Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_30_] Mark[_30_] is offline

Default OT - cheap printer scanner copier

On Tue, 31 May 2011 09:00:42 +0100, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere wrote:

On 31/05/2011 03:47, Tabby wrote:
On May 31, 1:14 am, "Nightjar\"cpb\"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 31/05/2011 00:07, wrote:

On 30 May,
"Dave wrote:

Need to replace my 20 year old HP Laserjet printer and although I have a
scanner it's so old it only works with Windows 95 or 98 and not XP. A three
in one ink jet machine looks like the best option so any recommendations?

Definitely not! Inkjets are a PITA, heads clogging and small capacity
cartridges. Laser printers just work, and are a lot cheaper to run. ...

One slight problem with lasers ATM is that Canon's main toner cartridge
manufacturing plant was in the path of the tsunami. Canon, of course,
also supply a lot of other brand names with their cartridges. Shortages
are already being reported in the USA and it is far from certain that
other manufacturers will be able to keep up with demand as people switch
to them.

Colin Bignell

I second the advice to avoid inkjets. They were a big move forward
from dot matrix in their time, but really should be obsolete due to
unreliability

Nothing wrong with their reliability, providing you use them properly.

Not always.

They don't like being left unusued for long periods of time. If you do,
it can be necessary to run a few head cleans to get them going again. In
the case of HP and some others, a new cartridge will give you a new
print head.

I have had equal problems with HP and Epson Inkjets that have not been
solved by any amount of head cleaning. I've also had to chuck out
almost new cartridges that don't work.
--
(\__/) M.