Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Neighbours can be a PITA

Bit of a follow-on from Adams post (which is a hoot).

Our pooch (who sticks her paws up to us) ran over the road and piddled on a
front lawn. As I collected the pooch the 'lady' of the house (35'ish) came
out muttering something. I said sorry or pardon (I forget which), she burst
forth (in upper case) with "YOU HEARD WHAT I SAID", I kinda lost interest
after that. I'm just hoping that she'll need some help sometime, I doubt
it'll ever happen, sadly (it never does). Yet again I must have 'walk all
over me' written on my brow. I would have said 'I hope you don't mind me
asking but would you try to keep your dog off our front lawn please'.
Yes I know, I'm the pillock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 01:14:32 +0100, "brass monkey" wrote:
Bit of a follow-on from Adams post (which is a hoot).

Our pooch (who sticks her paws up to us) ran over the road and piddled on a
front lawn. As I collected the pooch the 'lady' of the house (35'ish) came
out muttering something. I said sorry or pardon (I forget which), she burst
forth (in upper case) with "YOU HEARD WHAT I SAID", I kinda lost interest
after that. I'm just hoping that she'll need some help sometime, I doubt
it'll ever happen, sadly (it never does). Yet again I must have 'walk all
over me' written on my brow. I would have said 'I hope you don't mind me
asking but would you try to keep your dog off our front lawn please'.
Yes I know, I'm the pillock.

I bet the lady across the road agrees 100% with your subject line:

"Neighbours can be a PITA."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message
Bit of a follow-on from Adams post (which is a hoot).

Our pooch (who sticks her paws up to us) ran over the road and piddled on
a front lawn. As I collected the pooch the 'lady' of the house (35'ish)
came out muttering something. I said sorry or pardon (I forget which), she
burst forth (in upper case) with "YOU HEARD WHAT I SAID", I kinda lost
interest after that. I'm just hoping that she'll need some help sometime,
I doubt it'll ever happen, sadly (it never does). Yet again I must have
'walk all over me' written on my brow. I would have said 'I hope you don't
mind me asking but would you try to keep your dog off our front lawn
please'.
Yes I know, I'm the pillock.

Just to get this straight... a dog peed on your lawn? No bricks through the
window, car lights smashed, garage/house broken into, physical assault, gang
of youths shouting and screaming? Ok, just checking.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

I had to read it a few times to get it as well, but I think he's saying that
*his* dog ****ed on the lady across the road's lawn, and she was a bit
offensive about it. He is then putting himself in her shoes, and saying what
*he* would have said if the situation were reversed, and it was *his* lawn
that had been ****ed on by *her* dog ... I think ... :-)

If I were the OP though, I think I might have been a bit more worried about
the dog taking off on its own across the road, because if it did it in front
of me as I drove my car down there, he would probably get similar 'upper
case' verbals from me, but with a whole lot more expletives thrown in for
good measure !

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 5, 7:50 pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in messagenews:K6SdnVSLHeLxFqzRnZ2dnUVZ8gCdnZ2d@brigh tview.co.uk...

"brass monkey" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

In NZ, a dog in a street or park or beach is required to be on a lead,
and the owner is required to pick up its turds. Otherwise the dog will
be impounded and/or the owner fined. I think that works well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , brass monkey
writes
Bit of a follow-on from Adams post (which is a hoot).

Our pooch (who sticks her paws up to us) ran over the road and piddled on a
front lawn. As I collected the pooch the 'lady' of the house (35'ish) came
out muttering something. I said sorry or pardon (I forget which), she burst
forth (in upper case) with "YOU HEARD WHAT I SAID", I kinda lost interest
after that. I'm just hoping that she'll need some help sometime, I doubt
it'll ever happen, sadly (it never does). Yet again I must have 'walk all
over me' written on my brow. I would have said 'I hope you don't mind me
asking but would you try to keep your dog off our front lawn please'.
Yes I know, I'm the pillock.

Oh! Dog wars:-)

Try owning urban fringe farmland.

A point targeted at dog owners in general is that *damage* caused by an
individual dog is slight (brown patches from bitch piddle on lawns
excepted) however, even slight damage accumulates. During the course of
a day something approaching 100 pets are exercised on routes passing
through my crops.

Various access Acts require dogs to be kept under *close control* but
strong words with the owner usually get a response of *he/she does enjoy
it so* as if this overrides any conscience regarding private property.

Dog leads are only intended for protecting pets from road traffic after
all.

Rights of way have various widths in different parts of the country but
IMV none wide enough to allow the use of Frisbees, ball throwers or
other commonly brought implements to encourage the dog to run further
than the owner is willing to walk.

I suspect I am in a minority here so rant over:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message
Bit of a follow-on from Adams post (which is a hoot).

Our pooch (who sticks her paws up to us) ran over the road and piddled on
a front lawn. As I collected the pooch the 'lady' of the house (35'ish)
came out muttering something. I said sorry or pardon (I forget which), she
burst forth (in upper case) with "YOU HEARD WHAT I SAID", I kinda lost
interest after that. I'm just hoping that she'll need some help sometime,
I doubt it'll ever happen, sadly (it never does). Yet again I must have
'walk all over me' written on my brow. I would have said 'I hope you don't
mind me asking but would you try to keep your dog off our front lawn
please'.
Yes I know, I'm the pillock.

So now you have ****ed off your neighbour and let your dog cause a dead
patch on her lawn what's the next step?

Sneaking over at night and digging holes in the lawn?
Parking a car on the lawn?
Registering the car to one of your other neighbours whom has had your dog
pee on their lawn?

Or do what a sensible person would have done and took a watering can of
water over to dilute the dogs pee before it sent the grass yellow and said
sorry? Or are you ball less like some other posters in this group and can't
actually do anything unless they are hiding behind some Pole that's gone
home?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:09:59 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

I suspect I am in a minority here so rant over:-)

Nope, I'm with you, provided the rights of way that do cross your
land are signed and stiles, gates etc maintained. Both parties, the
farmer and the public have a duty to respect each other.
Unfortunately many of the great unwashed from the towns seem to think
that the countryside is just a play park for them not a place of work
and the source of someone lively hood.

We don't have crops around here just livestock but I fully support
any farmer that gives any (unknown/uncontrolled) dog on the loose
around their stock the "benefit" of the pointy end of a shotgun. If
the owner is about certainly give warning to the owner to get their
dog under control and back on a lead pronto or it will be shot.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:09:59 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

I suspect I am in a minority here so rant over:-)

Nope, I'm with you, provided the rights of way that do cross your
land are signed and stiles, gates etc maintained. Both parties, the
farmer and the public have a duty to respect each other.
Unfortunately many of the great unwashed from the towns seem to think
that the countryside is just a play park for them not a place of work
and the source of someone lively hood.

We don't have crops around here just livestock but I fully support
any farmer that gives any (unknown/uncontrolled) dog on the loose
around their stock the "benefit" of the pointy end of a shotgun. If
the owner is about certainly give warning to the owner to get their
dog under control and back on a lead pronto or it will be shot.

How odd, my neighbourly farmer who sadly died earlier his year, couldn't
give a hoot about the dogs..deer do far more damage as do the badgers
and rabbits..except he didn't want them chasing his pheasants. But he
accepted that that was inevitable where the footpaths lay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2010 10:53, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Unfortunately many of the great unwashed from the towns seem to think
that the countryside is just a play park for them not a place of work
and the source of someone lively hood.

Sounds like a livelihood for a keen Mafia hitman "lively hood". :-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

[...]

But Dennis, it is the anonymity that makes what I did funny. I COULD have
parked my van across his driveway and punched him in the gob. Instead I
decided to wind him up to screaming pitch without spending a night in the
cells, paying a fine and doing 100 hours community service. I also could
have had parking tickets and speeding tickets put on the car, however that
would be just too nasty and the police may actually do something if that
were to happen. I have probably made the guy £50 as he will be able to weigh
the car in. The guy has an attitude problem - he blocks me in on a driveway
and complains at ME when at 6.30am I have to wake him up to move his car. He
sealed his own fate when he called me a **** (from the safety of an upstairs
window) for waking him up and then got his wife to move the car as he was
too scared to come outside himself.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

:-)

Zactly, I have no prob at all about the complaint, just seems that civility
has gone out the window these days.

If I were the OP though, I think I might have been a bit more worried
about the dog taking off on its own across the road, because if it did it
in front of me as I drove my car down there, he would probably get similar
'upper case' verbals from me, but with a whole lot more expletives thrown
in for good measure !

It's an end of cul-de-sac, but yea, bloody dogs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

After her upper-case approach, "nothing" is the next step, I only get
rubbed-up the wrong way once.

Sneaking over at night and digging holes in the lawn?
Parking a car on the lawn?
Registering the car to one of your other neighbours whom has had your dog
pee on their lawn?

