Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where can I buy 1 AA battery?

Jules wrote:
On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:02:23 +0000, tim.... wrote:
Anything else still take them?

I think my stud detector widget might use AAs, too (although that
might be a 9V), but it's over in a different building right now, it's
snowing outside, and I can't be bothered to go and check ;-)

Has been back in Blighty also. Last Saturday, I went over to see elderly
Pater and do shopping and whatever in N Wales.Significant picture book white
Christmas trimmings to the tops of the mountains. Photographs of snow in
County Durham in the Telegraph today and last week, programmes from Scotland
on the Beeb showing more of the same confetti on the Scottish mountains.

Bl^^dy cold here on Monday morning, must have been under minus 4C
overnight - you appreciate that's serious stuff!

Just glad that I'd topped up the motor with appropriate windscreen stuff on
Sunday after my trip!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 23:46:56 +0000, Mike Lane
wrote:

My TV remote and cable controller both use 2 AAs each; I have 5 radio
controlled wall clocks which each use one, and a bedside alarm and a
mantlepiece digital calendar/clock also with one each. My Garmin GPS uses
two, and my Canon camera four. Several digital timers, thermometers and
hygrometers use one or two each. I'm sure there are a few more around if I
think a bit... oh yes, the logitech mouse in my right hand uses two AAs as
well. The list goes on...

Yes?

That still doesn't answer the OP's question though.

It does seem a waste (environmentally if nothing else) to buy unwanted
batteries just to throw them away.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 2, 9:57*pm, geoff wrote:
In message , mogga
writes

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:12:29 -0000, "tim...."
wrote:

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! *Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

Poundshop. It'll wear out so quick you'll need the others.

Bought some POundshop C cells for a change sorter - they leaked
electrolyte all over the battery compartment

--
geoff

Alkaline or zinc carbon/chloride?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

My TV remote and cable controller both use 2 AAs each; I have 5 radio
controlled wall clocks which each use one, and a bedside alarm and a
mantlepiece digital calendar/clock also with one each. My Garmin GPS uses
two, and my Canon camera four. Several digital timers, thermometers and
hygrometers use one or two each. I'm sure there are a few more around if I
think a bit... oh yes, the logitech mouse in my right hand uses two AAs as
well. The list goes on...

Yes?

That still doesn't answer the OP's question though.

It does seem a waste (environmentally if nothing else) to buy unwanted
batteries just to

dispose of them responsibly ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Part timer writes

wrote:

[...]

Zinc/carbon IIRC

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My TV remote and cable controller both use 2 AAs each; I have 5 radio
controlled wall clocks which each use one, and a bedside alarm and a
mantlepiece digital calendar/clock also with one each. My Garmin GPS
uses two, and my Canon camera four. Several digital timers, thermometers
and hygrometers use one or two each. I'm sure there are a few more
around if I think a bit... oh yes, the logitech mouse in my right hand
uses two AAs as well. The list goes on...

Yes?

That still doesn't answer the OP's question though.

It answers one of his questions! And several people have answered the
other...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message . uk...
Graham. explained on 02/12/2009 :
Whilst agreeing with you, I have to say I am old enough to remember a time
when it was quite normal for a small retailer to split a pack.
Probably the same retailers that sold single Woodbines to school children.

So am I, but things have moved on a long way from those days. Money is plentiful and things are much cheaper. What does a four
pack of AA's cost?

Well quite.
Tim seems to be saying his wall-clock is the only device he owns
that takes AAs I seem to have dozens of them.

Did you see my post about lithium AA cells, I have been experimenting
with them as Sainsbury's are selling them for little more than branded
alkaline, and Tesco had a half price offer too that I expect they will
repeat. I imagine you could get in excess of 5 years life in a quartz clock,
I tried them in my wireless thermostat and it didn't like them because, I suspect,
of their higher than 1.5v off load voltage

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:40:58 -0000, "Tim"
wrote:

Some shops used to regularly split battery packs for you. It's a long time
since I've asked but it might be worth trying the smaller hardware stores.

I used to do that in my shop. I charged exactly a quarter of the
price of a four pack, so it didn't make me any more money than selling
a whole pack, but it did seem to generate a lot of goodwill.

I bet you tested each light-bulb in front of the customer too. My friend did
that in his shop.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 2 Dec, 11:12, "tim...." wrote:
My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

To bring this on-topic for a DIY group -
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make..._a_AA_battery/

My hall clock takes a D cell, however I have been putting AAs in it for years,
all I did was bend the -ve leaf-spring so it gripped the shorter cell.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:43:10 +0000 TheOldFellow wrote :
Can you use a re-chargable AA? If so these are worth getting,
but you will need a charger that takes singles too.

