raden

In message s.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:11:21 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:56:24 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
PC Paul wrote:
*Or* it does 0-60 in under 3s.. in which case he should *still*

leave it
at home.... you need to think quickly if you have that much power

under
your foot...

I don't think there's any road car that can accelerate to 60 from rest

in
the same time as it can brake to a stop.

It depends on how well the brakes have been oiled

Oh don't say that or he'll be out there doing it .. and do you really
want his death on yo .. oh .. shhhhhhh ;-)

I think I'm reaching the point where I might even show him where the
brakes are

... and buy the oil

Go for it Geoff,

1) You know it makes sense
2) You should get a 'Community Action' award?

Maxie, gets lots of awards for:

1. Morris dancing
2. Best polka-dot designs.

The Community did action against Maxie because of his constant swearing.

How about **** off dIMM, you total retard

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Nope. Wrong again. The power splitter apportions the power from the
petrol and electric motors to give "combined" power and torque from the
two,

The electric motor is directly connected to the rear wheels via the
differential. It is also directly connected to the ring gear of the
planetary set. The engine is directly connected to the planetary
carrier, the generator to the sun gear.

So, as you claim, this is a fixed gear box, what prevents the electric
motor turning the engine when it's off?

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message s.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

.. .

PC Paul wrote:
[...]

Maxie!!!

...Maxie's had nice good swear
...the sort of language we don't like to hear.
...a courteous man? Maxie ain't
...he causes old ladies to drop and faint

...walk around Watford if you dare
...you will hear expletives through the air
...it's Maxie screaming out loud
...the sort of language of which he's proud
...with effs and C's and B's and T's
...directing words at old ladies

...the Plod viewed Maxie so adverse
...as he shouted out a curse
...they took this foul mouthed fatty man
...and slapped him right inside the can

...through the keyhole Maxie directed
...foul mouthed words towards the detective
...the Plod had enough of this fat slob
...and rammed a gag inside his gob

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
PC Paul wrote:
Nonsense. The wheel speed can vary independently of the engine or
motor speed. Therefore the ratio varies.

With you so far

Not quite. The electric motor is directly connected to the rear wheels via
the diff. And to the ring gear of the gearbox.

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message s.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

.. .

PC Paul wrote:
[...]

DIMM in thought word and deed

--
geoff

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Nope. Wrong again. The power splitter apportions the power from the
petrol and electric motors to give "combined" power and torque from the
two,

The electric motor is directly connected to the rear wheels via the
differential. It is also directly connected to the ring gear of the
planetary set. The engine is directly connected to the planetary
carrier, the generator to the sun gear.

So, as you claim, this is a fixed gear box

Once again not agearbox, not box of gear stepping up and down ratios, just a
fixed, meshed, reduction gear.

what prevents the electric
motor turning the engine when it's off?

The electric motor always has power to it, either via the genny (via the
petrol motor) or) or the battery, or both. When the engine is off? When
the electric motor is turning and the petrol motor is off the electric motor
is off the batteries. AS the genny will put no load on the power splitter
the engine will be decoupled. Bring in load from the genny (power from the
petrol motor to the electric motor) an the power splitter locks into the
motor and spins it. See the graphic that Paul posted and this little
drawing:
http://www.toyota.co.za/technology/h...gy_description
..aspx?id=477&dontslide=1

Relate one to the other. The Honda has a full belt and pullied CVT, which
is far more complex that the Toyota. the Toyota is miles ahead of all
others by removing an in-line, in series, stepped or bellted ratioed
gearbox. That is why all are adopting the Toyota setup. It saves space and
weight. It is even simpler than a normal ICE/auto tranny setup. They are
joy to drive, and one of the reasons I chose it. Anyone who gets rid of
gearboxes have my vote.

Put in a large set of high efficiency batteries, and the Toyota has spare
capacity in the battery bay, and this beauty will take off big time.
Batteries will drop in price as production increases. All you need do is add
to, or replace, the batteries, then the mpg rises to unbelievable figurers
when a charging plug is also added.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" got it wrong in message
In article ,
PC Paul wrote:
Nonsense. The wheel speed can vary independently of the engine or
motor speed. Therefore the ratio varies.

With you so far

Not quite. The electric motor is directly
connected to the rear wheels via
the diff.

Ecouraging! Let's see what is next.....

And to the ring gear of the gearbox.

....Ohhhhhhhhh. What a let down!!!! There is no box of gears. Well, he
will hav eto get back to the clinic and have his bib cleaned.

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message s.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

.. .

PC Paul wrote:
[...]

Maxie, Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress, liked that?

Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

huge snip

based on the Toyota gearboxless transmission

Yet another classic quote for the archive from the alleged owner of a
DB6

6 half inch BSP nipples and a dozen TRV's, no rush you can finish
reading those leaflets
Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

The wheel speed is fixed to the power, which is not just from an engine.

