Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where can I buy 1 AA battery?

In message , tim....
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
.uk...
Graham. explained on 02/12/2009 :
Whilst agreeing with you, I have to say I am old enough to remember a
time
when it was quite normal for a small retailer to split a pack.
Probably the same retailers that sold single Woodbines to school
children.

So am I, but things have moved on a long way from those days. Money is
plentiful and things are much cheaper. What does a four pack of AA's cost?

In a shop, for branded long life batteries - 4 pounds (more or less).

CPC - on offer today, 40 for a fiver

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:59:11 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:
Rampant Rabbits

Don't they take four of them?

Leaving him with just the same quandry, but with a nice warm feeling

Is there a version that takes 4 D cells?

Three spatial dimensions, plus time?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:03:07 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It happens that Jules formulated :
Would it still work today? I mean, I like stuff like that - but lots of
folk these days seem to expect everything to be instant, and any little
thing that takes up their time actually has a negative effect. I'm not
sure they'd comprehend that going home to find they had a dud bulb would
be far worse than the extra couple of seconds it would take to check it in
the shop...

No - in those days they were packed in an open ended corrugated pack,
with the contacts exposed. The modern box would mean your opening it to
test it and re-packing it.

I didn't think the boxes were sealed - maybe they are. I'd forgotten about
those corrugated sleeves, though!

Besides which they are so very cheap in
comparison these days and so rare to find a dud. Who cares if one in a
pack of ten happens to be a dud?

Yeah, there is that. But I was also thinking more generally, and whether
most people would find someone wanting to test an item before handing it
over a good thing or not. I suspect it'd just **** a lot of people off :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

FFS - give me your address, I'll send you an AA battery for xmas

Blimey, are you Herman Goering?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Graham." saying
something like:

Whilst agreeing with you, I have to say I am old enough to remember a time
when it was quite normal for a small retailer to split a pack.

Still happens in small shops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember NT saying
something like:

The extra labour would mean 20p on the price, that would get rid of
most customers. Testing them is effectively admitting you get enough
duds to need to test each one, which would put off a good 50% of your
few remaining customers.

Utter cock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:31:21 -0600, Jules
wrote:

[...]

Well it wouldn't be easy in a supermarket, where I suspect most bulbs
are purchased - each checkout would have to have a tester, with
various sizes and types of lampholder; and all the checkout operators
would have to be 'trained' how to test blubs...
Think of the fun in a long queue...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

FFS - give me your address, I'll send you an AA battery for xmas

Blimey, are you Herman Goering?

:-)

Nah - he'd have sent Fliegerabwehrkanone.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

FFS - give me your address, I'll send you an AA battery for xmas

Blimey, are you Herman Goering?

Das wird AckAck sein

Gott in Himmel, you tricked me verdammmmt Englander [1]

[1] - or not

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember NT saying
something like:

The extra labour would mean 20p on the price, that would get rid of
most customers. Testing them is effectively admitting you get enough
duds to need to test each one, which would put off a good 50% of your
few remaining customers.

Utter cock.

How many batteries does that need then ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
Jules wrote:

Casio fx-7000G?

Yes! :-)

I remember I had a Mandelbrot prog for it - it'd take the best part of the
day to run it, and the original 2032's would be almost gone by the time it
was done. It was a pretty nifty wee beastie for the time, though. Hell,
it's 20 years old now...

Heh, I had one of those - finally died last year after a maths A level,
a Further Maths A level and then a Maths degree (followed by 14 years of
random use ).

I had a very early one that had a firmware bug that meant the 3root button
would display 2root - it would still perform a cube root, just the display
was wrong.

I remember writing to Casio to moan and got a load of freebies (including
a couple of sets of batteries )

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote on 03/12/2009 :
CPC - on offer today, 40 for a fiver

What you going to do with the other 39?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules pretended :
Yeah, there is that. But I was also thinking more generally, and whether
most people would find someone wanting to test an item before handing it
over a good thing or not. I suspect it'd just **** a lot of people off :-(

Imagines - buying a box of matches and the seller insisting on testing
every match before handing them over :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
geoff wrote on 03/12/2009 :
CPC - on offer today, 40 for a fiver

What you going to do with the other 39?

I'll cell them

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 23:05:41 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

geoff wrote on 03/12/2009 :
CPC - on offer today, 40 for a fiver

What you going to do with the other 39?

pedant
Anyway, he doesn't want a battery - he wants a cell!
/pedant

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

geoff wrote on 03/12/2009 :
CPC - on offer today, 40 for a fiver

What you going to do with the other 39?

pedant
Anyway, he doesn't want a battery - he wants a cell!
/pedant

Yeah, yeah

read my post ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim.... wrote:
Poundshop. It'll wear out so quick you'll need the others.

I can save a penny and buy Tesco economy range, but I suspect that they
will suffer the same problem.

If you can find zinc carbon cells, they last longer than alkaline under
very low current draw. And should be cheaper too.

--
*The average person falls asleep in seven minutes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote on 03/12/2009 :
CPC - on offer today, 40 for a fiver

What you going to do with the other 39?

pedant
Anyway, he doesn't want a battery - he wants a cell!
/pedant

You get one of those after the battery, don't you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 23:05:41 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

geoff wrote on 03/12/2009 :
CPC - on offer today, 40 for a fiver

What you going to do with the other 39?

Precisely - there's too much of this throw-away society. Just because
goods are so cheap nowadays doesn't mean that people should be
flagrant and toss stuff away with impunity, regardless of their
personal means, such as (lots of pretty gadgets and gizmos)...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

geoff wrote on 03/12/2009 :
CPC - on offer today, 40 for a fiver

What you going to do with the other 39?

Precisely - there's too much of this throw-away society. Just because
goods are so cheap nowadays doesn't mean that people should be
flagrant and toss stuff away with impunity, regardless of their
personal means, such as (lots of pretty gadgets and gizmos)...

I'm in the process of buying up all the AA batteries in the world

Then I can charge obscene amounts of money to all those people with
clocks powered by AA batteries and become a millionaire

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

geoff wrote:

I'm in the process of buying up all the AA batteries in the world

Then I can charge obscene amounts of money to all those people with
clocks powered by AA batteries and become a millionaire

You obviously are or were a banker.

When the price of AA batteries falls the government will have to bail
you out so that the public still has a supply of them for their clocks.

O no - you only wrote 'millionaire' - not multi-.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim.... wrote:

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

In this house, without leaving the comp and checking; the main tv
remote, a portable TV remote, four clocks, digital camera, Wii
"controls/wands", son's DVD player remote, two torches, three sets of
bike lights, two touch lights, electric toothbrush and all my radio
control gear takes AA batteries. I pretty much use rechargables (where
feasible) , but I do have too watch as the nominal voltage for dry cells
is 1.5V (although it does drop from this value very quickly)but that of
rechargables is 1.2V .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.

and how environmentally friendly is that solution?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

tim.... wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote in message
For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.

and how environmentally friendly is that solution?

tim

Beg a used AA cell that a neighbour is chucking - from some application
where a low voltage/low current cell is not satisfactory but the cell is
not dead. (We've got a little pot of such things awaiting a trip to the
HWAP.) Probably be able to run a clock for a few months. In fact, beg a
few then you won't have to ask again in a few months. :-)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim....
writes

"dennis@home" wrote in message

For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.

and how environmentally friendly is that solution?

Time will tell ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.

Why were you replying to me?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
m...
dennis@home wrote:

For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.

Why were you replying to me?

I wasn't, use something other than thunderbird. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"soup" wrote in message
m...
dennis@home wrote:

For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.

Why were you replying to me?

