Pete C

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:57:52 +0100, Capitol
wrote:

Toyota have just crushed all their RAV4 EVs which they sold in
California, claiming that they were only prototype and would not meet
product liability claims! About 1000 AIUI.

Regards
Capitol

Eh? Looks like Toyota have agreed not to dispose of them:

http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?sect...ue&newsid=8897

BTW read the first reader comment at the bottom of the page.

cheers,
Pete.
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

Toyota have just crushed all their RAV4 EVs which they sold in
California, claiming that they were only prototype and would not meet
product liability claims! About 1000 AIUI.

Regards
Capitol

Eh? Looks like Toyota have agreed not to dispose of them:

http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?sect...ue&newsid=8897

Yes, Tom Hanks the proud owner. Hybrids and EVs have image.

BTW read the first reader comment at the bottom of the page.

Yep. Tow a petrol motor to charge the batteries as you go along the
motorway. Novel idea; I have heard that before. A steam cell, the size of
an upright PC taking up little space, could be fitted to the car. A smaller
version could be developed just for charging. Same with a very small
Stirling engines too, just for charging.

Now the electric drive motors are small and cheap enough, and batteries have
the range we could only dream about 3 to 5 years ago, there is no need to
have an IC engine attached to the wheels in any way. A small high
efficient, external combustion Steam Cell or Stirling engines can then be
intermittently used for on-board charging when no grid connection is
available.
http://www.enginion.com/en/web/steamcell/Start_2.htm

This is with existing proven technology. As more efficient batteries come
on line, the EV will certainly be with us big time, and at last the end of
the awful 4-stoke IC engine. The problem is getting the designs out and
manufactured in a cheap mass way, and also getting the battery production to
full mass auto methods.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:46:58 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Toyota have just crushed all their RAV4 EVs which they sold in
California, claiming that they were only prototype and would not meet
product liability claims! About 1000 AIUI.

Regards
Capitol

Eh? Looks like Toyota have agreed not to dispose of them:

http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?sect...ue&newsid=8897

Yes, Tom Hanks the proud owner. Hybrids and EVs have image.

Forrest Gump?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
T i m

wrote:

Yep. Tow a petrol motor to charge the batteries as you go along the
motorway.

Quote from Toyota crushing link :

"The trailer would also improve the aerodynamics of the car creating
an optimum situation as this trailer would be used most of the times
on highway journeys alone. A truely win-win solution. "

And why I often tow a trailer with my diesel Rover as it's obvious
*towing* will improve the overall aerodynamics of any vehicle!

But, if Toyota say so it must be true? Maybe Toshiba make the trailers
for them?

All the best ..

T i m

Doctor Drivel

news
wrote:

Yep. Tow a petrol motor to charge the batteries as you go along the
motorway.

Quote from Toyota crushing link :

"The trailer would also improve the aerodynamics of the car creating
an optimum situation as this trailer would be used most of the times
on highway journeys alone. A truely win-win solution. "

And why I often tow a trailer with my diesel Rover as it's obvious
*towing* will improve the overall aerodynamics of any vehicle!

It was clear that the writer was saying with it the on-board IC engine the
car can be lighter and more aerodynamic. For most of its normal use this
would be the case. then only towing a trailer to charge on motorways.

You could have a slide in charging IC engine. That is one person view. I
personally think an on-board small Steam Cell or Stirling charger is the
way.

The Steam Cell is marketed at large buses and the likes, to run all the
ancillaries: battery charging, a/c, power steering, heating, etc. All these
combined can use 25% of the engines power, which is around 25-30% efficient
.. As the Steam cell is about 60% efficient, all these points can be run
from the Steam Cell raising overall efficiency, and it runs independently
from the main engine. The bus could be stopped, with the efficient clean
running Steam Cell running the a/c and charges the batteries too. It could
run ay any time to ensure the batteries are full topped up. It could
preheat the engine too, to ensure a warm start every time. The main engine
would have no alternator, power steering pumps, just a bare engine. The
engine could be even lighter by being air cooled. No water heay jacket is
required for heat as the Steam cell does that.

But, if Toyota say so it must be true?

Toyota never said it you fool.

T i m

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:04:24 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

But, if Toyota say so it must be true?

Toyota never said it you fool.

B.A. Baracus .. is that you?

All the best ..