Or do what a sensible person would have done and took a watering can of
water over to dilute the dogs pee before it sent the grass yellow and said
sorry? Or are you ball less like some other posters in this group and
can't actually do anything unless they are hiding behind some Pole that's
gone home?

I hope you have safety nets below your pedestal, Dennis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:13:09 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

We don't have crops around here just livestock but I fully support
any farmer that gives any (unknown/uncontrolled) dog on the loose
around their stock the "benefit" of the pointy end of a shotgun.

If
the owner is about certainly give warning to the owner to get

their
dog under control and back on a lead pronto or it will be shot.

How odd, my neighbourly farmer who sadly died earlier his year, couldn't
give a hoot about the dogs..deer do far more damage as do the badgers
and rabbits..except he didn't want them chasing his pheasants.

Arable farmer rather than livestock? If you don't have livestock dogs
don't frighten or kill your "crop", where as deer and rabbits do...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

I once lived near the end of a cul-de-sac. Never again. It became a
playground for kids who had no respect for cars, Had dogs lying in the road,
etc. I prefer the constant passage of traffic - it leads to everyone
understanding the rules of the road a bit better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , brass monkey
writes
[...]

I suspect that you are in a minority. But that is due to people's ignorance
rather than malicious intent. 100 dogs a day through the growing season is a
lot of crops damaged. I'd rant if it was my crops.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"brass monkey" wrote in message
Bit of a follow-on from Adams post (which is a hoot).

Our pooch (who sticks her paws up to us) ran over the road and
piddled on a front lawn. As I collected the pooch the 'lady' of the
house (35'ish) came out muttering something. I said sorry or pardon
(I forget which), she burst forth (in upper case) with "YOU HEARD
WHAT I SAID", I kinda lost interest after that. I'm just hoping that
she'll need some help sometime, I doubt it'll ever happen, sadly (it
never does). Yet again I must have 'walk all over me' written on my
brow. I would have said 'I hope you don't mind me asking but would
you try to keep your dog off our front lawn please'.
Yes I know, I'm the pillock.

So now you have ****ed off your neighbour and let your dog cause a
dead patch on her lawn what's the next step?

He didn't 'let' the dog **** on the grass, it just ****ed on the grass, it's
an animal, not an extension of himself, this is where irrational people like
you and his snotty neighbour can't seperate the two.

If it had been my dog i would have apologised to the neighbour and scolded
the mutt in the process, and if any 'UPPER CASE' mutterings came forth, they
would have been told that, 'it's a dog, it's not on a secret mission to kill
grass and nor was it ordered to do so, and get the **** over it you sad
****'

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2010 14:25, John wrote:

I once lived near the end of a cul-de-sac. Never again. It became a
playground for kids who had no respect for cars, Had dogs lying in the road,
etc. I prefer the constant passage of traffic - it leads to everyone
understanding the rules of the road a bit better.

I live on what is now a cul-de-sac. It's great. People play on the road
outside, cats lying in the road, etc. (shortage of dogs to lie in the
road here).

It's more of a living space than a road - people learning the rules of
the road can do that on the roads which get here, and rather than
wasting all that space for the occasional car, it gets used.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
news
dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Buy a cat. It is guaranteed it will **** and **** in the neighbours garden.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:13:09 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

We don't have crops around here just livestock but I fully support
any farmer that gives any (unknown/uncontrolled) dog on the loose
around their stock the "benefit" of the pointy end of a shotgun.

If
the owner is about certainly give warning to the owner to get

their
dog under control and back on a lead pronto or it will be shot.

How odd, my neighbourly farmer who sadly died earlier his year, couldn't
give a hoot about the dogs..deer do far more damage as do the badgers
and rabbits..except he didn't want them chasing his pheasants.

Arable farmer rather than livestock? If you don't have livestock dogs
don't frighten or kill your "crop", where as deer and rabbits do...

very much arable here..only livestock apart from the few hobby sheep and
pigs are horses..for racing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , brass monkey
writes
[...]

My dogs are not interested in crops, and do zero damage to them, except
when the terrier chases the deer across them, which does a bit more,
deer being a bit bigger.

Dogs like places other animals are/have been. And that's the paths, and
the woods and the hedges. Crop fields are boring, to dogs.

Mind you, its about 6 dogs a day max, on a sunday. On the average day,
its me only.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2010 14:25, John wrote:
"brass wrote in message

"Arfa wrote in message
> [...]

"Mungo "Two Sheds" wrote in message
o.uk...

"brass wrote in message
[...]

