Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where can I buy 1 AA battery?

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:19:05 +0000, Joseph Craine wrote:

tim.... wrote:
My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

Try ebay ?

Better still buy 8 and sell 7 on ebay!
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim.... wrote:
My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now
uses triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs
of 8) and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I
won't get through them before they die (though experience tells me
that the dates are optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw
three away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what
devices do still use these batteries?)

Some shops used to regularly split battery packs for you. It's a long time
since I've asked but it might be worth trying the smaller hardware stores.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:12:29 -0000, "tim...."
wrote:

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

Why are you even considering throwing away the ones you don't need
..Give them away or sell them to friends or neighbours who can use them
.. I have several things that still use AA batteries .I have a clock,an
alarm,I think an old camera uses them and a flash exposure meter and
I'm sure I have other things as well ( cordless 'phone for one comes
to mind).
You can still get 2 packs .This website sells them altho' I'm not
suggesting u buy them from there with the delivery costs
http://shop.eurobatteries.com/househ...page=3&sort=2a

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Joseph Craine" wrote in message
tim.... wrote:
My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now
uses triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of
8) and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates
are optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what
devices do still use these batteries?)

tim

Try ebay ?

I did.

Even if there is someone selling them as singles you are swamped with (3000)
people selling them in large multi-packs. After all, the postage cost is
going to negate any saving that I can make by buying 1 instead of 4.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates
are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

Why are you even considering throwing away the ones you don't need

I was speaking metaphorically. I will, of course, be out selling them on
the street :-)

.Give them away or sell them to friends or neighbours who can use them
. I have several things that still use AA batteries .I have a clock,an
alarm,I think an old camera uses them and a flash exposure meter and
I'm sure I have other things as well ( cordless 'phone for one comes
to mind).
You can still get 2 packs .This website sells them altho' I'm not
suggesting u buy them from there with the delivery costs
http://shop.eurobatteries.com/househ...page=3&sort=2a

but only in the super dooper expensive ones,

I can buy these in the shop at 6.99 for two as against 3.89 for 4 (or 8) of
the normal lithium ones. I don't think my clock will benefit from the extra
power offered here

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Persevere with small shops. They may break a pack. They did for me when I
wanted a "D" Cell.

you seem to imply that AA is becoming less popular. This cannot be the case/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Dec, 11:12, "tim...." wrote:
My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! *Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

To bring this on-topic for a DIY group -
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make..._a_AA_battery/

Cheers,
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:12:29 -0000
"tim...." wrote:

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

Can you use a re-chargable AA? If so these are worth getting, but you
will need a charger that takes singles too.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 2, 11:12*am, "tim...." wrote:

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

All the same devices that ever used them. What do you think has
changed?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

Poundshop. It'll wear out so quick you'll need the others.
--
http://www.Christmasfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

from what's on sale in the shops you should be correct.

But from a sample of the things in my house that need batteries, the
majority of the current generation either take 2 AAA cells or use a bespoke
rechargeable cell.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TV remote control - uses 2x AA.
Maglite 2AA torch - uses 2x AA, good torch for house or CAR.
CO detector - uses 3x AA.
Bedside clock/alarm - uses 1-2-3-4 AA.

You can often buy 8-16 at miserable places like Asda for £3 or 4 for
£3 (weird isn't it).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates
are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

Poundshop. It'll wear out so quick you'll need the others.

I can save a penny and buy Tesco economy range, but I suspect that they will
suffer the same problem.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 2 Dec, 11:12, "tim...." wrote:
My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates
are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

To bring this on-topic for a DIY group -

What's off topic about my question?

I'm walking to the store myself. I'm going to remove the old battery and
put the old one in myself, what's not DIY here?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make..._a_AA_battery/

Could be my best solution (if it's sensible, I haven't looked yet)

thanks

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"js.b1" wrote in message
TV remote control - uses 2x AA.

How long have you had this TV?

Maglite 2AA torch - uses 2x AA, good torch for house or CAR.
CO detector - uses 3x AA.

Really. I'd assume that this is similar to a smoke detector and all the
these that I have had took PP3s (the current house is "wired").

Bedside clock/alarm - uses 1-2-3-4 AA.

