Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

I have the HP 3200m B&W laser printer/copier which is not a flatbed but a
"regular" printer/copier that accepts paper sheets fed into it.

Do I need special software to copy to a PDF on the computer?

I lost the original HP driver disk long ago but can download the drivers if
that's what I need to copy-to-pdf.

Or is there "special" WinXP PC software that allows a printer copy to be
converted to a PDF?
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:36:57 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

I don't think HP printers can scan directly to PDF.

This is the description of your printer.
http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/gadg...anual-pdf.html

And this is the product manual for your printer.
http://dmg.ap.buffalo.edu/faculty/phones/3200manual.pdf

Nowhere does it say that HP printer can scan to a PDF!
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:12:19 -0800, LM wrote:

And this is the product manual for your printer.
http://dmg.ap.buffalo.edu/faculty/phones/3200manual.pdf
Nowhere does it say that HP printer can scan to a PDF!

Maybe there is WinXP freeware to scan to PDF for an HP3200m B&W printer?
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:27:54 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:
Maybe there is WinXP freeware to scan to PDF for an HP3200m B&W printer?

Maybe ScanToPdf will work for you.
http://www.scantopdf.co.uk/
http://download.cnet.com/Softi-Scan-...-10795678.html

Another way might be A-PDF.
http://www.a-pdf.com/faq/hp-scan-pdf...e-download.htm

Or the HP director.
http://www.computeroffice.law.cam.ac...can_to_pdf.php

Not all are free though but freeware probably won't work for anything
useful anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:36:33 -0800, Melissa Andrade wrote:

freeware probably won't work for anything useful anyway.

I guess you get what you pay for but I did locate these listed as 'free
downloads' that I can try.

1] Scan2Pdf http://www.snapfiles.com/get/scan2pdf.html
2] iCopy/CutePDF http://www.digitalpurview.com/free-s...-pdf-solution/
3] STP http://www.freewarefiles.com/Scan-To...ram_53296.html

I think OCR might be a problem though with these images scanners.

It might be nice to see what others use to scan to PDF from an old HP 3200m
black and white laser printer.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

On 02/12/2010 10:36 PM, Melissa Andrade wrote:
Not all are free though but freeware probably won't work for anything
useful anyway.

Wow. That was a funny thing to say, considering where you cross-posted.

Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
as a pdf. There are a lot of good, free ones around but I'm most
familiar with pdf creator at http://www.pdfforge.org/. It's free and
open source so you can use it legally for private and commercial purposes.

After installation, pdf creator will look like any other printer on your
system. Just open the file that you saved and select "print." The
print dialog pops up and you'll see "pdf creator" as one printer option.
Choose that and away you go.

One caveat. During install, PDF Creator give you the option of opting
out from installing a "browser toolbar." I recommend you do that.
Unclick it and the toolbar will not install.

hth,
--
-Craig
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:

Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
as a pdf.

I'm not trying to print to PDF.

I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.

I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none could
find the printer as a scanner.

Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and did
not see the printer.

Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected to the
WinXP PC by the serial port.

I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize the
HP 3200m printer as a scanner?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On Feb 13, 7:25*pm, Brent beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:
Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
as a pdf. *

I'm not trying to print to PDF.

I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.

I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none could
find the printer as a scanner.

Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and did
not see the printer.

Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected to the
WinXP PC by the serial port.

I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize the
HP 3200m printer as a scanner?

The print to PDF is a way to print a file to a PDF file .. it's
strange terminology but it gets past some legal issues I believe.

If you have Open Office it lets you save to PDF, place the image into
a page and click the button "Save Copy To PDF"
I do this often for my resume and it works well.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware
Ron Ron is offline

On 2/13/2010 12:25 AM, Brent wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:

Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
as a pdf.

I'm not trying to print to PDF.

I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.

I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none could
find the printer as a scanner.

Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and did
not see the printer.

Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected to the
WinXP PC by the serial port.

I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize the
HP 3200m printer as a scanner?

It may sound obvious, but have you tried re-installing the scan drivers
from HP? They *are* different from the printer drivers, yes?

hth

Ron Moore
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

I have the HP 3200m B&W laser printer/copier which is not a flatbed but a
"regular" printer/copier that accepts paper sheets fed into it.

Do I need special software to copy to a PDF on the computer?

I lost the original HP driver disk long ago but can download the drivers if
that's what I need to copy-to-pdf.

Or is there "special" WinXP PC software that allows a printer copy to be
converted to a PDF?

You need a program that will create a .pdf file from the scanned image. Adobe
Acrobat is the most widely known, but it'll cost ya. You can get a freeware
program called PDF Creator from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfc...p.exe/download

You scan your document and select "Print to PDF" (or something to that effect),
and name the created file and save it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

wrote:

On 02/12/2010 10:36 PM, Melissa Andrade wrote:
Not all are free though but freeware probably won't work for anything
useful anyway.

Wow. That was a funny thing to say, considering where you cross-posted.

Really! I'm reading on alt.home.repair [and wondering how the OP
thought it was on topic] and almost replied that I've had better luck
with freeware than a whole bunch of paid programs over the years.

When I saw that it was crossposted I killed my reply without looking
to see where it was cross-posted to.

Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
as a pdf. There are a lot of good, free ones around but I'm most
familiar with pdf creator at http://www.pdfforge.org/. It's free and
open source so you can use it legally for private and commercial purposes.

Add 'open source' to the software & I challenge anyone to come up with
a scenario where there is a better commercial option.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

From: "Brent"

| On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:

Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
as a pdf.

| I'm not trying to print to PDF.

| I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.

| I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none could
| find the printer as a scanner.

| Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and did
| not see the printer.

| Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected to the
| WinXP PC by the serial port.

| I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize the
| HP 3200m printer as a scanner?

You are mising the boat !

IFF the HP all-in-one is able to scan then you *MUST* have TWAIN Drivers for said device.

ANY TWAIN compliant program will then be able to use the HP All-in-One and be able to use
ANY of the PDF software suggested.

My suggestion:
Use XnView as a free graphics program that has a scanner interface and is TWAIN capable.

Use PDFCreator on SourceForge to to take any scanned objects in XnView and create a PDF.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

From: "Jim Elbrecht"

| On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig
| wrote:

On 02/12/2010 10:36 PM, Melissa Andrade wrote:
Not all are free though but freeware probably won't work for anything
useful anyway.

Wow. That was a funny thing to say, considering where you cross-posted.

| Really! I'm reading on alt.home.repair [and wondering how the OP
| thought it was on topic] and almost replied that I've had better luck
| with freeware than a whole bunch of paid programs over the years.

| When I saw that it was crossposted I killed my reply without looking
| to see where it was cross-posted to.

Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
as a pdf. There are a lot of good, free ones around but I'm most
familiar with pdf creator at http://www.pdfforge.org/. It's free and
open source so you can use it legally for private and commercial purposes.

| Add 'open source' to the software & I challenge anyone to come up with
| a scenario where there is a better commercial option.

| Jim

Adobe Acrobat Professional.
There.... A "better commercial option." :-)

For this scenario a TWAIN capable program that will scan and create a PDF.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brent" wrote in message
How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

I have the HP 3200m B&W laser printer/copier which is not a flatbed but a
"regular" printer/copier that accepts paper sheets fed into it.

Do I need special software to copy to a PDF on the computer?

I lost the original HP driver disk long ago but can download the drivers
if
that's what I need to copy-to-pdf.

Or is there "special" WinXP PC software that allows a printer copy to be
converted to a PDF?

My inexpensive USB Cannon scanner came with PDF software that I have even
used so your HP might well have also.

You label yours as a printer copier. Does it offer the option to save the
scan somewhere on your computer?

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:36:33 -0800, Melissa Andrade wrote:

Not all are free though but freeware probably won't work for anything
useful anyway.

Complaint sent to above. Abuse of newsgroup. I hope they yank your
Internet access, *you spamming asshole!!!*
--
R.I.P to Dead Tull Morons
http://tr.im/1f74

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

Then **** off.
--
ö Steve

Due to the volume of garbage I filter out googlegroups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent wrote:
How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

I have the HP 3200m B&W laser printer/copier which is not a flatbed but a
"regular" printer/copier that accepts paper sheets fed into it.

Do I need special software to copy to a PDF on the computer?

I lost the original HP driver disk long ago but can download the drivers if
that's what I need to copy-to-pdf.

Or is there "special" WinXP PC software that allows a printer copy to be
converted to a PDF?

I know what your printer looks like but have never fooled around with
one of them. I have a Lexmark printer/scanner and the software for it
allows me to save anything scanned as a PDF. The software for your HP
printer may have a similar function built in to the HP software. With
my printer, I scan a document then click "save as" from the file dialog
box and choose PDF. I have to upload a lot of work orders and invoices
via The 'net and most folks want a PDF document. You may have already
looked at the driver software for your printer but I would guess that
the full software suite from HP will give you more functionality. The
HP page I found is he

http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

Address.invalid wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:
Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
as a pdf.

I'm not trying to print to PDF.

I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.

I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none could
find the printer as a scanner.

Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and did
not see the printer.

Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected to the
WinXP PC by the serial port.

I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize the
HP 3200m printer as a scanner?

The print to PDF is a way to print a file to a PDF file .. it's
strange terminology...

Thx Zaphod... Much better than the way I put it.

--
-Craig
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 07:59:11 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

For this scenario a TWAIN capable program that will scan and create a PDF.

David,
I don't understand the TWAIN part. I tried all the suggested programs but
none could find the printer.

Which side do I need the TWAIN software?

On the PC side where I run the application to talk to the printer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:26:54 -0500, Colbyt wrote:

You label yours as a printer copier. Does it offer the option to save the
scan somewhere on your computer?

It has a "scan" button (along with "print", "copy", and "fax" buttons).

The print button works.
The copy button works.
The fax button works.
But I never used the scan button and that one button does not work. It just
says "waiting for PC" in the display when I hit the scan button.

On the PC side, whenever I use the suggested programs, they ask for the
"source" but the source box is empty.

What am I missing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2010 11:44 AM, Brent wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:26:54 -0500, Colbyt wrote:

You label yours as a printer copier. Does it offer the option to save the
scan somewhere on your computer?

It has a "scan" button (along with "print", "copy", and "fax" buttons).

The print button works.
The copy button works.
The fax button works.
But I never used the scan button and that one button does not work. It just
says "waiting for PC" in the display when I hit the scan button.

On the PC side, whenever I use the suggested programs, they ask for the
"source" but the source box is empty.

What am I missing?

Brent, what you are missing is the concept that there is no real difference
between scanning an image and saving the scan as a .pdf file and scanning the
image, saving it as a .jpg or .png, or .tif file, and then "printing" that file
(converting it) to a .pdf file. The .jpg (etc.) file merely functions as an
intermediate step in the process for you. I've been using sourceforge's open
source PDF Creator for years and it works like a charm.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

Brent wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 07:59:11 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

For this scenario a TWAIN capable program that will scan and create
a PDF.

David,
I don't understand the TWAIN part. I tried all the suggested programs
but none could find the printer.

Which side do I need the TWAIN software?

On the PC side where I run the application to talk to the printer?

You need to install the HP drivers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:26:54 -0500, Colbyt wrote:

You label yours as a printer copier. Does it offer the option to
save the scan somewhere on your computer?

It has a "scan" button (along with "print", "copy", and "fax"
buttons).

The print button works.
The copy button works.
The fax button works.
But I never used the scan button and that one button does not work.
It just says "waiting for PC" in the display when I hit the scan
button.

On the PC side, whenever I use the suggested programs, they ask for
the "source" but the source box is empty.

What am I missing?

The HP drivers/software.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:31:11 -0800, Bob F wrote:

What am I missing?

The HP drivers/software.

OK. I didn't realize (mea culpa) that the HP drivers were the missing link.

I figured whatever driver was running the fax/printer/copier was good
enough for the scanner part of the printer.

I guess not

I'll see if I can somehow dig up the drivers (where is that long lost cd)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 18:31:40 +0000 (UTC), Brent
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:31:11 -0800, Bob F wrote:

What am I missing?

The HP drivers/software.

OK. I didn't realize (mea culpa) that the HP drivers were the missing link.

I figured whatever driver was running the fax/printer/copier was good
enough for the scanner part of the printer.

I guess not

I'll see if I can somehow dig up the drivers (where is that long lost cd)?

HP drivers suck, but at least they have all of them online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Feb 2010 16:46:44 GMT, RobertPatrick wrote:

Open up Adobe Acrobat.
File - then you'll see Scanner and just follow what it says.

I have Acrobat Pro but not on the computer that has the HP 3200m printer
connected to the serial port.

The computer that is connected to the printer has Foxit Reader (freeware)
only.

And Foxit won't recognize the scanner. I'm still looking for the HP
software. I was hoping to find it on the web but the links at the HP site
require some kind of activex which firefox doesn't do it seems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

I have the HP 3200m B&W laser printer/copier which is not a flatbed but a
"regular" printer/copier that accepts paper sheets fed into it.

Do I need special software to copy to a PDF on the computer?

I lost the original HP driver disk long ago but can download the drivers if
that's what I need to copy-to-pdf.

Or is there "special" WinXP PC software that allows a printer copy to be
converted to a PDF?

Adobe Distiller might do what you want. I tossed out my printer over
10 years ago and now print to PDF files instead. I emptied a file
cabinet and scanned the papers I might need, and now the file cabinet
is gone too.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

Brent wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:

Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save
anything as a pdf.

I'm not trying to print to PDF.

I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.

I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none
could find the printer as a scanner.

Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and
did not see the printer.

Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected
to the WinXP PC by the serial port.

I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize
the HP 3200m printer as a scanner?

Well, there's your problem. The 3200 doesn't connect via serial port.

I'm at a loss to understand how you managed it.

Unless you cut off the grounding plug or something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 2:58*pm, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
Brent wrote:
How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

I have the HP 3200m B&W laser printer/copier which is not a flatbed but a
"regular" printer/copier that accepts paper sheets fed into it.

Do I need special software to copy to a PDF on the computer?

I lost the original HP driver disk long ago but can download the drivers if
that's what I need to copy-to-pdf.

Or is there "special" WinXP PC software that allows a printer copy to be
converted to a PDF?

Take a look he *http://www.dopdf.com/

Are you trying to scan/convert a text document to text and then
convert to pdf, or do you want to go directly from whatever is scanned
to pdf???

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

HeyBub wrote:
Brent wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:

Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save
anything as a pdf.

I'm not trying to print to PDF.

I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.

I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none
could find the printer as a scanner.

Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and
did not see the printer.

Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected
to the WinXP PC by the serial port.

I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize
the HP 3200m printer as a scanner?

Well, there's your problem. The 3200 doesn't connect via serial port.

I'm at a loss to understand how you managed it.

Unless you cut off the grounding plug or something.

Perhaps he was refering to USB, Universal Serial Buss?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent wrote:
How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

I have the HP 3200m B&W laser printer/copier which is not a flatbed but a
"regular" printer/copier that accepts paper sheets fed into it.

Do I need special software to copy to a PDF on the computer?

I lost the original HP driver disk long ago but can download the drivers if
that's what I need to copy-to-pdf.

Or is there "special" WinXP PC software that allows a printer copy to be
converted to a PDF?

It is pretty easy to find drivers on HP website - need model name and
number. Did your printer EVER have the capability to save documents in
PDF format? I have a Cannon scanner and the driver allows saving but
not editing in PDF format.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

Will this work for you?

Load Scanner

File
Programs
HP
HP Solution Center
Select Scanner
Scan Document
Scan to: Save to file
Scan
Accept
No

Name file and from
Save as type: PDF

Don
Vancouver, USA

"Brent" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:

Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
as a pdf.

I'm not trying to print to PDF.

I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.

I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none
could
find the printer as a scanner.

Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and did
not see the printer.

Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected to the
WinXP PC by the serial port.

I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize the
HP 3200m printer as a scanner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:07:13 +0000 (UTC), Brent
wrote:

On 13 Feb 2010 16:46:44 GMT, RobertPatrick wrote:

Open up Adobe Acrobat.
File - then you'll see Scanner and just follow what it says.