Likewise. Have to sleep in the back of the house and the drive fills up
with cigarette ends but not as bad as sitting there guessing how much
damage the car is taking or whether the next ball to hit the window will
result in a shower of broken glass on us and the settee.
We are responsible dog owners. Sadly many dog owners are not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2010 14:37, Phil L wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
"brass wrote in message
[...]

We keep our dog off other people's property unless invited. It tends to
be cats that are the real menace though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Ah bugger. Not read properly. Seems obvious on second reading. Apologies to
OP. As you were.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 July, 16:24, Invisible Man wrote:
On 05/07/2010 14:37, Phil L wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
"brass *wrote in message
.. .
[...]

be cats that are the real menace though.- Hide quoted text -

The cure for cats is mousetraps. (The killing type) No bait
neccessary..........
Or if they're ****ing, diesel oil.
I lived in on a farm in Wales. My neighbours all had sheep. Dogs were
shot on sight. Dozens every year. It was like Vietnam at times. They
would stay up all night on a dog shoot.
We had a few cows. Now they would chase the dogs and the people with
them. If you have a dog, never go near a cow and calf. The cow thinks
"wolf" and acts accordingly. They can be surprisingly savage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message news:b2ff861a-6634-45f5-

I lived in on a farm in Wales. My neighbours all had sheep. Dogs were
shot on sight.

You would have good fun in Essex:-) And you could use a better phrase than
"My neighbours all had sheep"

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"brass wrote in message
[...]

Really I wouldn't keep a dog in a town or suburbs.

You need to be out in the sticks to be fair on the dog, or the neighbours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"harry" wrote in message news:b2ff861a-6634-45f5-

I lived in on a farm in Wales. My neighbours all had sheep. Dogs were
shot on sight.

yes. Its almost impossible to control a dog (apart from highly trained
collies) in the presence of sheep., They are irresistibly chaseable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

I lived in on a farm in Wales. My neighbours all had sheep. Dogs

were
shot on sight.

yes. Its almost impossible to control a dog (apart from highly

trained
collies) in the presence of sheep., They are irresistibly chaseable.

We thought that, and 18 months ago our 26 month old Vizsla would have
been a great risk to a flock. However now we have ninty sheep on the
farm he has become acclimatised, and we can safely walk our fields
with him off the lead - quite a pleasant surprise. By contrast our
shepardess has acquired a 12 month old Border Collie for training, and
try as she might cannot get it to chase sheep!!!!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb writes:
A point targeted at dog owners in general is that *damage* caused by an
individual dog is slight (brown patches from bitch piddle on lawns
excepted) however,

In my case, that's fox piddle.
However, on a few occasions now, the vixen has brought her two
cubs to have a play on the lawn at twilight, and that has more
than made up for the odd brown patch.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

I lived in on a farm in Wales. My neighbours all had sheep. Dogs

were
shot on sight.

yes. Its almost impossible to control a dog (apart from highly

trained
collies) in the presence of sheep., They are irresistibly chaseable.

We thought that, and 18 months ago our 26 month old Vizsla would have
been a great risk to a flock. However now we have ninty sheep on the
farm he has become acclimatised, and we can safely walk our fields
with him off the lead - quite a pleasant surprise. By contrast our
shepardess has acquired a 12 month old Border Collie for training, and
try as she might cannot get it to chase sheep!!!!

well I have a border terrier that will chase anything!

If that's what you want..

He's a nightmare if I don't see the sheep first and he does.

Had a whole flock penned into the corner of a field in about 30 seconds.
Occasionally he would charge them to make them break cover, so as to
have the fun of chasing them all back again.

I nearly had a heart attack getting to the field. Fortunately the sheep
took it all in good sport, and none died of heart attacks.

And he got carried ignominiously home tucked under an arm.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim Lamb writes:
A point targeted at dog owners in general is that *damage* caused by an
individual dog is slight (brown patches from bitch piddle on lawns
excepted) however,

In my case, that's fox piddle.
However, on a few occasions now, the vixen has brought her two
cubs to have a play on the lawn at twilight, and that has more
than made up for the odd brown patch.

Moonlight and a 12 bore?

I take it you don't keep chickens..

If all the people who complain about cats and birds, saw what foxes do
to birds..

Cats here have wrecked the rabbit population. Go cats, Go! At least cats
don't eat seedlings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

yes. Its almost impossible to control a dog (apart from highly trained
collies) in the presence of sheep., They are irresistibly chaseable.