H.M. Murdock
T i m

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:14:09 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

The prices will drop as mass production gets under way, and most people in
few years will be going for hybrids as all makers flood them onto the
market.

So, are Toyota making a profit on the Prius yet?

T i m
T i m

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:04:24 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

news
wrote:

Yep. Tow a petrol motor to charge the batteries as you go along the
motorway.

Quote from Toyota crushing link :

"The trailer would also improve the aerodynamics of the car creating
an optimum situation as this trailer would be used most of the times
on highway journeys alone. A truely win-win solution. "

And why I often tow a trailer with my diesel Rover as it's obvious
*towing* will improve the overall aerodynamics of any vehicle!

It was clear

snip relentless hypothetical drivel

Quick google search to see what Prius towing limits were and found

Q)
Hi,

Can you tow with a Prius?

Is it any good?
Trailer Limits?

A)
page 235 of the 2004 Prius Owner's Manual:
quote
Toyota does not recommend towing a
trailer with your Toyota. It is not designed
for trailer towing.
/quote

Hmm, apart from tractors most vehicles aren't *designed*[1] for towing
but most seem to cope (some better than others).

But yours is a 2005 Prius isn't it so under towing limits for *yours*
it probaby says 'unlimited'?

T i m

[1] Some vehicles provide towing facilities from the factory but
probably accommodate towing rather than were designed to do it.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The velocity ratio between wheels
and engine however is continously
variable. As is the torque. So that
constitues a CV gearing between
wheels and engine. Simple.

Much wrongness again. The petrol motor is one of two motors that
combine as "one entity" to give the power/torque characteristics of one
electric motor. There is no CVT/gearbox between only one of the motors
and the wheels, as the two motors are as one.

So the petrol engine always runs at the same speed as the electric one?
If not, explain how the difference occurs.

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
PC Paul

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"PC Paul" wrote in message
.uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
PC Paul wrote:
Point of Order.. I was quite careful to point out that they were
random figures pulled off the net...

Oh, everyone understood that but Evil. Quote any figures at him and
they're gospel if they agree with his warped views or rubbish when
they don't.

They were relevant and true figures that prove the Prius ****es over
all other cars.

Point taken ;-)

Of course.

Not *your* point ...

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
It is an exceedingly clever system, but my personal opinion is that it
is too complex electronically to be long term viable.

Do you think the electronics will break down? Well it is a management
system, and all cars have them.

Err, which other cars have ultra high current/voltage management systems?
Engine ECUs on a conventional car run on a mixture of 5 and 12 volt rails,
using common and proved components.

Most hybrid cars by all makers are to have the Toyota system.

'Are to have'. You've been at your crystal ball again.

Water cooled 500V electric motors with 50KW inverters driving them
does not sound economically repairable by my local garage!

The whole drivetrain, except the petrol motor is guaranteed 8 years.
They would have an exchange system for such items.

Could you please state a UK website to back up this claim? I can't find
warranty details on the Toyota GB site, and I've read 5 years. What the US
warranty may be is neither here nor there.

Toyota have just crushed all their RAV4 EVs which they sold in
California, claiming that they were only prototype and would not meet
product liability claims! About 1000 AIUI.

As have all makers in the US, despite protests. Mitsubishi hare going
EV in a big way in about 4 years, using small wheel mounted motors.

Only time will tell.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Not borne out by the abysmal sales in the UK.

A waiting list for it.

Artificial as they're sold at a loss. If they were in demand in the UK,
their secondhand price would be high. But it's average to poor.

It's simply too expensive

Cheap for what it is and payback is quick.

Anything can be described as cheap for what it is.

and too slow for general use.

Outperforms BMW 5 series in acceleration.

More drivel from drivel. Even the smallest slowest BMW leaves it for dead.

Most paying 20,000 quid for a car

It is way under 20K, with a 1K grant as well.

So you want a government subsidy as well as one from the maker? Isn't it
about time you paid the full price if it's so wonderful and cheap to run?

want performance and style,

And they have it in spades. All the Hollywood glamour people have the
Prius.

And they have style?

Keep reading Hello for your figures on the Prius.

--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Owain

T i m wrote:
page 235 of the 2004 Prius Owner's Manual:
quote
Toyota does not recommend towing a
trailer with your Toyota. It is not designed
for trailer towing.
/quote

unquote Toyota does not recommend fornicating on the back seat of your
Toyota. It is not designed for fornicating. /unquote

Owain

T i m

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:18:20 +0100, Owain
wrote:

T i m wrote:
page 235 of the 2004 Prius Owner's Manual:
quote
Toyota does not recommend towing a
trailer with your Toyota. It is not designed
for trailer towing.
/quote

unquote Toyota does not recommend fornicating on the back seat of your
Toyota. It is not designed for fornicating. /unquote

Owain

lol .. like that would bother Drivel ;-)

T i m
Capitol

wrote:

Toyota have just crushed all their RAV4 EVs which they sold in
California, claiming that they were only prototype and would not meet
product liability claims! About 1000 AIUI.

Regards
Capitol

Eh? Looks like Toyota have agreed not to dispose of them:

http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?sect...ue&newsid=8897

BTW read the first reader comment at the bottom of the page.

Well spotted

Regards
Capitol

Capitol

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Yep. Tow a petrol motor to charge the batteries as you go along the
motorway. Novel idea; I have heard that before. A steam cell, the size of
an upright PC taking up little space, could be fitted to the car.

Some drivel snipped.

Oh ***t. twin combi's again!!

Regards
Capitol
Doctor Drivel

"PC Paul" wrote in message
k...
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"PC Paul" wrote in message
.uk...
PC Paul wrote:
Point of Order.. I was quite careful to point out that they were
random figures pulled off the net...

Oh, everyone understood that but Evil. Quote any figures at him and
they're gospel if they agree with his warped views or rubbish when
they don't.

They were relevant and true figures that prove the Prius ****es over
all other cars.

Point taken ;-)

Of course.

Not *your* point ...

What point might that be weido?

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:04:24 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

news
wrote:

Yep. Tow a petrol motor to charge the batteries as you go along the
motorway.

Quote from Toyota crushing link :

"The trailer would also improve the aerodynamics of the car creating
an optimum situation as this trailer would be used most of the times
on highway journeys alone. A truely win-win solution. "

And why I often tow a trailer with my diesel Rover as it's obvious
*towing* will improve the overall aerodynamics of any vehicle!

It was clear

snip relentless hypothetical drivel

Quick google search to see what Prius towing limits were and found

snip garbage out PIcky trailer towing

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

The prices will drop as mass production gets under way, and most people

in
few years will be going for hybrids as all makers flood them onto the
market.

So, are Toyota making a profit on the Prius yet?

That statement has no relation top the one above it. You are a scatter
brain.

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

But, if Toyota say so it must be true?

Toyota never said it you fool.

B.A. Baracus ..

snip drivel

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
It is an exceedingly clever system, but my personal opinion is that it
is too complex electronically to be long term viable.

Do you think the electronics will break down? Well it is a management
system, and all cars have them.

Err, which other cars have ultra high current/voltage management systems?
Engine ECUs on a conventional car run on a mixture of 5 and 12 volt rails,
using common and proved components.

Most hybrid cars by all makers are to have the Toyota system.

'Are to have'. You've been at your crystal ball again.

Water cooled 500V electric motors with 50KW inverters driving them
does not sound economically repairable by my local garage!

The whole drivetrain, except the petrol motor is guaranteed 8 years.
They would have an exchange system for such items.

Could you please state

snuip idiotic senile HIberian drivel

Capitol

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I don't agree. I have had two turbo diesels. They are not bad when
being
gentle. Put your foot down and drink the fuel. I mean from near 40
mpg to
less than 20mpg. And I don't mean standing 0-60 standing starts, just
keeping up with the zippy traffic. Diesels are crap and always have
been.

I presume these were your Ford Escort delivery vans?

Regards
Capitol
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
The velocity ratio between wheels
and engine however is continously
variable. As is the torque. So that
constitues a CV gearing between
wheels and engine. Simple.

Much wrongness again. The petrol motor is one of two motors that
combine as "one entity" to give the power/torque characteristics of one
electric motor. There is no CVT/gearbox between only one of the motors
and the wheels, as the two motors are as one.

So the petrol

This Hiverian fool can never take a hint. Such a fool.

snip drivel

Doctor Drivel

"Capitol" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Yep. Tow a petrol motor to charge the batteries as you go along the
motorway. Novel idea; I have heard that before. A steam cell, the

size of
an upright PC taking up little space, could be fitted to the car.

Some

snip total drivel for a hell of koow-it-all who knows sweet FA

Sad but true.

Doctor Drivel

"Capitol" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I don't agree. I have had two turbo diesels. They are not bad when
being
gentle. Put your foot down and drink the fuel. I mean from near 40
mpg to
less than 20mpg. And I don't mean standing 0-60 standing starts, just
keeping up with the zippy traffic. Diesels are crap and always have
been.

I presume these were your Ford Escort delivery vans?

You are no good at presuming. .Idiots nerver are.

How long have you been this way?

Doctor Drivel

"Owain" wrote in message
T i m wrote:
page 235 of the 2004 Prius Owner's Manual:
quote
Toyota does not recommend towing a
trailer with your Toyota. It is not designed
for trailer towing.
/quote

unquote Toyota does not recommend fornicating on the back seat of your
Toyota. It is not designed for fornicating. /unquote

Is fornicating on the back seat the in-thing north of the border? That
explains a lot.

Capitol

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Yep. Tow a petrol motor to charge the batteries as you go along the
motorway. Novel idea; I have heard that before. A steam cell, the

size of

an upright PC taking up little space, could be fitted to the car.

Some

snip total drivel for a hell of koow-it-all who knows sweet FA

Pity the IMM can't learn to spell in English!!

Sad but true.

Regards
Capitol

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The prices will drop as mass production gets under way, and most
people in few years will be going for hybrids as all makers flood
them onto the market.

So, are Toyota making a profit on the Prius yet?

That statement has no relation top the one above it. You are a scatter
brain.

Can we have details of your crystal ball?

And given you're so good at predicting the future why are you claiming to
drive a ****ty car like a Prius rather than a Rolls-Royce?

--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
snuip idiotic senile HIberian drivel

Oh dear. Back from the pub with a bloody nose again, but still up for
anonymous banter on here.

Seek treatment *now* John.

--
*The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
snip total drivel for a hell of koow-it-all who knows sweet FA

Pity the IMM can't learn to spell in English!!

It's even stranger that one who claims all sorts of technical knowledge -
degrees in this and that, computer literate etc etc - doesn't even know
how to switch on a spell checker.

Sad or what?

--
*Don't use no double negatives *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
T i m

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:55:23 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Are Toyota making a profit on the Prius yet?

T i m
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

Are Toyota making a profit on the Prius yet?

I don't know I am not their chief accountant. They soon will if they are
not, as full production in three countries is ramping up. The Mk 1 was
subsidised by the Japanese government I believe, and never made a profit
being a low production vehicle. It proved successful in all it claimed and
the Mk 2 came about and this one has took off like a rocket.

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

The prices will drop as mass production gets under way, and most
people in few years will be going for hybrids as all makers flood
them onto the market.

So, are Toyota making a profit on the Prius yet?

That statement has no relation to the one above it. You are a scatter
brain.

Can we have details of your crystal ball?

And given you're so good

I am good at everything. Thank you

snip babble

Doctor Drivel

"Capitol" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Yep. Tow a petrol motor to charge the batteries as you go along the
motorway. Novel idea; I have heard that before. A steam cell, the

size of

an upright PC taking up little space, could be fitted to the car.

Some

snip total drivel for a hell of know-it-all who knows sweet FA

Pity

Yes pity, such a pity.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

snip idiotic senile HIberian drivel

Oh dear. Back from the pub

I do not socialise in such low life places. Most are full of drunken
Scotsmen.

Doctor Drivel

Capitol wrote:
snip total drivel for a hell of know-it-all who knows sweet FA

Pity

snip drivel

It's even stranger

It is strange.

snip senile babble

Dave Plowman (News)

In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Are Toyota making a profit on the Prius yet?

I don't know I am not their chief accountant.

Then why not just make up some figures like you've done for all the rest?

--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
snuip idiotic senile HIberian drivel

Oh dear. Back from the pub

I do not socialise in such low life places.

Yup. I can imagine you drinking alone in a corner.

BTW, I've corrected your quoting. Those Googling mustn't be spared from
your 'English'

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
snuip idiotic senile HIberian drivel

Oh dear. Back from the pub

I do not socialise in such low life places.

Yup. I can imagine you drinking alone in a corner.

If you don't go in, you can't be in the corner. Boy are you dumb.