Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default OT - cheap printer scanner copier

On May 30, 11:13*pm, "Dave Baker" wrote:
Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any recommendations?

I keep a Windows '98 machine just to keep a couple of old HP scanners
running. The additional depth of focus of an old scanner, compared to
a more modern ultra-high resolution(sic) model means that they're far
better at scanning from books, close in to the spine. Especially if
you lay the scanner on top of the book. Even better is to modify the
scanner to lose the lid and saw the side off the case as close as
possible to the scan window.

I'm no fan of combined machines. If you do a lot of fax or direct
copying, then perhaps, but even then I'd keep another printer for
"main use". For one thing, a cheap laser (HP 1300) has bargain
running costs compared to any inkjet.