Rudy

A destructive transient cannot be blocked, stopped, or
absorbed. Series inductance will stop the transient? Fuse
will stop a transient? Does not happen. Numbers provided in
the previous post make that woefully obvious.

A few years back, there was a lightning storm in the neighborhood. One hit
sounded really close aboard and the lights flickered a bit. Couldnt see
anything that got damaged but the next day when I went into the den to work
on the computer, I smelled something like plastic burning. (BTW, I dont
leave my computer "on" when not in use).

I tried to power it up but no luck. I looked behind the desk and found my
APC surge protector had no green lights on it. I opened up the case and
there was a bunch of fried circuits and melted plastic inside. Fortunately,
APC warranteed the unit for 5 years so I got a new one for the cost of
shipping.

I "dont leave home without it" now. Now that I think about it..I'd better
get one for my new Big Screen HDTV ASAP !!

Rudy