they consider to be "too old" and not releasing drivers for
them, when in fact the Vista drivers work just fine ... given how many
years and Windows versions they've supported HP LaserJet III and above
that's pretty shoddy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2011 07:43, Andy Burns wrote:
Robin wrote:

On scanners, if you do not intend to
switch from XP soon then there are a lot of basic scanners going cheap
which are not compatible with Windows Vista/7.

Indeed HP seem to be using Win7 as something of a culling-point for
printers they consider to be "too old" and not releasing drivers for
them, when in fact the Vista drivers work just fine ... given how many
years and Windows versions they've supported HP LaserJet III and above
that's pretty shoddy.

Before Vista, Windows printer drivers were implemented in 'kernal-mode'
and now for security and stability they have to be 'user-mode' framework
compliant.

So some drivers for some old printers got rewritten when Vista launched.
Yeah, these should be OK on Windows 7 if they live bug free.

Panasonic gave up supporting my KX-P7510 laser after Windows 2000,
though the drivers did work OK'ish on Windows XP and Server 2003 (with
some adjustment to allow the kernal mode use).

I'm now using Xerox's Global Print driver on that for XP and Windows 7.

-&-

My Umax 1200S scanner is the oldest bit of computer kit still in regular
use here. 13 years, still scanning...

Bought for WinNT 4.0 in April 1998 with its own crappy ISA SCSI adaptor
(replaced by an Adaptec 2940) and a very earth leaky SMPS (ditched), I
massaged it though Windows 2000, XP, and Windows 7. The last official
driver release for that was for XP, it wasn't too hard to get going on 7.

Which is good. I'd hate to see it go!

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2011 03:47, Tabby wrote:
On May 31, 1:14 am, "Nightjar\"cpb\"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 31/05/2011 00:07, wrote:

On 30 May,
"Dave wrote:

[...]

Nothing wrong with their reliability, providing you use them properly.
They don't like being left unusued for long periods of time. If you do,
it can be necessary to run a few head cleans to get them going again. In
the case of HP and some others, a new cartridge will give you a new
print head.

and the low cost of lasers. If you dont need fancy
graphics, even a basic laser printer has almost all the advantages.

Inkjets also have a wider range of colours - up to 10 - which gives much
better images. For now, they also have the advantage that their
consumables are not made on the Japanese coast.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

I have an Epson Photo RX420
It is just hitting the *needs service attention* barrier! ISTR someone
posting a workaround and I would be grateful for a link.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

beware that there were some "dodgy" versions floating around a while ago
when (I think) the main site was unavailable for a while - poke it
through an online AV check as well as your own!

Also make sure the ink reservoir isn't soaked to overflowing!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Robin wrote:

On scanners, if you do not intend to
switch from XP soon then there are a lot of basic scanners going cheap
which are not compatible with Windows Vista/7.

Indeed HP seem to be using Win7 as something of a culling-point for
printers they consider to be "too old" and not releasing drivers for
them, when in fact the Vista drivers work just fine ... given how many
years and Windows versions they've supported HP LaserJet III and above
that's pretty shoddy.

It's easy to work around that using a Linux box as a print sever. With CUPS
and ghostscript there is support for antique laser printers. You may then
use Samba to present the printer as a postscript printer to Windows
computers. Even windows 7 will print to a generic postscript printer.

A cheap atom based SFF PC will cost about £240, uses very little
electricity and can have several other uses such as wireless hub, web proxy
and file server.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A
three in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any
recommendations?
--

I use an Epson BX300F running on unbranded cartridges I buy from a stall on
our Friday market, at £4.00 each for black and £4.50 for colours. I print at

Mike
Just back from a dirty long weekend! Did anyone miss me?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 30 May,
"Dave Baker" wrote:

Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A
three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any recommendations?

Definitely not! Inkjets are a PITA, heads clogging and small capacity
cartridges.

hmmmm,
i have a lexmark all in one jobbie, wifi connected inkjet, cost me 50 quid
from morrisons a few years ago,

few minutes to set it upto the wifi network using the usb cable (can be
connected via usb if you dont want the wifi bit)
it does a print head excersise manouver every 4 or 5 days, and i've not
noticed it having any troubles printing cleanly when i need to use it, which
ranges from printing out 20 sheets a day, to one sheet a month,

the one i have is 3 colour and black, but you can get another 3 colour cart
that replaces the black one to give full 6 colour photo printing, and they
do standar and high capacity carts for it,
of course i dont use the genuine lexmark carts, as they are about 30 quid a
set, but some no name ones from tesco, the high capacity ones cost me about
17 quid a pair,

no stupid fake ink usage chips in the carts either (like epsons had, not
sure if they still do, but i got fed up of epsons clogging all the time and
having to buy a cart chip resetter to allow the full capacity of the ink to
be used, most carts i reset twice before it really ran out!!!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 30, 11:13*pm, "Dave Baker" wrote:
Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any recommendations?

I keep a Windows '98 machine just to keep a couple of old HP scanners
running. The additional depth of focus of an old scanner, compared to
a more modern ultra-high resolution(sic) model means that they're far
better at scanning from books, close in to the spine. Especially if
you lay the scanner on top of the book. Even better is to modify the
scanner to lose the lid and saw the side off the case as close as
possible to the scan window.

I'm no fan of combined machines. If you do a lot of fax or direct
copying, then perhaps, but even then I'd keep another printer for
"main use". For one thing, a cheap laser (HP 1300) has bargain
running costs compared to any inkjet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 10:47*am, Steve Firth wrote:

Indeed HP seem to be using Win7 as something of a culling-point for
printers they consider to be "too old" and not releasing drivers for
them, when in fact the Vista drivers work just fine ... given how many
years and Windows versions they've supported HP LaserJet III and above
that's pretty shoddy.

It's easy to work around that using a Linux box as a print sever.

Linux support from HP? You've got to be joking! Even when I worked
at Labs, using official HP RedHat (yes, not HP-UX), HP's driver
support was pitiful for anything that needed more than a basic port.

LJIIIs will work for ever, and on anything, simply because they don't
need much. If you can shove Postscript or PCL to them, they'll take
it. Although it might become harder to generate suitable PCL from
within some apps, Postscript will still be workable.

I'm actually finding Win7 to be less trouble than XP or Vista was. You
have to fiddle compatibility settings, but I've had several W2K
drivers for weird stuff that are now working happily again under Win7,
when XP & Vista just didn't want to know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Baker
scribeth thus
Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any recommendations?

We bought a Canon MG6150 a couple of months ago. OK machine sure does
what it claims except we've almost paid as much for cartridges as we did
for the machine.

They are very small tiny things and don't last the proverbial 5 minutes.
Furthermore our local refilling place can't do them as yet.

We're seriously thinking of off loading this bit of crap and getting a
Laserjet before long..

And I thought the HP K8600 we had was a pain what with it paper jamming
every other time we use it, but the main reason for that was it does do
A3 size.

So anyone recommend a Colour Laserjet that works well and doesn't cost
its purchase price to run in a few months?.

And we'll get a separate scanner instead of the combined unit..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 May 2011 23:13:51 +0100, "Dave Baker"
wrote:

Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any recommendations?

As others have said -- avoid Inkjets, especially cheap ones. They
clog up and the cartridges can cost more than a new printer.

If you've got room get a separate scanner & printer (laser)*.

* Unless you are printing lots of photos, in which case a good Inkjet
is preferrable.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 May 2011 09:00:42 +0100, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere wrote:

On 31/05/2011 03:47, Tabby wrote:
On May 31, 1:14 am, "Nightjar\"cpb\"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 31/05/2011 00:07, wrote:

On 30 May,
"Dave wrote:

[...]

Not always.

They don't like being left unusued for long periods of time. If you do,
it can be necessary to run a few head cleans to get them going again. In
the case of HP and some others, a new cartridge will give you a new
print head.

I have had equal problems with HP and Epson Inkjets that have not been
solved by any amount of head cleaning. I've also had to chuck out
almost new cartridges that don't work.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2011 11:28, Gazz wrote:

wrote in message
On 30 May,
"Dave Baker" wrote:

Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A
three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any
recommendations?

Definitely not! Inkjets are a PITA, heads clogging and small capacity
cartridges.

hmmmm,
i have a lexmark all in one jobbie, wifi connected inkjet, cost me 50
quid from morrisons a few years ago,

few minutes to set it upto the wifi network using the usb cable (can be
connected via usb if you dont want the wifi bit)
it does a print head excersise manouver every 4 or 5 days, and i've not
noticed it having any troubles printing cleanly when i need to use it,
which ranges from printing out 20 sheets a day, to one sheet a month,

One of the advantages of Lexmark printers is that the print head is in
the cartridge, so you get a new print head every time you replace the
cartridge.

the one i have is 3 colour and black, but you can get another 3 colour
cart that replaces the black one to give full 6 colour photo printing,
and they do standar and high capacity carts for it,
of course i dont use the genuine lexmark carts, as they are about 30
quid a set,

That is the disadvantage of putting the print head in the cartridge.

but some no name ones from tesco, the high capacity ones
cost me about 17 quid a pair,

Refilling yourself would be even cheaper and, if you buy the right kit,
not difficult or messy. However, they work best (i.e. more refills) if
you start out with a manufacturer's original cartridge, rather than the
recycled ones that you are probably buying from Tesco.

no stupid fake ink usage chips in the carts either (like epsons had, not
sure if they still do, but i got fed up of epsons clogging all the time
and having to buy a cart chip resetter to allow the full capacity of the
ink to be used, most carts i reset twice before it really ran out!!!)

These days, Epson cartidges, or the G&G compatibles I use, carry on
until they run out (the G&G have a clear side so you can see), although
you will get low ink warnings from the printer.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2011 12:22, Mark wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2011 09:00:42 +0100, "Nightjar\"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere wrote:

On 31/05/2011 03:47, Tabby wrote:
On May 31, 1:14 am, "Nightjar\"cpb\"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 31/05/2011 00:07, wrote:

On 30 May,
"Dave wrote:

[...]

I ran a printer supply company for about five years. It was very rare
that we could not sort out a customer's problems and that was usually
because the printer had died after a long life.

They don't like being left unusued for long periods of time. If you do,
it can be necessary to run a few head cleans to get them going again. In
the case of HP and some others, a new cartridge will give you a new
print head.

I have had equal problems with HP and Epson Inkjets that have not been
solved by any amount of head cleaning.

I've resurrected machines that have been idle for two years or more. Of
course, importing the cartridges myself, it cost me very little to run a
whole cartridge of ink through the head.

I've also had to chuck out
almost new cartridges that don't work.

Sometimes, recycled cartridges can do that. Despite extensive testing,
the fact remains that the cartridges have been used more times than
originally designed for and they will eventually fail. With luck, that
will be during the remanufacture process, but not always.

However, it should not happen with a manufacturer's original cartridge
or a good compatible.

I offered a 30 day no-quibble guarantee. It was very rarely invoked and
almost always involved a recycled cartridge (ink or toner), despite my
only buying from the best suppliers.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 May 2011 03:38:10 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On May 31, 10:47*am, Steve Firth wrote:

Indeed HP seem to be using Win7 as something of a culling-point for
printers they consider to be "too old" and not releasing drivers for
them, when in fact the Vista drivers work just fine ... given how many
years and Windows versions they've supported HP LaserJet III and above
that's pretty shoddy.

It's easy to work around that using a Linux box as a print sever.

Linux support from HP? You've got to be joking! Even when I worked
at Labs, using official HP RedHat (yes, not HP-UX), HP's driver
support was pitiful for anything that needed more than a basic port.

Linux is supported for my HP laser printer. For some reason they only
include Windows drivers on the supplied CDROM but you can download the
driver from the HP website. The driver works fine.

See http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF....A0-9484EEE.pdf
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On May 31, 10:47 am, Steve Firth wrote:

Indeed HP seem to be using Win7 as something of a culling-point for
printers they consider to be "too old" and not releasing drivers for
them, when in fact the Vista drivers work just fine ... given how many
years and Windows versions they've supported HP LaserJet III and above
that's pretty shoddy.

It's easy to work around that using a Linux box as a print sever.

Linux support from HP? You've got to be joking!

No, HP are close partners with Apple. Apple do a lot of work with CUPS, HP
printers are well supported by CUPS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 May 2011 12:30:15 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:
On May 31, 10:47 am, Steve Firth wrote:

Indeed HP seem to be using Win7 as something of a culling-point for
printers they consider to be "too old" and not releasing drivers for
them, when in fact the Vista drivers work just fine ... given how many
years and Windows versions they've supported HP LaserJet III and above
that's pretty shoddy.

It's easy to work around that using a Linux box as a print sever.

Linux support from HP? You've got to be joking!

No, HP are close partners with Apple. Apple do a lot of work with CUPS, HP
printers are well supported by CUPS.

"HPLIP supports 2,042 HP printer models so it's more than likely your HP
printer is supported. However you may want to first check the Supported
Printers page to verify that your HP printer is supported and/or that all
features for your printer are supported."
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html

HP Print, Scan and Fax Drivers for Linux
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...ces/index.html

--
openSUSE 11.4 KDE (64-bit)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 May 2011 12:10:16 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

So anyone recommend a Colour Laserjet that works well and doesn't cost
its purchase price to run in a few months?.

I got a cp2025dn (colour/duplex/network) a few weeks ago for just
under £300. A very solid machine but the replacement toner cartridges
will cost more than it did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 30, 11:13*pm, "Dave Baker" wrote:
Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any recommendations?
--
Dave Baker

I've got a wireless HP scanner/copier/printer.Has a multi format card
reader too for printing direct.
Despite other comments here , it's 4 years old now and reliable as
hell. I hadn't used it for a year post a move of house where it had
been kept (unceremoniously I have to add) in an old box in the garage.
Dug it out, plugged it in, connected to my 'new' home network wifi and
it printed perfectly first time. Ink is available cheap enough by
shopping round.
You should be able to pick one up for £50-£60. even in PCworld.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 12:10*pm, tony sayer wrote:
So anyone recommend a Colour Laserjet that works well and doesn't cost
its purchase price to run in a few months?.

I got this one in the New Year: http://www.printerland.co.uk/OKI-C510dn-P110372.aspx

Main reason was they were doing a cash back offer which brought the
price down a bit and it came with a decent amount to toner in the
cartridges so I wasn't forking out the same amount of money again
after a few hundred pages on new cartridges.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

I have an Epson Photo RX420
It is just hitting the *needs service attention* barrier! ISTR someone
posting a workaround and I would be grateful for a link.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

beware that there were some "dodgy" versions floating around a while ago
when (I think) the main site was unavailable for a while - poke it
through an online AV check as well as your own!

Also make sure the ink reservoir isn't soaked to overflowing!

Thanks Andy, also Brass Monkey.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes
On Tue, 31 May 2011 09:00:42 +0100, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere wrote:

On 31/05/2011 03:47, Tabby wrote:
On May 31, 1:14 am, "Nightjar\"cpb\"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 31/05/2011 00:07, wrote:

On 30 May,
"Dave wrote:

[...]

If you want an ink jet buy a Canon
--
hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Check out the Kodak range of printers. Good quality and very cheap
replacement cartridges. Argos sell them quite competitivley

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 13:42:27 -0700 (PDT), nafuk
wrote:

Check out the Kodak range of printers. Good quality and very cheap
replacement cartridges. Argos sell them quite competitivley

My 7200 gobbles black cartridges like there's no tomorrow. Admittedly
my daughter uses it for preparing lesson material for 30 kids but the
fact that black cartridges come in 2 sizes (Jumbo & Dinky) is a clue.

The Jumbo cartridges are 70% bigger but not significantly cheaper.

It seems the black cartridge needs to be at least 5X bigger.

Since the ink is pigment based I'm not exactly sure how I'd go about
re-filling a cartridge at home. :-(

Derek G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Thu, 02 Jun 2011
02:09:38 +0100

wrote:

Check out the Kodak range of printers. Good quality and very cheap
replacement cartridges. Argos sell them quite competitivley

My 7200 gobbles black cartridges like there's no tomorrow. Admittedly
my daughter uses it for preparing lesson material for 30 kids

Surely she should be using a laser printer for such heavy use? Much cheaper in
the long run. I doubt the Kodak was designed for it ...

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Check out the Kodak range of printers. Good quality and very cheap
replacement cartridges. Argos sell them quite competitivley

My 7200 gobbles black cartridges like there's no tomorrow. Admittedly
my daughter uses it for preparing lesson material for 30 kids but the
fact that black cartridges come in 2 sizes (Jumbo & Dinky) is a clue.

The Jumbo cartridges are 70% bigger but not significantly cheaper.

It seems the black cartridge needs to be at least 5X bigger.

Since the ink is pigment based I'm not exactly sure how I'd go about
re-filling a cartridge at home. :-(

Derek G

Buy some pigment based ink ?

Oh Kodak printer, they are not refillable as you can reset the cart,
should have bought a older used Canon MP610, Ip4500,
inkjet printers are a complete wast of money unless you are capable of a
little diy and dont mind refilling.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

I have an Epson Photo RX420
It is just hitting the *needs service attention* barrier! ISTR someone
posting a workaround and I would be grateful for a link.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

beware that there were some "dodgy" versions floating around a while ago
when (I think) the main site was unavailable for a while - poke it
through an online AV check as well as your own!

Also make sure the ink reservoir isn't soaked to overflowing!

Well the printer finally threw up an error display.

Unfortunately the above reset program does not appear to support the
RX420.

3 in 1 printers are cheap enough but I will be left with a small stack
of unusable ink cartridges:-(

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
On 31/05/2011 01:14, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 31/05/2011 00:07, wrote:
On 30 May,
"Dave wrote:

Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A
three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any
recommendations?

Definitely not! Inkjets are a PITA, heads clogging and small capacity
cartridges. Laser printers just work, and are a lot cheaper to run. ...

One slight problem with lasers ATM is that Canon's main toner cartridge
manufacturing plant was in the path of the tsunami. Canon, of course,
also supply a lot of other brand names with their cartridges. Shortages
are already being reported in the USA and it is far from certain that
other manufacturers will be able to keep up with demand as people switch
to them.

Colin Bignell

But if he's buying a new laser printer and assuming he's not printing
ridiculously large quantities, they'll have the factory (or an
alternative) up and running well before his toner runs out!

Yes.

Epson 3 in 1 for £79 or less must be tempting though. My RX 420 has
just gone to have the ink counter reset, but in 6 years use, the
cleaning function has always sorted the clogged heads. Mind, I have
stuck to Epson ink. Ink cartridges over the 6 years perhaps total £200
but this includes all our Christmas cards and lots of glossy photos.

One thing I spotted in Andy Burns offering is the facility to clean one
head only! That must save a huge amount of ink.

regards
--
Tim Lamb