Choreboy

AlanBown wrote:

SOARS book on grounding has some easy text. Try your library.
IEEE 519 (I think) says for surge protection you need to do 2 of the 3
zones. One zone is the utility so that is out. Next is the service, next is
point of use. So as a user you can protect the service and point of use.

I just installed a GE made surge arrestor for my GE service. Just plugs in
to the buss and acts like a 2 pole breaker with a green light.
http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/prod...g&lan g=en_US
incase your interested, other manufactures make them for their panels as
well.

That indicator light would be helpful.

I also have point of use protection. Most of the ones made today have
protection levels of around 330v. Remember Metal Oxide Varsities are UL
tested ONCE. Not twice. I replace all of my point of use stuff every 2 years
just before the Monsoons.

If your really into it test your grounding at your service. You will need to
beg or borrow special equipment for this. Check out
http://www.groundtesterstore.com/clamp/aemc3731.php

That's expensive! If it merely clamps around a conductor, I wonder how
it tells grounding resistance. I know it's hard to measure with an
ordinary ohmmeter. When I did it years ago, I think I checked the flow
from a 9-V battery between two ground rods.

I have used one of these many times. Especially when driving grounds for
fall of potential is out of the question.

I don't understand that sentence.