Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default OT - cheap printer scanner copier

On May 31, 10:47*am, Steve Firth wrote:

Indeed HP seem to be using Win7 as something of a culling-point for
printers they consider to be "too old" and not releasing drivers for
them, when in fact the Vista drivers work just fine ... given how many
years and Windows versions they've supported HP LaserJet III and above
that's pretty shoddy.

It's easy to work around that using a Linux box as a print sever.

Linux support from HP? You've got to be joking! Even when I worked
at Labs, using official HP RedHat (yes, not HP-UX), HP's driver
support was pitiful for anything that needed more than a basic port.

LJIIIs will work for ever, and on anything, simply because they don't
need much. If you can shove Postscript or PCL to them, they'll take
it. Although it might become harder to generate suitable PCL from
within some apps, Postscript will still be workable.

I'm actually finding Win7 to be less trouble than XP or Vista was. You
have to fiddle compatibility settings, but I've had several W2K
drivers for weird stuff that are now working happily again under Win7,
when XP & Vista just didn't want to know.