Choreboy

w_tom wrote:

Choreboy still does not appreciate that my knowledge comes
from well beyond suffering damage. Suffering damage teaches
little. Notice how theory completely changes Choreboy's
conclusions - the computer protected itself.

I built protectors. Saw some fail spectacularly. Other
worked phenomenally when other unprotected appliances suffered
damage. Even replaces electronic components on damages
equipment to learn why damage happens - ie followed the
circuit path of surges. Experience is useless without the
associate theory.

The astronomers who first said earth revolved around the sun suffered
because their observations contradicted theory. The guy who found that
medal objects had buoyancy also suffered for contradicting theory.

Computers have internal protection. A transient too small
to overwhelm computer protection instead easily destroyed a
grossly undersized protector. Yes, undersized protector. How
many joules in that protector? Why is that plug-in protector
so grossly undersized? Rudy demonstrates why. He then
assumes an ineffective and burned protector did something.
Reality - that computer protected itself. A tiny transient
destroyed the grossly undersized plug-in protector.

Is the protection built into a computer undersized?

No wonder those plug-in manufacturers avoid all
discussion about earthing.

Zero Surge used to discuss it on their website.

Does zone of service suggest where a protector will be
effective? No. Those zones only define the electrical
characteristics of a transient. Those zones define where a
protector can be used safely - for human safety.

No, the grounding conductor in your wiring could pick up a surge at
various points in a building, especially in a thunderstorm. A plug-in
protector will keep it from killing your computer.

BTW, the utility already has installed protection on the
utility wires. You should inspect this protection - the
primary protection:
http://www.tvtower.com/fpl.html

It's no protection for computers. If lightning hits in your area, the
power company's grounding rods will pick up the surge and bring it right
to your house.

How does a 'point of use' protector provide protection?
When it makes a 'less than 10 foot' connection to earth
ground. If earthing is not provided, then the protector must
be moved to where earth ground exists: the service entrance.
Also called 'whole house' protector.

Earth ground is for human protection, in case you stand in a puddle or
touch a metal pipe. All that matters to electronic gear is whether it's
connected to conductors with large voltage differences.

But again, the protector is not protection. Choreboy still
does not yet grasp the point. It is not about "plug-in
protectors are worthless". That was not the point.
Protection is about earthing. More importantly "the quality
of and connection to a single point earth ground".

Earthing once cost me a computer. A lightning surge came in the power
company's grounded conductor, through the whole-house protector to the
120 line, from that line through the computer to modem to the phone
line, from there through the telco entrance lightning protector to the
telco entrance earth ground.

I discovered the problem and bonded the grounds before the next strike.
Zero Surge says a protector won't protect your equipment if the earth
grounds aren't bonded.

Choreboy suffered damage even with a 'whole house'
protector. That means he should begin by asking questions
about his earthing system.

The only electrical path to my stereo and TV was from the hot wire to
the neutral. There was no ground wire. The antenna was rabbit ears.

To talk about protectors as
protection means one does not grasp the concept. To believe a
vaporized protector was effective is only wild speculation.
Single point earth ground. The one absolutely necessary
component. The component that defines protection.

If there is any other path by which a ground surge can affect you, a
single-point earth ground is a hazard to people and equipment. I have
two points here. I needed four points at the farm to stop damage. A
lineman I know needed three points at his house.