Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default Neighbours can be a PITA

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 14:34:21 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , brass monkey
writes
Bit of a follow-on from Adams post (which is a hoot).

Our pooch (who sticks her paws up to us) ran over the road and piddled on
front lawn. As I collected the pooch the 'lady' of the house (35'ish) came
out muttering something. I said sorry or pardon (I forget which), she
burst
forth (in upper case) with "YOU HEARD WHAT I SAID", I kinda lost interest
after that. I'm just hoping that she'll need some help sometime, I doubt
it'll ever happen, sadly (it never does). Yet again I must have 'walk all
over me' written on my brow. I would have said 'I hope you don't mind me
asking but would you try to keep your dog off our front lawn please'.
Yes I know, I'm the pillock.

Oh! Dog wars:-)

Try owning urban fringe farmland.

A point targeted at dog owners in general is that *damage* caused by an
individual dog is slight (brown patches from bitch piddle on lawns
excepted) however, even slight damage accumulates. During the course of a
day something approaching 100 pets are exercised on routes passing through
my crops.

Various access Acts require dogs to be kept under *close control* but
strong words with the owner usually get a response of *he/she does enjoy
it so* as if this overrides any conscience regarding private property.

Dog leads are only intended for protecting pets from road traffic after
all.

Rights of way have various widths in different parts of the country but
IMV none wide enough to allow the use of Frisbees, ball throwers or other
commonly brought implements to encourage the dog to run further than the
owner is willing to walk.

I suspect I am in a minority here so rant over:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

I suspect that you are in a minority. But that is due to people's ignorance
rather than malicious intent. 100 dogs a day through the growing season is a
lot of crops damaged. I'd rant if it was my crops.

Adam

Unfortunately too many dog owners show a great deal of ignorance. In my
school days, we had games lessons on the school playing fields ... that dog
owners brought their dogs to every day - disgusting! We also have grass
verges at the roadside outside our house and we and our young children
often have to play dodge the dog poo - which is nigh on impossible during
the dark winter months. The local "dog excercise area" is the public
playing field, laid out with football and lacrosse pitches. Why do these
owners think it's okay to invade every play area and allow their animals to
foul it?

SteveW