I have Acrobat Pro but not on the computer that has the HP 3200m printer
connected to the serial port.

The computer that is connected to the printer has Foxit Reader (freeware)
only.

And Foxit won't recognize the scanner. I'm still looking for the HP
software. I was hoping to find it on the web but the links at the HP site
require some kind of activex which firefox doesn't do it seems.

Are you sure Foxit is supposed to work with scanners? I don't see such
an option either in Foxit menus or their website. Where did you find
it?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

The Daring Dufas wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Brent wrote:
[...]

I think he was refering to Frosted Flakes.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

From: "Brent"

| On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 07:59:11 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

For this scenario a TWAIN capable program that will scan and create a PDF.

| David,
| I don't understand the TWAIN part. I tried all the suggested programs but
| none could find the printer.

| Which side do I need the TWAIN software?

| On the PC side where I run the application to talk to the printer?

Brent:

All scanners have two seperate but merging softwares that allow them to be used by a
computer.

1. Hardware drivers.

2. TWAIN GUI middleware.

Once a given scanner has its hardware drivers installed, the Operating System knows how to
communucate with the hardware.

Once the TWAIN GUI middleware is installed any program that is TWAIN complaint will be
able to use the scanner.

For example I have a Canon colour flatbed and a HP 100 laser scanner attachment.

Now the Cannon has both #1 and #2 in two separate installers and connects via USB v2.0.
It shows up in Device Manager under "Imaging Devices" (WinXP).

The HP Lasetjet 1100 has an attachment that plugs in the front of the laser printer. The
Laserprinter connects to PC via parallel port. However in my case, it is connected to an
external HP JetDirect print server. Here #1 and #2 is included into one installer for its
own application, "Laserjet Document Assiastant" and it runs in the background and you tell
it if the Printer+Scanner is connected via parallel port or over then LAN.

Take a program like XnView. It is a TWAIN compliant graphics application. Thus *any*
TWAIN complaint scanner who had their software installed correctly (Part #1 and #2) then
one can choose which is the default scanner. (Note the OS can only define one device as
"default scanner" at a time and thus once set, that chosen scann will the dafault for ALL
TWAIN compliant software under that OS).

One the default scanner is chosen you can actually initiate a scan and hold the object in
memory. Now its dependent upon what TWAIN compliant application does as its objective.
If it is XnView its is considered a graphic and thus you can now save it in any of the
standard formats like; .JPG, .PNG, .TIFF, .DCX., .PVX, etc.... Add PDFCreator from
SourceForge into the picture and you can now create a PDF from the scanned object.

Lets use another scnerio:
Lets us say you have Open Office (OO). OO is TWAIN comliant and can natively create PDFs.
Thus many of the modules will be able to scan into its respective Office application such
as its Word Processor and from there perform the scan and subsequently create a PDF.

No matter what application that one uses when you have chosen the deafult scanner, you
will use that particular scanner's TWAIN GUI interface. It will allow you resize, scan
portion, allow colour/B&W/Grey Scale and indicate at what Dot Per Inch (DPI) level.

So to sum it all up, the TWAIN is a standard for any TWAIN compliant application to use
and TWAIN compliant scanner. The TWAIN GUI is the middlware provided by the scanner
manufacturer and provides an interface to the device. With it you tell the scanner what
to sca, how to scan and in what format. Once scanned it is delivered to the requesting
application. That requesting application (through its TWAIN compliance) then can use the
scanned image for whatever pupose it needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWAIN

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Brent wrote:
[...]

Naaaaaa, he was referring to Froot Loops!

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

"Ron" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I agree that it's probably a driver issue.
But the last HP printer I had (several years ago) had to have a massive
bloated application program installed that often crashed, and the only way
to fix it was to delete everything, and do a completely fresh install, each
time it did crash.
(usually once or twice a month)

OH !,... and now I remember why I no longer own an HP printer.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:23:41 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Perhaps he was refering to USB, Universal Serial Buss?

Actually, I meant the "parallel port".