Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Packaging - Protection - PITA!

I understand that when you get a new piece of equiptment that has cast
iron parts, you should figure on spending some time getting the
cosmoline.
or whatever their using as rust protection, off. It's kind of like the
first
steps of getting to know the unit.

BUT - the SOB who came up with plastic shrink wrap packaging desreves a
good wack up side the head. I know it's real convenient for the store
owner - easy to display, harder to steal etc. . However, from the
buyer/
customer perspective - we shouldn't have to have metal shears to open
the damned packaging to get to the thing we paid for!.

Now, after spending 45 minutes getting that semi gummy clear "dipped
to protect it" crap off a mini-cope & stick /raised panel router bit set
I think I have a new candidate for the Take Him / Her Outside & Give
Him/
Her A Good Wack Up Side The Head Award. Some of this stuff on a dado
bit or even a round over bit isn't a blood pressure raiser. This stuff
on this set is. Getting this crap off the bearing between the upper
and lower cutters of each of the three bits got me initially mumbling
to myself (think the classic A Christmas Story - you'll shoot you're
eye out), then cussing out loud - in Spanish ( neighbors have small
children - who, oddly enough, don't speak Spanish - a rarity in Calif.)
I mean, words I haven't heard, let alone said out loud, since the last
Carnival I "participated in" back in Panama in the mid 60s ( some of
it I didn't remeber the next day. BTW - if you drink enough to not
remember the next day - just pass out. If you stay on your feet
after your brain stops working you might wake up the next day
engaged. DAMHIKT)

EI even used words in Spanish that sound terrible but aren't actually
cuss words - chuleta -pronounced "CHOOOOOO-letuh!" - which means
"porkchop" and ajo - pronounced "AHHHHH HOE!" which means garlic.
Even went into Espanglish - "Mira, what kind of Pendejo would think
this mierda up?"

So packaging folks - if you're listening - STOP IT!

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie b" wrote in message
[...]

Give 'em hell Charlie!

I remember taking a business class years ago from a biz history professor.
He was fond of asking off the cuff, spontaneous questions at the beginning
of each class on unrelated biz topics. I never forget one day.

He asked the question, "How does a manufacturer know when his product is
packaged properly?"

Being the young smartass I was, I answered, "When you have to destroy the
product to open the package." This was met with much laughter.

The instructor grinned and made a remark to the effect that was exactly the
case from time to time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie b wrote:

I understand that when you get a new piece of equiptment that has cast
iron parts, you should figure on spending some time getting the
cosmoline.
or whatever their using as rust protection, off. It's kind of like the
first
steps of getting to know the unit.

BUT - the SOB who came up with plastic shrink wrap packaging desreves a
good wack up side the head. I know it's real convenient for the store
owner - easy to display, harder to steal etc. . However, from the
buyer/
customer perspective - we shouldn't have to have metal shears to open
the damned packaging to get to the thing we paid for!.

LOL! I've always felt there is a special place n Hell reserved for the
designer of that packaging, right next to the individuals who invented
the "easy to remove" stitching on the top of charcoal bags (am I the
only one that is able to put the right string only about 10% of the
time?) and the inventer of old band aid packaging with the string that
occasionally let you rip open the side if the package, but usually
just pulled out of the sleeve.
Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:

LOL! I've always felt there is a special place n Hell reserved for the
designer of that packaging, right next to the individuals who invented
the "easy to remove" stitching on the top of charcoal bags (am I the
only one that is able to put the right string only about 10% of the
time?) and the inventer of old band aid packaging with the string that
occasionally let you rip open the side if the package, but usually
just pulled out of the sleeve.

You obviously didn't spend any time as a kid on the farm opening
burlap bags full of feed.

You learn how to pull the right string to open the bag before the end
of the first day.

Trust me.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

alexy wrote:

LOL! I've always felt there is a special place n Hell reserved for the
designer of that packaging, right next to the individuals who invented
the "easy to remove" stitching on the top of charcoal bags (am I the
only one that is able to put the right string only about 10% of the
time?) and the inventer of old band aid packaging with the string that
occasionally let you rip open the side if the package, but usually
just pulled out of the sleeve.

You obviously didn't spend any time as a kid on the farm opening
burlap bags full of feed.

You learn how to pull the right string to open the bag before the end
of the first day.

Trust me.

Oh, I don't doubt you for a minute. It's when you do it once every 6
weeks that it gets to be a challengeg. And you are right; I didn't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"alexy" wrote in message
news

LOL! I've always felt there is a special place n Hell reserved for the
designer of that packaging, right next to the individuals who invented
the "easy to remove" stitching on the top of charcoal bags (am I the
only one that is able to put the right string only about 10% of the
time?) and the inventer of old band aid packaging with the string that
occasionally let you rip open the side if the package, but usually
just pulled out of the sleeve.

You and I, Alexy must be AR in this respect. I too spend way too much
time trying to guess which end and side of the bag to remove the string.
And, what does it accomplish? You eventually end up with an open bag just
like if you simply cut the top off. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

.....and then there was the nonstick teflon frypan I coudn't get the
label off of. I was
hungry, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie,

Share the frustration, as do we all probably. I worry when I am trying
to peel the sealing goop off router bits, do I slice my finger, or do I
damage the edge by using a knife/pointy object, or do I throw it against the
wall and hope the stuff falls off...

Course if I buy better router bits CMT say, they are not immersed in the
semi solid plastic rubbish.. :-) good excuse for SWMBO.

Mike

Snip

BUT - the SOB who came up with plastic shrink wrap packaging desreves a
good wack up side the head. I know it's real convenient for the store
owner - easy to display, harder to steal etc. . However, from the
buyer/
customer perspective - we shouldn't have to have metal shears to open
the damned packaging to get to the thing we paid for!.

Now, after spending 45 minutes getting that semi gummy clear "dipped
to protect it" crap off a mini-cope & stick /raised panel router bit set
I think I have a new candidate for the Take Him / Her Outside & Give
Him/
Her A Good Wack Up Side The Head Award. Some of this stuff on a dado

Snip

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:55:47 -0400, alexy wrote:

charlie b wrote:

[...]

The secret to those feed or other paper bags with the tear string &
strip? Grasp the string, tab and all at one end of the bag with one hand,
brace the bag with the second hand. Pull sharply, tab, stitching, and
paper covering across the entire bag, ripping the top off the bag at the
stitch lines, enjoy product inside.

From experience with paper feed bags. The fastest way to open
supplements while grinding feed was to rip the top off in the above
described fashion.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:

Use a pointy object made of mild steel, brass, ect. Won't hurt a thing.

Great, now I have to make a tool, out of a metal that's not intended
to hold an edge, in order to get the goop off the the tool that is
intended
to hold an edge so I can use it?

That'd take "Fixin' To . . ." to new heights, or more aptly - depths.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

A nail would work. The majority of cutters I deal with like this are at work
so there is always a scrap of something laying around. Router bits, though,
are frequently more difficult to get the coating off. It's common practice
with the metal guys to dip the cutter in oil before the plastic dip. Makes
it come off easy. A lot of the router bits I've gotten, the stuff sticks
pretty good (to good).

surge protectors karsan Home Repair 34 June 15th 06 02:05 AM
Lightning protection AND putting a receptacle on UPS SQLit Home Repair 3 December 22nd 05 01:19 PM
Leaving machines plugged in Andy Asberry Metalworking 10 October 18th 05 09:30 PM
electrical interruption Choreboy Home Repair 41 April 17th 05 10:14 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM