Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Printer / scanner IP address problem

I've done a one-for-one replacement of a HP printer scanner off Ebay
(Photosmart 3210). It's a good buy and the machine works fine, with
one But.

The scanner is not communicating. I had to reset the printer IP
address in the router to **...1.72 from the previous **....1.68 to get
printing for the family with the software loaded with the original
machine. I found that HP do a scanner diagnostic utility - ahh
thought I - but that sticks at the first screen because it says the
scanner IP address is **...1.67, and I can find that IP address in the
HP section of the registry.

Is it the case that where these printer / scanners are concerned that
the printer and scanner have different IP addresses despite being in
the same box? I could just change the registry entry, but am
concerned that if I could screw things up if I put them both on the
same address.

Any ideas please - thanks

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2011 22:36, robgraham wrote:
[...]

I'd un-install all the HP software as a first step.
This should clear out any history of previous devices.

Then you must assign the HP device a static IP address.
Don't be so coy about the address!
If you have a normal domestic broadband router, your internal LAN
addresses will probably be 192.168.x.x.

Assignin it an address of 192.168.1.200 or whatever.

You say you made that assignmnet in your router.
That is possible: it's called a DHCP reservation.
It requires you to type in the devices MAC address, and it's a wee bit
technical. But I'm doubtfull that's what you have done.
Can you describe in *infinite* detail how you assigned the address on
the router? Let's start with router model, the tabs you went to, and
what you entered in them.

TBH, you may be better to set the IP on the device from it's own control
panel. I don't know the device, but I'm sure it will be possible to
set the IP/Mask/GW locally on the device.

Having set the device's IP address either by DHCP or manually, you then
need to be sure the device has actually picked up this address, and is
on the network.

Can you ping it?

Only once the device is on the network, and pinging, would I re-install
the software.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 11:08*pm, Ron Lowe wrote:
[...]

Hi Ron
Many thanks for replying. I had hoped that I would get away without
having to do the uninstall and reinstall as it was a one for one
change of the same model of printer/scanner - that means hunting for
the CD etc (!!), but I'm going to have to bite the bullet, blast it as
the HP Photosmart is showing up under Scanners and Cameras in the
Control Panel but doesn't have any Properties. As a printer it is AOK
and functioning as it should. The ping to 192.168.1.72 works fine,
and that's the number that comes up on the Technical Setup page on the
printer screen.

I actually got the route for setting the IP address for the printer
wrong - I did it through Printer properties. I was my hunting around
in the BT HomeHub advanced area that I was seeing the IP addresses
etc.

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2011 in message

robgraham wrote:

I had hoped that I would get away without
having to do the uninstall and reinstall as it was a one for one
change of the same model of printer/scanner - that means hunting for
the CD etc

Go and look on HP's website, they may well have updated drivers.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeff Gaines" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I had hoped that I would get away without having to do the uninstall and
reinstall as it was a one for one change of the same model of
printer/scanner - that means hunting for the CD etc

Go and look on HP's website, they may well have updated drivers.

Quite. Even with a new device, I'll download the latest-version drivers
rather than use the (possibly aged) CD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 08:47, Adrian wrote:
"Jeff gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

I had hoped that I would get away without having to do the uninstall and
reinstall as it was a one for one change of the same model of
printer/scanner - that means hunting for the CD etc

Go and look on HP's website, they may well have updated drivers.

Quite. Even with a new device, I'll download the latest-version drivers
rather than use the (possibly aged) CD.

I've probably posted this link before, but it probably applies to this
thread:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge presented the following explanation :
Buy a Laserjet 5 off eBay for £25 for day to day black and white,

They are very complex and not so easy to get parts for these days - can
I suggest the HP4000 is the better one to look for these days? Like the
LJ5, a reliable workhorse, but superficially less complex, cheap to buy
and parts still easily available.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Huge presented the following explanation :
Buy a Laserjet 5 off eBay for £25 for day to day black and white,

They are very complex and not so easy to get parts for these days - can
I suggest the HP4000 is the better one to look for these days? Like the
LJ5, a reliable workhorse, but superficially less complex, cheap to buy
and parts still easily available.