In a clock wouldn't the self discharge rate make them useless?

I put a couple of r/c clocks in my church in Twickenham and
particularly for the out-of-reach one it was really usefully that
it self adjusted when the clocks changed. I couldn't help thinking
that a larger C or D battery might have kept the clock running for
several years, not just one.

Lithium AAs are easy to get now. I recon you will get 5 years + in a R/C wall clock.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Some shops used to regularly split battery packs for you. It's a long time
since I've asked but it might be worth trying the smaller hardware stores.

I used to do that in my shop. I charged exactly a quarter of the
price of a four pack, so it didn't make me any more money than selling
a whole pack, but it did seem to generate a lot of goodwill.

I bet you tested each light-bulb in front of the customer too. My friend did
that in his shop.

Yes, guilty as charged. ;-)

It's called "customer service" and it pays dividends (in terms of
goodwill) far beyond the small amount of effort involved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Turns out Maplins also supply these rather than making the Blue Peter
version.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=37379

Probably not a great idea for most applications but should be fine for
yours.

.... except that they come in packs of 4.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:38:13 +0000, Mike Clarke

Turns out Maplins also supply these rather than making the Blue Peter
version. http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=37379

Probably not a great idea for most applications but should be fine for
yours.

... except that they come in packs of 4.

There's no law that says you have to use all four!

You could sell the other three on eBay. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 21:57:12 +0000, geoff wrote:

Poundshop. It'll wear out so quick you'll need the others.

Bought some POundshop C cells for a change sorter - they leaked
electrolyte all over the battery compartment

Got my last batch there, but my rule is to buy only branded ones. Last were
Panasonic with 5 years to go (or so the label said).
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
tim.... formulated the question :
Even if there is someone selling them as singles you are swamped with
(3000) people selling them in large multi-packs. After all, the postage
cost is going to negate any saving that I can make by buying 1 instead
of 4.

So buy four and give three away, they really are not expensive.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Whilst agreeing with you, I have to say I am old enough to remember a time
when it was quite normal for a small retailer to split a pack.

how far back do you go?

I am old enough to remember when it was normal to buy all batteries
*unwrapped* in singles. (I worked in the shop that sold them this way)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Graham. explained on 02/12/2009 :
Whilst agreeing with you, I have to say I am old enough to remember a
time
when it was quite normal for a small retailer to split a pack.
Probably the same retailers that sold single Woodbines to school
children.

So am I, but things have moved on a long way from those days. Money is
plentiful and things are much cheaper. What does a four pack of AA's cost?

In a shop, for branded long life batteries - 4 pounds (more or less).

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 01:17:43 -0000, Graham. wrote:

[...]

What is the voltage of them?

6 Energizer AA Lithium for £5.50 he

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...6ae0fb8c6593b7
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My TV remote and cable controller both use 2 AAs each; I have 5 radio
controlled wall clocks which each use one, and a bedside alarm and a
mantlepiece digital calendar/clock also with one each. My Garmin GPS uses
two, and my Canon camera four. Several digital timers, thermometers and
hygrometers use one or two each. I'm sure there are a few more around if I
think a bit... oh yes, the logitech mouse in my right hand uses two AAs as
well. The list goes on...

Yes?

That still doesn't answer the OP's question though.

It does seem a waste (environmentally if nothing else) to buy unwanted
batteries just to throw them away.

Trouble is, most clocks etc. seem to stop with voltage at about 1 - 1.2, so
rechargeable cells at 1.2V... If a clock would run for a reasonable time on
1.2V, hybrid cells would be needed to be practicable.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Graham. explained on 02/12/2009 :
Whilst agreeing with you, I have to say I am old enough to remember a
time
when it was quite normal for a small retailer to split a pack.
Probably the same retailers that sold single Woodbines to school
children.

So am I, but things have moved on a long way from those days. Money is
plentiful and things are much cheaper. What does a four pack of AA's
cost?

Well quite.
Tim seems to be saying his wall-clock is the only device he owns
that takes AAs I seem to have dozens of them.

As did I. As per my earlier post, all of the things that I used to own that
used them, have been superseded by a newer equivalent that takes a different
battery type.

I am genuinely surprised that people are buying new electronic devices with
remotes that use them as all 4 of the new audio-visual devices (different
brands) that I have bought in the last 2 years take AAAs (without me taking
any interest in this), whereas previously they all took AAs.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , tim....
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
o.uk...
tim.... formulated the question :
Even if there is someone selling them as singles you are swamped with
(3000) people selling them in large multi-packs. After all, the
postage
cost is going to negate any saving that I can make by buying 1 instead
of
4.