Ooh another one.

With power measured in kW and speed in metres/second (or revs per
minute of the wheel) ????

Drivel, a challenge seeing as you still can't recall the name of your
DB6's engine builder, this time prove in less than 10 billion words
your statement above. Please crosspost your dissertation to
sci.physics as this work is eagerly awaited by the scientific world.

Newton just turned in his grave (at one rev per minute or was it one
kW per furlong?)

raden

In message , Matt
writes
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

huge snip

based on the Toyota gearboxless transmission

Yet another classic quote for the archive from the alleged owner of a
DB6

As I said, we need a special dIMM section for the FAQs

6 half inch BSP nipples and a dozen TRV's, no rush you can finish
reading those leaflets

--
geoff
Doctor Drivel

"Matt" stupidly wrote in message
"Doctor Drivel" brilliantly wrote:

huge snip

based on the Toyota gearboxless transmission

Yet another classic quote

Thank you

snip garbage

Doctor Drivel

"Matt" consulted with Mr Cranium wrote in
message ...
"Doctor Drivel" brilliantly wrote:

The wheel speed is fixed to the power, which is not just from an engine.

Ooh another one.

That is good. Now what is the fool on about.....

With power measured in kW
and speed in metres/second (or revs per
minute of the wheel) ????

What is he babbling about?....

snip babble

PC Paul

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Matt" consulted with Mr Cranium wrote
in message ...
"Doctor Drivel" brilliantly wrote:

The wheel speed is fixed to the power, which is not just from an
engine.

Ooh another one.

That is good. Now what is the fool on about.....

Funny that's what I thought when I read your post too... sometimes you
almost talk sense, but mostly Dr Drivel fits perfectly.

With power measured in kW
and speed in metres/second (or revs per
minute of the wheel) ????

What is he babbling about?....

snip babble

Doctor Drivel

"PC Paul" drunkenly wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Matt" consulted with Mr Cranium wrote
in message ...
"Doctor Drivel" brilliantly wrote:

The wheel speed is fixed to the power, which is not just from an
engine.

Ooh another one.

That is good. Now what is the fool on about.....

Funny that's what I thought when I read your post too... sometimes you
almost talk sense,

Always talk sense

snip babble

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
news
In message , Matt
writes
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

huge snip

based on the Toyota gearboxless transmission

Yet another classic quote for the archive from the alleged owner of a
DB6

As I said, we need a special dIMM section for the FAQs

Maxie, what questions will there be on Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress?

Doctor Drivel

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"raden" wrote in message
news

As I said, we need a special dIMM section for the FAQs

Maxie, what questions will there be on Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress?

Maxie we need one for you. Many questions that need answering

1. Why is Maxie up a tree in a frock?
2. How big is Maxie's motorbike?
3. Why does Maxie do Morris dancing?
4. How much money does Maxie make on a beach?
5. How long is the polka dot ballgown?
6. How much booze does Maxie drink in a week?
7. Does Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress, work in Maxie's enchanted
workshop?
8. Why does Maxie swear a lot?
9. What does Maxie weigh?
10. etc?
11. etc?

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" made things up in message
In article ,
Capitol wrote:
And, it only costs twice as much as equivalent small cars in
depreciation and insurance--group 8 compared to group 4. Interesting to
see the fleet rental rates for the new CVT Prius are now exceeding those
of many X type Jags! Poor residuals seem to be indicated. Presumably,
they had to go to CVT as the old gearbox had problems we weren't told
about! Like my friends Lexus which jumped off the road intermittently,
and was repurchased by Toyota IIUC. I wonder what the chances are of
getting hold of a new gearbox in six years time?

They need the CVT when in petrol mode because of the 'unusual' torque
characteristics of the engine.

You really haven't a clue. Petrol mode? The electric motor is Always
turning. It is sad to read. He makes all this up.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" stupidly wrote in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Wrong again. Autocars is third rate magi that said the Prius did 21mpg.
Yes, that is what they said. The lunatic then believed them.

You can't even get that right. 23 mpg overall, including performance
testing. And that's a disgrace for such a slow car.

23mpg, when most are way into the 50s mpg. And he believes them. At 10
secs to 60 it is NOT slow. Zips along, and not CVT or gears.

Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

A little bit of easily obtainable research will show that even a modest
town car will approach or even exceed 1G when braking from 30 mph if
required to do so, but even the most powerful can't approach this in
acceleration. So to provide motor/generators for each wheel which could
provide this sort of retardation would be neither practical or cost
effective.

Not only that, even if you have a 30kW motor,

The Prius has a 70hp petrol motor and a 70hp electric motor.

snip the reat

Capitol

Matt wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

huge snip

based on the Toyota gearboxless transmission

Yet another classic quote for the archive from the alleged owner of a
DB6

6 half inch BSP nipples and a dozen TRV's, no rush you can finish
reading those leaflets

Perhaps he'd be better off reading this thread!!

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef64fbc/0

Regards
Capitol
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The Community did action against Maxie because of his constant
swearing.

How about **** off dIMM, you total retard

Maxie!!!

..Maxie's had nice good swear

[snip waste of electrons]

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The electric motor always has power to it, either via the genny (via the
petrol motor) or) or the battery, or both. When the engine is off?
When the electric motor is turning and the petrol motor is off the
electric motor is off the batteries. AS the genny will put no load on
the power splitter the engine will be decoupled. Bring in load from the
genny (power from the petrol motor to the electric motor) an the power
splitter locks into the motor and spins it. See the graphic that Paul
posted and this little drawing:

So the petrol engine starts the genny with a bang? as it would if it is a
fixed gear...

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"raden" wrote in message
news

As I said, we need a special dIMM section for the FAQs

Maxie, what questions will there be on Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress?

Maxie we need one for you. Many questions that need answering

1. Why is Maxie up a tree in a frock?
2. How big is Maxie's motorbike?
3. Why does Maxie do Morris dancing?
4. How much money does Maxie make on a beach?
5. How long is the polka dot ballgown?
6. How much booze does Maxie drink in a week?
7. Does Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress, work in Maxie's enchanted
workshop?
8. Why does Maxie swear a lot?
9. What does Maxie weigh?
10. etc?
11. etc?

You do grab at every straw you can, however tenuous, don't you

making yourself look even more stupid

If you kept your mouth shut, people wouldn't know what a ****** you are,
would they ?

--
geoff
John Rumm

Doctor Drivel wrote:

The Prius has a 70hp petrol motor and a 70hp electric motor.

So 1.3Ah best case with 100% recovery of regen energy then...
(i.e. less than the energy stored in a AA battery)

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Wrong again. Autocars is third rate magi that said the Prius did 21mpg.
Yes, that is what they said. The lunatic then believed them.

You can't even get that right. 23 mpg overall, including performance
testing. And that's a disgrace for such a slow car.

23mpg, when most are way into the 50s mpg. And he believes them. At 10
secs to 60 it is NOT slow. Zips along, and not CVT or gears.

So please explain to me the following taken from the FAQs on the
Toyota web site:

9. Is Prius available with a manual transmission?

No. Prius' Electronically Controlled Continuously Variable
Transmission (ECVT) comes standard and in fact, is an integral
component to the amazing performance of Hybrid Synergy Drive.® It is
so important that we often refer to it with a new name: the Power
Split Device.

Glossary
=========

Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)

CVT is a type of transmission with an infinite number of gear ratios
that are always changing depending upon the relative speed of the
vehicle and the engine rpm. There are several types of CVTs. Hybrid
Synergy Drive® uses an electronically controlled CVT (ECVT) which
integrates a planetary gear set into the drivetrain.

The ECVT allows the engine and motors to operate at their most
efficient points regardless of the vehicle's speed. This provides
higher fuel economy and a very smooth acceleration experience, as
there is no "shift shock" associated with conventional transmissions.
Further, the transmission requires no hydraulics or clutches (reducing
maintenance requirements), and is such a vital component to Hybrid
Synergy Drive’s amazing performance that it is often referred to by
its new name: Power Split Device.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:46:04 +0100, Capitol
wrote:

Matt wrote:
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

huge snip

based on the Toyota gearboxless transmission

Yet another classic quote for the archive from the alleged owner of a
DB6

6 half inch BSP nipples and a dozen TRV's, no rush you can finish
reading those leaflets

Perhaps he'd be better off reading this thread!!

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef64fbc/0

Regards
Capitol

So it runs Windows 95 then? Oh dear......

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

The Prius has a 70hp petrol motor and a 70hp electric motor.

So 1.3Ah best case with 100% recovery of regen energy then...
(i.e. less than the energy stored in a AA battery)

If you say so.

Doctor Drivel

news

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Wrong again. Autocars is third rate magi that said the Prius did

21mpg.
Yes, that is what they said. The lunatic then believed them.

You can't even get that right. 23 mpg overall, including performance
testing. And that's a disgrace for such a slow car.

23mpg, when most are way into the 50s mpg. And he believes them. At 10
secs to 60 it is NOT slow. Zips along, and not CVT or gears.

So please explain to me the following taken from the FAQs on the
Toyota web site:

9. Is Prius available with a manual transmission?

No. Prius' Electronically Controlled Continuously Variable
Transmission (ECVT)

Marketing hype. Makes people think they have something which isn't actually
there, as the Prius has no gearbox. It has a power splitter. There is no
raising or lowering of ratios as an in-line, in "series" CVT does; input
shaft - raise or lower ratio - output shaft. If the power/torque is
correctly delivered to the wheels an in-line gearbox/CVT is not required;
EVs do not have gearboxes/CVTs, as an electric motor delivers the required
power/torque at the wheels.

The splitter combines the power of two "parallel" power sources, petrol &
electric motor, and sends it to the wheels. The electric motor is
permanently meshed into the wheels with no raising or lowering of ratios.
No raising or lowering ratio CVT.

The ECVT appears to refer to the power splitter - a more catchy acronym for
the ignorant. To me saying the thing has no gearbox is great selling point,
to the ignorant the more the better, the more they think they are getting
for their money,

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
They need the CVT when in petrol mode because of the 'unusual' torque
characteristics of the engine.

You really haven't a clue. Petrol mode? The electric motor is Always
turning.

Of course it is. But once not running on batteries it's effectively
parasitical, as the petrol engine is supplying all of the power. Which is
why it needs a CVT transmission.

Of course on your planet the electricity to drive the motor always comes
out of thin air.

Booked those night class physics lessons yet?

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
23mpg, when most are way into the 50s mpg. And he believes them. At 10
secs to 60 it is NOT slow. Zips along, and not CVT or gears.

You can't even get that right. 12 seconds 0-60. Worse than a City Rover.
Which is a truly dreadful car.

It's the slowest car for the money made. But what do you expect with less
power than a Mini Cooper had 40 years ago?

--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The Prius has a 70hp petrol motor and a 70hp electric motor.

So with 140 hp, despite being light and with a good CD, it can only manage
0-60 in 12 seconds and 100 mph?

Have you booked those night school classes in physics yet?

And see if they do one in logic, too.

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
The ECVT
it is often referred to by
its new name: Power Split Device.

That says it all. They have put a fancy acronym to the power splitter. The
power splitter does not, input - raise or lower ratios - output; it take
two parallel power sources and combines them into one sending the combined
power to the wheels.

The only thing that is Continually Variable is the ratio of the two power
inputs, The management system decides what level of electric to petrol
motor power to combine to output to the wheels. That is "very", "very",
different to a stepless CVT that are quite common in other conventional
cars.

Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"raden" wrote in message
news

[...]

Maxie, your outburst raises even more questions for the FAQ.

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
The Community did action against Maxie because of his constant
swearing.

How about **** off dIMM, you total retard

Maxie!!!

..Maxie's had nice good swear

[snip waste of electrons]

Maxie, this man is trying to overtake you as the NGs chief swearer. Some
people have no class at all.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
The ECVT allows the engine and motors to operate at their most
efficient points regardless of the vehicle's speed. This provides
higher fuel economy and a very smooth acceleration experience, as
there is no "shift shock" associated with conventional transmissions.
Further, the transmission requires no hydraulics or clutches (reducing
maintenance requirements), and is such a vital component to Hybrid
Synergy Drive’s amazing performance that it is often referred to by
its new name: Power Split Device.

You're wasting your time, Andy, it's beyond his comprehension.

The electric motor is directly coupled to the rear wheels and the ring
gear. The generator to the sun gear, and the engine to the planet carrier.
If the epicyclic box was a fixed ratio, the engine would be driven round
by the electric motor even when not in use.

I blame the lack of Meccano sets. I made an epicyclic gearbox with one
when about 10. They're clever things. But Toyota didn't invent them or
this application.

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Doctor Drivel wrote:
The Community did action against Maxie because of his constant
swearing.

How about **** off dIMM, you total retard

Maxie!!!

..Maxie's had nice good swear

[snip waste of electrons]

Maxie, this man is trying to overtake you as the NGs chief swearer. Some
people have no class at all.

Do I care ?

Your position as tosser in chief is, however, unassailable

so you're safe

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The only thing that is Continually Variable is the ratio of the two power
inputs, The management system decides what level of electric to petrol
motor power to combine to output to the wheels.

Explain how it varies the relative powers of engine and motor to the
wheels while maintaining a constant ratio between each and all of them.

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

Doctor Drivel wrote:
The Prius has a 70hp petrol motor and a 70hp electric motor.

So with 140 hp, despite being light and with a good CD, it can only manage
0-60 in 12 seconds and 100 mph?

Have you booked those night school classes in physics yet?

Too much knowledge is a dangerous thing

And see if they do one in logic, too.

Don't even go there

--
geoff
John Rumm

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

The Prius has a 70hp petrol motor and a 70hp electric motor.

So with 140 hp, despite being light and with a good CD, it can only manage
0-60 in 12 seconds and 100 mph?

Think they calim 122bhp now... but its only 78 of your real bhp though -
since the engine is the only source of power ultimately. The claimed
output can only be sustained until the batteries are low on juice. An
enthusiastic drive round some B roads ought to see to that ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.