I swear by the HP LJ 6MP here for boring cheap black-and-white.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-03-13, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Huge presented the following explanation :
Buy a Laserjet 5 off eBay for £25 for day to day black and white,

They are very complex and not so easy to get parts for these days - can
I suggest the HP4000 is the better one to look for these days? Like the
LJ5, a reliable workhorse, but superficially less complex, cheap to buy
and parts still easily available.

Oh, OK. Good suggestion. My LJ5 is still bashing away, so I haven't looked
into replacing it.

The LJ 4MP+ that I bought in 1992 is still soldiering on. The only PITA is
that it doesn't do duplex. I have a duplex unit but they are fragile,
useless devices so I removed it. The other workhorse printer that does
really well for me is the Xerox Phaser. Photographic quality colour on
plain paper, duplex, built like a brick outhouse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-03-13, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Huge presented the following explanation :
Buy a Laserjet 5 off eBay for £25 for day to day black and white,

They are very complex and not so easy to get parts for these days - can
I suggest the HP4000 is the better one to look for these days? Like the
LJ5, a reliable workhorse, but superficially less complex, cheap to buy
and parts still easily available.

Oh, OK. Good suggestion. My LJ5 is still bashing away, so I haven't
looked into replacing it.

Same here, with 2 * LJ4M+. But I have plenty of spares, and it isn't that
complex.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-03-13, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Huge presented the following explanation :
Buy a Laserjet 5 off eBay for £25 for day to day black and white,

They are very complex and not so easy to get parts for these days - can
I suggest the HP4000 is the better one to look for these days? Like the
LJ5, a reliable workhorse, but superficially less complex, cheap to buy
and parts still easily available.

Oh, OK. Good suggestion. My LJ5 is still bashing away, so I haven't
looked into replacing it.

Same here, with 2 * LJ4M+. But I have plenty of spares, and it isn't that
complex.

LJ 2300 is also recomended. I have 3 about the place, one with a duplex unit
that just stopped working for some annoying reason, and they just keep going
also.

When it dies, i'll just buy another!

Tim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-03-13, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Huge presented the following explanation :
Buy a Laserjet 5 off eBay for £25 for day to day black and white,

They are very complex and not so easy to get parts for these days -
can I suggest the HP4000 is the better one to look for these days?
Like the LJ5, a reliable workhorse, but superficially less complex,
cheap to buy and parts still easily available.

Oh, OK. Good suggestion. My LJ5 is still bashing away, so I haven't
looked into replacing it.

Same here, with 2 * LJ4M+. But I have plenty of spares, and it isn't
that complex.

LJ 2300 is also recomended. I have 3 about the place, one with a duplex
unit that just stopped working for some annoying reason, and they just
keep going also.

When it dies, i'll just buy another!

I have 6 or 7 spare LJ4+ machines...! Plus boxes of spares...

(the last two cost me £7 the pair on eBay, plus a 20 minute journey up
the road).

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 21:28, Bob Eager wrote:

I have 6 or 7 spare LJ4+ machines...! Plus boxes of spares...

(the last two cost me £7 the pair on eBay, plus a 20 minute journey up
the road).

2* LJ4050N on the network here at Lowe Towers, both rescued from skip at
work. Cheap kit of rollers, and new toner carts ( also from work, where
they were now obsolete and destined for the bin ) and they are 100%.

Also 1* Dell 5100cn network colour laser with duplexer. Bit of a
monster, TBH. Just put in a set of after-market toners. We'll see
how that goes.

Brother bought some HP colour laser with duplexer recently, it was very
reasonably priced. Did IPv6 also, so extra kudos.

None of these do photo quality like be old Epson, but I will never go
back to inkjet. I'd rather out-source my photo prints.

--
Ron