Old April 3rd 05, 02:22 AM
Choreboy

Default electrical interruption

It's a gusty day. I was in a house across the street when a light
flickered for two seconds. Digital equipment in three rooms had to be
reset: microwave, answering machine, computer, and television.

I've always assumed such flickering comes from arcing in a transmission
line, but digital clocks in two other rooms were not affected. The same
transformer supplies my house, and none of my digital equipment was affected.

What could cause power fluctuations that would affect household
electronics on some circuits but not others?

Choreboy

Old April 3rd 05, 02:42 AM
Charlie Bress

The clocks probably have battery back-up so that the alarm will not be reset
if the outage comes when you are sleeping.

Some other equipment had large enough storage capacity for the power supply
so that it will survive a brief outage without resetting.

Charlie

Old April 3rd 05, 02:45 AM
Dan C

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:22:50 -0500, Choreboy wrote:

What could cause power fluctuations that would affect household
electronics on some circuits but not others?

Probably a bad ground in your breaker box. Look for discoloration.

Linux Registered User #327951

Old April 3rd 05, 03:17 AM
Mark

it is possible that one side of the 240 went out and not the other but
noy likely

most probably the outage was long enough to reset some but not all

Mark

Old April 3rd 05, 08:04 AM
PrecisionMachinisT

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
it is possible that one side of the 240 went out and not the other but
noy likely

most probably the outage was long enough to reset some but not all

Many electronic devices will have filter capacitors in the power supply and
so it will take some amount of time for the dc buss voltage to drop when
input power source is disconnected.

--

SVL

Old April 3rd 05, 08:26 AM
George E. Cawthon

Choreboy wrote:
It's a gusty day. I was in a house across the street when a light
flickered for two seconds. Digital equipment in three rooms had to be
reset: microwave, answering machine, computer, and television.

I've always assumed such flickering comes from arcing in a transmission
line, but digital clocks in two other rooms were not affected. The same
transformer supplies my house, and none of my digital equipment was affected.

What could cause power fluctuations that would affect household
electronics on some circuits but not others?

Choreboy

Probably the difference in the electronics. I
have one VCR that always require a reset with an
interruption and another VCR that isn't usually
bothered. Same applies to some other electronics.
Old April 3rd 05, 02:35 PM
m Ransley

That house may have a loose feed it is something your utility will check
and fix free even on sunday as it can damage electronics. I had that
problem. The clocks probably have battery backup.

Old April 3rd 05, 03:43 PM
Joseph Meehan

Choreboy wrote:
It's a gusty day. I was in a house across the street when a light
flickered for two seconds. Digital equipment in three rooms had to be
reset: microwave, answering machine, computer, and television.

I've always assumed such flickering comes from arcing in a
transmission line, but digital clocks in two other rooms were not
affected. The same transformer supplies my house, and none of my
digital equipment was affected.

What could cause power fluctuations that would affect household
electronics on some circuits but not others?

Choreboy

I suggest that you may want to invest into some whole house surge
protectors in addition to any point source protection you now have or may
add. That kind of problem can be an indication of possible surge problems.
Most newer equipment is less sensitive to surge issues and they also are
better able to maintain a few seconds of outage and still maintain their
internal memory. I suspect what you found was that some of your equipment
is older or of low quality than those that maintained their time.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old April 3rd 05, 09:42 PM
RMUH

Choreboy wrote:

It's a gusty day. I was in a house across the street when a light
flickered for two seconds. Digital equipment in three rooms had to be
reset: microwave, answering machine, computer, and television.

I've always assumed such flickering comes from arcing in a transmission
line, but digital clocks in two other rooms were not affected. The same
transformer supplies my house, and none of my digital equipment was affected.

What could cause power fluctuations that would affect household
electronics on some circuits but not others?

Choreboy

The problem might be local to that house, such as a bad connection in
the service drop. Also, some electronic equipment will withstand a brief
interruption in power better than other equipment.

--
Tony Electric
http://dotznize.com/electric

The Reticulan Museum Of Unnatural History
http://ouchouch.com/fancy.html
Old April 3rd 05, 09:52 PM
Choreboy

m Ransley wrote:

That house may have a loose feed it is something your utility will check
and fix free even on sunday as it can damage electronics. I had that
problem. The clocks probably have battery backup.

The flickering of the ceiling light lasted long enough for the lady of
the house to ask, "What's that?" and me to turn around and see it.

After finding four electronic devices scrambled in three rooms, she
checked the bedroom clocks, saying they always go out if the power
flickers. They were fine. It makes sense that the breakers for the
side of the house with the problems would be on the same side of the
breaker box.

The same transformer supplies my house. I have computerized stuff
plugged into both sides of the line, and none was affected. However,
the line that supplies my neighbors supplies another neighbor, who says
she had to reset her electronics after her lights flickered at the same
time yesterday.

I guess it's a splice up above. I see a couple of popped splice covers
up there; maybe they overheated sometime due to resistance in the
connection. Could a bad splice have welded itself during the
flickering? As it didn't affect my service I suppose I shouldn't be the
one to report it. What would my neighbors risk by not reporting it?

Choreboy