Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default OT - cheap printer scanner copier

On 31/05/2011 11:28, Gazz wrote:

wrote in message
On 30 May,
"Dave Baker" wrote:

Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A
three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any
recommendations?

Definitely not! Inkjets are a PITA, heads clogging and small capacity
cartridges.

hmmmm,
i have a lexmark all in one jobbie, wifi connected inkjet, cost me 50
quid from morrisons a few years ago,

few minutes to set it upto the wifi network using the usb cable (can be
connected via usb if you dont want the wifi bit)
it does a print head excersise manouver every 4 or 5 days, and i've not
noticed it having any troubles printing cleanly when i need to use it,
which ranges from printing out 20 sheets a day, to one sheet a month,

One of the advantages of Lexmark printers is that the print head is in
the cartridge, so you get a new print head every time you replace the
cartridge.

the one i have is 3 colour and black, but you can get another 3 colour
cart that replaces the black one to give full 6 colour photo printing,
and they do standar and high capacity carts for it,
of course i dont use the genuine lexmark carts, as they are about 30
quid a set,

That is the disadvantage of putting the print head in the cartridge.

but some no name ones from tesco, the high capacity ones
cost me about 17 quid a pair,

Refilling yourself would be even cheaper and, if you buy the right kit,
not difficult or messy. However, they work best (i.e. more refills) if
you start out with a manufacturer's original cartridge, rather than the
recycled ones that you are probably buying from Tesco.

no stupid fake ink usage chips in the carts either (like epsons had, not
sure if they still do, but i got fed up of epsons clogging all the time
and having to buy a cart chip resetter to allow the full capacity of the
ink to be used, most carts i reset twice before it really ran out!!!)

These days, Epson cartidges, or the G&G compatibles I use, carry on
until they run out (the G&G have a clear side so you can see), although
you will get low ink warnings from the printer.

Colin Bignell