I want to be sure that my alarm clock wakes me up so I use an electric one.
(I long ago gave up on the battery backup idea, they went flat before they
became useful)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
My local ironmongers sells singles.

Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are
optimistic).

Keep them in the fridge.

Use this from the fridge?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_battery

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:02:23 +0000, tim.... wrote:
Anything else still take them?

Off the top of my head:

My mini-maglite does. Same with both TV remotes, the Wii remotes, the
remote for the tower fan, any number* of the kids' toys, the external
flash for my camera, the display on some of the wife's gym equipment, the
furnace thermostat, my portable shaver (not that I ever use it), the
built-in light for my pillar drill...

* never ever buy one of those laser-tag things for the kids. 4 guns, 6 AAs
in each...

I think my stud detector widget might use AAs, too (although that might
be a 9V), but it's over in a different building right now, it's snowing
outside, and I can't be bothered to go and check ;-)

I'm sure there's other stuff I haven't thought of (some stick-on closet
lights did, but they were utter crap so I fixed 'em with a big 'ammer :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Dec, 15:02, "tim...." wrote:
I don't think, I know. *AAs used to be used by remote control units. *All 5
in my house now take 2 AAA cells.

Our two less-than-a-year-old Panasonic flat-screen TVs both use
remotes which take 2 AA cells. So does an 18-month-old Sony Bravia
LCD TV. In fact, hardly anything here uses AAAs; the only thing that
comes to mind is a room thermostat (but all our UFH thermostats take
AAs).

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Dec, 15:05, "tim...." wrote:
wrote in message

On 2 Dec, 11:12, "tim...." wrote:

[...]

lol ... I was only joking about being off topic ... it's by far more
on topic than some of the discussions over the years

Turns out Maplins also supply these rather than making the Blue Peter
version. http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=37379

Probably not a great idea for most applications but should be fine for
yours.

Cheers,
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 2, 11:12*am, "tim...." wrote:
My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

Buy the wife/partner/yourself a "pocket pleaser" from Ann Summers and
she can use the others from a pack of 2 or 4.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 2, 11:12*am, "tim...." wrote:
My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! *Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

If you seal them up airtight and dump them in the bottom of the
freezer, the roughly 40C drop in temp slows chemical reactions down by
a factor of 2^4 = 16, so they should last a lifetime. Must be properly
sealed though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Dec 2, 11:12 am, "tim...." wrote:
[...]

Items such as remote controls have very little current drain so AAAs are
fine for them. Anything with a higher demand - eg. Toys with motors are more
likely to need AAs to give a reasonable battery life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim.... formulated the question :
Even if there is someone selling them as singles you are swamped with (3000)
people selling them in large multi-packs. After all, the postage cost is
going to negate any saving that I can make by buying 1 instead of 4.

So buy four and give three away, they really are not expensive.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 12:43:10 +0000, TheOldFellow wrote:

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:12:29 -0000
"tim...." wrote:

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now
uses triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of
8) and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't
get through them before they die (though experience tells me that the
dates are optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw
three away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what
devices do still use these batteries?)

tim

Can you use a re-chargable AA? If so these are worth getting, but you
will need a charger that takes singles too.

R.

Hellish expensive, but pretty - and no charger needed!
2 per pack.
http://www.firebox.com/product/1625/...teries?via=ser

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
tim.... formulated the question :
Even if there is someone selling them as singles you are swamped with
(3000) people selling them in large multi-packs. After all, the postage
cost is going to negate any saving that I can make by buying 1 instead of
4.

So buy four and give three away, they really are not expensive.

look after the pennies .....

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:12:29 +0000, tim.... wrote:

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now
uses triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of
8) and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates
are optimistic).

Small local shop or the market would probably sell you one (or two).

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what
devices do still use these batteries?)

We get through quite a few.

AA...five clocks, various toys, TV remote, Wii remotes (2), portable CD
player (!), alarm clock...

AAA...clocks, Palm, other remotes, MP3 players, alarm clock...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:12:29 +0000, tim.... wrote:

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now
uses triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

Easily solved. Buy another 3 clocks. :-)

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Filtering everything posted from googlegroups to kill spam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 2, 3:11*pm, "tim...." wrote:
How long have you had this TV?