Rubbish.
I used to walk my parents German Sheppards and they never chased sheep.
Dogs do whatever the owner lets them not what they want to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

I lived in on a farm in Wales. My neighbours all had sheep. Dogs

were
shot on sight.
yes. Its almost impossible to control a dog (apart from highly

trained
collies) in the presence of sheep., They are irresistibly chaseable.

We thought that, and 18 months ago our 26 month old Vizsla would have
been a great risk to a flock. However now we have ninty sheep on the
farm he has become acclimatised, and we can safely walk our fields
with him off the lead - quite a pleasant surprise. By contrast our
shepardess has acquired a 12 month old Border Collie for training, and
try as she might cannot get it to chase sheep!!!!

well I have a border terrier that will chase anything!

They are the best dogs in the world.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2010 17:15, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote in message news:b2ff861a-6634-45f5-

I lived in on a farm in Wales. My neighbours all had sheep. Dogs were
shot on sight.

You would have good fun in Essex:-) And you could use a better phrase than
"My neighbours all had sheep"

Adam

When it is really quiet I occasionally hear the sound of cattle from
Writtle college. In a previous house in another Essex village I had a
field at the rear which I knew had a standing crop. I was puzzled why I
was suddenly hearing sheep in the night. Turned out ewes and lambs had
been moved on to the grassland to the side of the house. Essex is not
all chavs or oilseed rape.
Sadly in Hatfield Forest I did see a herd of cows spooked by an out of
control dog. They are VERY big when they are running at you. Fortunately
there was a large tree to hide behind although my wife is terrified of
cows at the best of time. Fortunately she was not as **** scared as the
poor cows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

I think it varies a lot. I grew up on a (sort of) crescent, which was a
great place; my cousins grew up in a cul-de-sac which was also great; my
wife on the other hand grew up in a cul-de-sac that was a parking nightmare
and full of extremely nosy and troublesome neighbours. We now live on a
straight road where the neighbours take an interest and note everyhting
that's going on, but without intruding; the only downside being too much
traffic and poor visibility due to parked vans, making it less than perfect
for the younger kids.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2010 19:47, Invisible Man wrote:
[...]

We have some terrible NIMBYS around here who escaped from London.
Probably the worst neighbour though was the one with the arable field we
backed on to in rural Norfolk. Completely destroyed our vegetable patch
more than once through careless spraying.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 14:34:21 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , brass monkey
writes
[...]

Unfortunately too many dog owners show a great deal of ignorance. In my
school days, we had games lessons on the school playing fields ... that dog
owners brought their dogs to every day - disgusting! We also have grass
verges at the roadside outside our house and we and our young children
often have to play dodge the dog poo - which is nigh on impossible during
the dark winter months. The local "dog excercise area" is the public
playing field, laid out with football and lacrosse pitches. Why do these
owners think it's okay to invade every play area and allow their animals to
foul it?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:09:59 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

I suspect I am in a minority here so rant over:-)

Nope, I'm with you, provided the rights of way that do cross your
land are signed and stiles, gates etc maintained. Both parties, the
farmer and the public have a duty to respect each other.

Yes. Actually most signage is done by user groups with Highways
responsible for where a r.o.w. leaves the metalled highway. I have a
good relationship with the County Official who supplies bits for me to
install.

Unfortunately many of the great unwashed from the towns seem to think
that the countryside is just a play park for them not a place of work
and the source of someone lively hood.

Umm.. without them, what would I do with the produce?

We don't have crops around here just livestock but I fully support
any farmer that gives any (unknown/uncontrolled) dog on the loose
around their stock the "benefit" of the pointy end of a shotgun. If
the owner is about certainly give warning to the owner to get their
dog under control and back on a lead pronto or it will be shot.

Tricky one, that. It is an offence to have a dog *at large* in a field
of sheep. Shooting a dog not actually engaged in worrying livestock is
likely to bring unwelcome police interest.

Anyway, my guns are all locked away in the farmhouse and not usually to
hand.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim Lamb writes:
A point targeted at dog owners in general is that *damage* caused by
an individual dog is slight (brown patches from bitch piddle on
lawns excepted) however,

In my case, that's fox piddle.
However, on a few occasions now, the vixen has brought her two
cubs to have a play on the lawn at twilight, and that has more
than made up for the odd brown patch.

Moonlight and a 12 bore?

I take it you don't keep chickens..

If all the people who complain about cats and birds, saw what foxes do
to birds..

Cats here have wrecked the rabbit population. Go cats, Go! At least
cats don't eat seedlings.

Or dig up your lawn for Leather Jackets!

regards

--
Tim Lamb