So buy four and give three away, they really are not expensive.

look after the pennies .....

Get a life ...

I find that insulting.

Ar you in the habit of throwing away 3% of your weekly income.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. .

wrote:

[...]

As it originally wasn't clear if the battery was flat or the clock broken I
tested the one I took out

it registered 0.7 volts (yes that surprised me as well)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 23:57:53 +0000, Clot wrote:

Jules wrote:
On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:02:23 +0000, tim.... wrote:
Anything else still take them?

I think my stud detector widget might use AAs, too (although that
might be a 9V), but it's over in a different building right now, it's
snowing outside, and I can't be bothered to go and check ;-)

Has been back in Blighty also.

That's good to hear... Winters in the UK just weren't the same as I
remember when I were a lad (seemed like snow was guaranteed every year
back then - but that tailed off to maybe once every 6 or 7 years in more
recent decades)

It's snowing quite nicely outside again here right now - I think it'll
be here to stay until next April or so now (so I'm stuck with indoor DIY
projects until then :-)

Bl^^dy cold here on Monday morning, must have been under minus 4C
overnight - you appreciate that's serious stuff!

:-) It's not so different here right now, actually - currently -7C out
(8am). It won't get seriously cold until January time.

Just glad that I'd topped up the motor with appropriate windscreen stuff
on Sunday after my trip!

Don't forget to check that the engine coolant's good, too...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 01:30:33 +0000, Graham. wrote:
To bring this on-topic for a DIY group -
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make..._a_AA_battery/

Heh - doing the opposite would be more impressive (although I do have
a graphing calculator somewhere with some trailing wires and a 9V battery
dangling from it, because it'd eat through its 2032 3V cells and I never
had spares of those lying around when I needed them)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:29:22 +0000, Bruce wrote:
I bet you tested each light-bulb in front of the customer too. My friend did
that in his shop.

Yes, guilty as charged. ;-)

It's called "customer service" and it pays dividends (in terms of
goodwill) far beyond the small amount of effort involved.

Would it still work today? I mean, I like stuff like that - but lots of
folk these days seem to expect everything to be instant, and any little
thing that takes up their time actually has a negative effect. I'm not
sure they'd comprehend that going home to find they had a dud bulb would
be far worse than the extra couple of seconds it would take to check it in
the shop...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:32:08 +0000, tim.... wrote:
I am genuinely surprised that people are buying new electronic devices with
remotes that use them as all 4 of the new audio-visual devices (different
brands) that I have bought in the last 2 years take AAAs (without me taking
any interest in this), whereas previously they all took AAs.

Thinking about remotes, there's just so many buttons on both my TV and DVD
remote (90% of which I never use) that I don't think they could have made
them physically smaller anyway - so there's no incentive to go to AAAs
just on size grounds.

In terms of availability, I still think far more stuff uses AAs than uses
AAAs, so there's not really any incentive for the manufacturers to change
on those grounds, either.

(I think the remotes for my amp and CD player that I have in storage back
in Blighty might be AAAs, though - doubtless done because then those
remotes *could* be smaller. Difficult for me to just do the 8000mi
round-trip to check, though

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 3, 2:16*pm, Jules
wrote:
On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:29:22 +0000, Bruce wrote:
I bet you tested each light-bulb in front of the customer too. My friend did
that in his shop.

Yes, guilty as charged. *;-)

It's called "customer service" and it pays dividends (in terms of
goodwill) far beyond the small amount of effort involved.

Would it still work today? I mean, I like stuff like that - but lots of
folk these days seem to expect everything to be instant, and any little
thing that takes up their time actually has a negative effect. I'm not
sure they'd comprehend that going home to find they had a dud bulb would
be far worse than the extra couple of seconds it would take to check it in
the shop...

cheers

Jules

The extra labour would mean 20p on the price, that would get rid of
most customers. Testing them is effectively admitting you get enough
duds to need to test each one, which would put off a good 50% of your
few remaining customers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 08:13:28 -0600, Jules
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 01:30:33 +0000, Graham. wrote:
To bring this on-topic for a DIY group -
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make..._a_AA_battery/

Heh - doing the opposite would be more impressive (although I do have
a graphing calculator somewhere with some trailing wires and a 9V battery
dangling from it, because it'd eat through its 2032 3V cells and I never
had spares of those lying around when I needed them)

Casio fx-7000G?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 21:57:12 +0000, geoff wrote:

Poundshop. It'll wear out so quick you'll need the others.

Bought some POundshop C cells for a change sorter - they leaked
electrolyte all over the battery compartment

Got my last batch there, but my rule is to buy only branded ones. Last were
Panasonic with 5 years to go (or so the label said).

Same here, but it's a gamble with things with a very low on/off duty of
use. I specially put Duracells in those.

FWIW My AAA alkaline Panasonic's bought in a pack of twenty from
Morrisons leaked :-(

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
[...]

You could do it ecologically, if you bought a bike :-)

Dave, exits with his coat on
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim.... wrote:
My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

Go and find an Asian run Spar type shop in a deprived area. They will be
dead keen to make a profit on anything.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:01:52 +0000, Frank Erskine wrote:
Heh - doing the opposite would be more impressive (although I do have
a graphing calculator somewhere with some trailing wires and a 9V battery
dangling from it, because it'd eat through its 2032 3V cells and I never
had spares of those lying around when I needed them)

Casio fx-7000G?

Yes! :-)

I remember I had a Mandelbrot prog for it - it'd take the best part of the
day to run it, and the original 2032's would be almost gone by the time it
was done. It was a pretty nifty wee beastie for the time, though. Hell,
it's 20 years old now...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

I have seen two for a pound in Poundland, but they don't sell them
singly.

Wait for their half price sale.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:41:14 -0000, tim.... wrote:

Trouble is, most clocks etc. seem to stop with voltage at about 1 - 1.2,
so
rechargeable cells at 1.2V... If a clock would run for a reasonable time
on
1.2V, hybrid cells would be needed to be practicable.

As it originally wasn't clear if the battery was flat or the clock broken I
tested the one I took out

it registered 0.7 volts (yes that surprised me as well)

They do vary. One clock pags out at about 1.1V but that cell will then run
another clock for 3 - 4 months.
My RF 'stat/prog. drops out at 1.4V so the 4 cells go in to a marked box
and are used for clocks.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh ****! Still, most don't go into expensive gear.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim.... expressed precisely :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Graham. explained on 02/12/2009 :
Whilst agreeing with you, I have to say I am old enough to remember a time
when it was quite normal for a small retailer to split a pack.
Probably the same retailers that sold single Woodbines to school children.

So am I, but things have moved on a long way from those days. Money is
plentiful and things are much cheaper. What does a four pack of AA's cost?

In a shop, for branded long life batteries - 4 pounds (more or less).

tim

Try a pound shop. 4x AA for £1.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim.... expressed precisely :
how far back do you go?

I am old enough to remember when it was normal to buy all batteries
*unwrapped* in singles. (I worked in the shop that sold them this way)

...and that far back as well :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Bruce formulated :
It's called "customer service" and it pays dividends (in terms of
goodwill) far beyond the small amount of effort involved.

No, that was called - preventing the customer bringing the lamp back
for a refund, because it didn't work :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Jules formulated :
Would it still work today? I mean, I like stuff like that - but lots of
folk these days seem to expect everything to be instant, and any little
thing that takes up their time actually has a negative effect. I'm not
sure they'd comprehend that going home to find they had a dud bulb would
be far worse than the extra couple of seconds it would take to check it in
the shop...

No - in those days they were packed in an open ended corrugated pack,
with the contacts exposed. The modern box would mean your opening it to
test it and re-packing it. Besides which they are so very cheap in
comparison these days and so rare to find a dud. Who cares if one in a
pack of ten happens to be a dud?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
tim.... expressed precisely :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
Graham. explained on 02/12/2009 :
Whilst agreeing with you, I have to say I am old enough to remember a
time
when it was quite normal for a small retailer to split a pack.
Probably the same retailers that sold single Woodbines to school
children.

So am I, but things have moved on a long way from those days. Money is
plentiful and things are much cheaper. What does a four pack of AA's
cost?

In a shop, for branded long life batteries - 4 pounds (more or less).

tim

Try a pound shop. 4x AA for £1.

but aren't they like the ones on my local market stall.

they have an expiry date of next year instead of 2016 that the full priced
ones have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim....
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , tim....
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. co.uk...
tim.... formulated the question :
Even if there is someone selling them as singles you are swamped with
(3000) people selling them in large multi-packs. After all, the
postage
cost is going to negate any saving that I can make by buying 1 instead
of
4.

So buy four and give three away, they really are not expensive.

look after the pennies .....

Get a life ...

I find that insulting.

Ar you in the habit of throwing away 3% of your weekly income.

You have to look at it over the life of the battery which is more like
0.01%

FFS - give me your address, I'll send you an AA battery for xmas

--
geoff