I wasn't, use something other than thunderbird. ;-)

From where I'm standing it looks like you were replying to him, and I'm not
using thunderbird:

Soup's article had the following in its headers:

From: soup
.... and it said:

In this house, without leaving the comp and checking; the main tv
remote, a portable TV remote, four clocks, digital camera, Wii
"controls/wands", son's DVD player remote, two torches, three sets of
bike lights, two touch lights, electric toothbrush and all my radio
control gear takes AA batteries. I pretty much use rechargables (where
feasible) , but I do have too watch as the nominal voltage for dry cells
is 1.5V (although it does drop from this value very quickly)but that of
rechargables is 1.2V .

Your article had the following in its headers:

From: "dennis@home"
.... and said:

For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike
Clarke writes
dennis@home wrote:

"soup" wrote in message
m...
dennis@home wrote:

For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.

Why were you replying to me?

I wasn't, use something other than thunderbird. ;-)

From where I'm standing it looks like you were replying to him, and I'm not
using thunderbird:

same here - dennis the menace strikes again

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"soup" wrote
dennis@home wrote:
For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.

Why were you replying to me?

I wasn't, use something other than thunderbird. ;-)

You did. Perhaps your finger slipped. I checked on OE and Pan, as well
as the original Thunderbird, all have you as replying to me.

From: soup

8

Your article had the following in its headers:

From: "dennis@home"
... and said:

For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.

A good reason not to use the headers to thread news articles then.

If I had been replying to soup I would have quoted him.

I have no intention of going back through dozens of posts that I have
already deleted from my machine just to find a set of headers belonging to
the OP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
om...
dennis@home wrote:

"soup" wrote
dennis@home wrote:
For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.
Why were you replying to me?

I wasn't, use something other than thunderbird. ;-)

You did. Perhaps your finger slipped. I checked on OE and Pan, as well
as the original Thunderbird, all have you as replying to me.

There isn't a single word of what you typed in there, why do you think I
replied to you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"soup" wrote in message
om...
dennis@home wrote:

"soup" wrote
dennis@home wrote:
For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.
Why were you replying to me?
I wasn't, use something other than thunderbird. ;-)

You did. Perhaps your finger slipped. I checked on OE and Pan, as well
as the original Thunderbird, all have you as replying to me.

There isn't a single word of what you typed in there, why do you think I
replied to you?

Dennis

You are a ****.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"soup" wrote in message
. com...
dennis@home wrote:

"soup" wrote
dennis@home wrote:
For gawds sake buy another clock and buy two cells.
Why were you replying to me?
I wasn't, use something other than thunderbird. ;-)

You did. Perhaps your finger slipped. I checked on OE and Pan, as well
as the original Thunderbird, all have you as replying to me.

There isn't a single word of what you typed in there, why do you think
I replied to you?

Because you're a clueless retard, dennis

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:03:31 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:
There isn't a single word of what you typed in there, why do you think I
replied to you?

Dennis

You are a ****.

Adam

That really needed a yours sincerely at the end. Or even an up yours
sincerely. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

There isn't a single word of what you typed in there, why do you think I
replied to you?

The wee line running from my post to your reply as shown in :-
http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup3548432714.JPG

My list of items that use AA batteries is in red your reply is in the
purple/mauve.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"crazy geoff" wrote in message

Because you're a clueless retard, dennis

You are as boring as TMH.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
m...
dennis@home wrote:

There isn't a single word of what you typed in there, why do you think I
replied to you?

The wee line running from my post to your reply as shown in :-
http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup3548432714.JPG

My list of items that use AA batteries is in red your reply is in the
purple/mauve.

Like I said, that's the problem with using the headers to track the thread.
The headers don't have any of the context in them.
Remember that usenet is plain text and shouldn't rely on the extra info that
may or may not be in the headers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Like I said, that's the problem with using the headers to track the thread.

So the entire world is wrong and you are right . Should have realised I
was talking to a genius. Shan't bother you any more sir.