TV is a Panasonic S-IPS LCD, 6 months, 2x AA.
DVD is Panasonic Recorder, 4 months, 2x AA.

I wanted Humax but others wanted DVD/CD.

CO detector - uses 3x AA.

Really. *I'd assume that this is similar to a smoke detector and all the
these that I have had took PP3s (the current house is "wired").

Kidde and I think ?FirstAlert? CO use 3x AA.
Smoke alarms of battery & mains w/ backup use 9V PP3.

I want to be sure that my alarm clock wakes me up so I use an electric one.
(I long ago gave up on the battery backup idea, they went flat before they
became useful)

Indeed! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim....
writes
My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

I've got remotes, a camera, sound recorder, clock all of which I can see
without moving from this seat

Loads of things really

buy a pack of 4 give the rest away

Honestly, don't you think that life's to short to worry about such
things

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:43:10 +0000 TheOldFellow wrote :
Can you use a re-chargable AA? If so these are worth getting,
but you will need a charger that takes singles too.

In a clock wouldn't the self discharge rate make them useless?

I put a couple of r/c clocks in my church in Twickenham and
particularly for the out-of-reach one it was really usefully that
it self adjusted when the clocks changed. I couldn't help thinking
that a larger C or D battery might have kept the clock running for
several years, not just one.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/09 15:02, tim.... wrote:

Anything else still take them?

Digital camera
Multiple remote controls
Wireless mice
Mini maglite
Bathroom scales
Bike lights

but then I do go out of my way to buy equipment that does take AA (other
standard rechargeables) instead of propriety batteries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mogga
writes
wrote:

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

All I can find is packs of 4 (actually as they are a BOGOF, in packs of 8)
and all I can use is one! Even with a shelf date of 2016 I won't get
through them before they die (though experience tells me that the dates are
optimistic).

How environmentally friendly is it to insist that I buy 4 to throw three
away?

(Just out of interest, as there are packs of 20/40 available, what devices
do still use these batteries?)

tim

Poundshop. It'll wear out so quick you'll need the others.

Bought some POundshop C cells for a change sorter - they leaked
electrolyte all over the battery compartment

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message . uk...
tim.... formulated the question :
Even if there is someone selling them as singles you are swamped with (3000) people selling them in large multi-packs. After
all, the postage cost is going to negate any saving that I can make by buying 1 instead of 4.

So buy four and give three away, they really are not expensive.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Whilst agreeing with you, I have to say I am old enough to remember a time
when it was quite normal for a small retailer to split a pack.
Probably the same retailers that sold single Woodbines to school children.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. explained on 02/12/2009 :
Whilst agreeing with you, I have to say I am old enough to remember a time
when it was quite normal for a small retailer to split a pack.
Probably the same retailers that sold single Woodbines to school children.

So am I, but things have moved on a long way from those days. Money is
plentiful and things are much cheaper. What does a four pack of AA's
cost?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My radio controlled clock has stopped working.

It takes a single AA battery, all the ususal suspects in my house now uses
triple As, so where can I buy a single AA battery?

I have seen two for a pound in Poundland, but they don't sell them
singly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:40:58 -0000, "Tim"
wrote:

Some shops used to regularly split battery packs for you. It's a long time
since I've asked but it might be worth trying the smaller hardware stores.

I used to do that in my shop. I charged exactly a quarter of the
price of a four pack, so it didn't make me any more money than selling
a whole pack, but it did seem to generate a lot of goodwill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim....
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
.uk...
tim.... formulated the question :
Even if there is someone selling them as singles you are swamped with
(3000) people selling them in large multi-packs. After all, the postage
cost is going to negate any saving that I can make by buying 1 instead of
4.

So buy four and give three away, they really are not expensive.

look after the pennies .....

Get a life ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote on Dec 2, 2009:

[...]

My TV remote and cable controller both use 2 AAs each; I have 5 radio
controlled wall clocks which each use one, and a bedside alarm and a
mantlepiece digital calendar/clock also with one each. My Garmin GPS uses
two, and my Canon camera four. Several digital timers, thermometers and
hygrometers use one or two each. I'm sure there are a few more around if I
think a bit... oh yes, the logitech mouse in my right hand uses two AAs as
well. The list goes on...

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire