Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" stupidly wrote in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Not available yet. And the Prius is still the best car in the world.

Can't see how, its dog slow.

It is not slow. It can do 100mph, which is way far above the max speed
limit.

And at 100mph,

More confused babble.

snip more tripe

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote illogical tripe in
message ...
In article ,
T i m wrote:
"Remarkably, the petrol engine / electric motor combinanation performs
like a diesel family saloon ... "

So, it performs just like my Rover but cost 160 times as much ...

If you look at some real world

You can't be serious!

snip babble

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" idiotically wrote in message
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
But no gearbox or CVT with pullies and belts.

No one mentioned gearboxes, or pullys, or belts other than you. We wer
just establishing it has a transmission.

You don't even need to bother. It has a conventional CTV, belts and
pulleys and all.

This man is fully mad. Three sheets to the wind.

Sad but true.

Doctor Drivel

"Matt" stupidly wrote in message
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

It has a transmission, but no gearbox. They are not the same thing.

Well that's

Snipped all the rubbish. It was just that.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" confusingly wrote in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

It doesn't have a CVT. Look on the web,

I have and it does,

It doesn't look at my recent post on this and read them all 10 times..

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" stupidly wrte in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Very little in fact. The maximum output from the motor is tiny

compared
to the braking power required. So even capturing all of it you are not
much better off.

Stop making things up.

So your car accelerates

Stop writing tripe

snip babble

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" scribbled away in message
In article ,
Edward W. Thompson wrote:
Nevertheless power generated with machines that are 50% efficient
using low grade fuel (heavy oil) is less 'expensive' than power from
an IC engine fitted to an automobile.

I'd say it would depend

It doesn't depend. He is totally right., and you are wrong.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" idiotically wrote in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Have longer range batteries charged from the grid overnight as well
as on-board, and 200mpg is achievable.

Your lack

More babble to be snipped

snip tripe

Doctor Drivel

"Phil Young" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:10:47 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

The Cooper is BMC. 1966, same year as the DB6

So, both over 25 years old then.

Didn't you say 25 year old cars should be crushed ?

V8s used for every day usage, yes.

Doctor Drivel

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

(traditional gearboxes are not
generally a common point of
failure and are often sealed for
life).

They are an expensive form of failure in auto form, and in manual the
clutch
only lasts 60,00 miles or so, so frequent service/failure there.

If you break clutches every 60,000 miles then you need driving lessons.
I have never had to repair a clutch even though I usally do

100,000-120,000
before I replace the car.

OK if you are on a motorway all day. No gear changes or clutch operation.
Cabbies in London go through a clutch in 40-60,000 miles. Most, like 90%
plus have auto boxes, because of less stress, and the cab is not expensively
(cost of repair and down time) off the road every couple of year replacing a
clutch.

Doctor Drivel

"Matt" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Not available yet. And the Prius is still the best car in the

world.

Can't see how, its dog slow.

It is not slow. It can do 100mph, which is way far above the max speed
limit.

And at 100mph,

snipped drivel

Even better

snipped babble

Sad but true.

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:44:50 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

My 'real EV' has a 400Ah 48V (~20KW) battery (8 x 6V) ;-)

'Cruising' at 30 mph it pulls 200A

It is by EV standards very inefficient.

PC Paul

Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

London cabbies are hardly 'normal' users of clutches.

I drive rural and urban A and B roads mainly. I've only ever once had a
clutch need changing. I but older cars ( 70-140,000 miles already on them)
and run them for 50,000 miles or so.

Statistics say I really should have needed more than that if they only last
60,000 miles.

Doctor Drivel

"PC Paul" wrote in message
.uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

Many delivery vehicles have similar usage.

I drive rural and urban A and B roads mainly. I've only ever once had a
clutch need changing. I but older cars ( 70-140,000 miles already on them)
and run them for 50,000 miles or so.

Statistics say I really should have needed more than that if they only

last
60,000 miles.

T i m

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:38:11 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

snip

My 'real EV' has a 400Ah 48V (~20KW) battery (8 x 6V) ;-)

'Cruising' at 30 mph it pulls 200A

It is by EV standards very inefficient.

woah, steps back .. a rational obersvation for a change

Absolutely, but (as I believe I have mentioned to you *several* times)
is over 35 years old (I've had it 20 years), was assembled from easily
available 'stock' (non optimised) components at the time and has the
aerodynamics of a shed.

I have never proported that it will do anything other than 30 mph and
with a useable range of 20 miles. I have never claimed it can be
charged in one min or had no (in a global sense) emmisions either. It
'really' doesn't have a gearbox (motor directly coupled to the prop /
diff) but if I was to up (double) the voltage I would need to fit a
single speed reduction gearbox (like an overdrive but in reverse) to
reduce the revs.

I did use it very regularly (commuting and fun) for 3 years when I
worked locally but when I worked in the city I used PT (but hated it).

It's called an "Enfield 8000" and in the 'Moke' form very rare. The
project was sponsored by the Electricity Council as a feasibility
study in the late 60's . When the study was closed most of the
vehicles were sold off (mine was never one of them).

The motor is fed via a bank of 8 x 6V 400AH batteries connected as 4 x
12V. A series of electromechanical double ended contactors switch the
motor in series / parallel and voltage 12, 24 then 48 volt steps.
These are triggered via microswitches on a cam on the accellerator
pedal. Fwd / Rev is acheived via a manual X-Over switch. All very
basic but 35 years later still working.

Charge to the traction and aux batteries is provided by an on-board,
under floor charger, bulk charge in around 6-8 hours. (depending on
temperature).

It has been layed up awating sufficient need / interest / funds
(battery) / to put it back on the road, along with the Messerschmitt
KR200.

Were you driving an EV 20 years ago or have you just jumped on the
bandwagon?

T i m

Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

No. Discourage the car. It is clogging the whole country up.

How can that be? I thought we only used 7.5% of it?

It clogs up the 7.5% Boy are you dumb.

You just said "the whole country"

The country we use. We can't use the other massive bit. Boy are you dumb.

One large landowner in Scotland recently allowed the public in to see a part
of "massive" estate. It is the first time people have seen this
countryside, it was as if it was another country. Yes, I would put cars on
his land.

Does all the colours in the swirly patterns hid all the dirt?

Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Doctor Drivel wrote:

To get regen you have to moving, to get moving you
consume energy, you recoup *some* energy but not much. It will reduce
the overall emmissions but not by much.

Quite a bit. More if the have the new Toshiba battery.

Very little in fact. The maximum output from the motor is tiny compared
to the braking power required. So even capturing all of it you are not
much better off.

Stop making things up.

I have given you figures

You made them up.

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:38:11 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I have never had an EV, because they were totally impractical. Now they
not. I have a hybrid not an EV.

You need a modern motor and new modern Lith Ion/Lith Poly batteries.
Otherwise it is a curio taking up space.

Matt

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
But no gearbox or CVT with pullies and belts.

No one mentioned gearboxes, or pullys, or belts other than you. We wer
just establishing it has a transmission.

You don't even need to bother. It has a conventional CTV, belts and
pulleys and all. Which commonly disintegrate at modest mileage for an
auto, and are very expensive to repair.

Dave, I hate to side with Drivel but it doesn't have belts, pulleys
etc associated with the "gearbox" But it IS a CVT.

Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

It has a transmission, but no gearbox. They are not the same thing.

So, for the third time of asking, what did you receive through the
post from Toyota UK last year Drivel? Every Prius owner would know
this. But seeing as you are having difficulty I'll give you a clue,
it came recorded delivery.

Doctor Drivel

"Matt" wrote in message
news
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
But no gearbox or CVT with pullies and belts.

No one mentioned gearboxes, or pullys, or belts other than you. We wer
just establishing it has a transmission.

You don't even need to bother. It has a conventional CTV, belts and
pulleys and all. Which commonly disintegrate at modest mileage for an
auto, and are very expensive to repair.

Dave, I hate to side with Drivel but it doesn't have belts, pulleys
etc associated with the "gearbox"

Lunacy comes in many forms it is true.

But it IS a CVT.

Er, no. See my posts on this, they will put you right.

T i m

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:34:17 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

I have never had an EV, because they were totally impractical. Now they
not. I have a hybrid not an EV.

I think you have mentioned that a few times now ...

You need a modern motor and new modern Lith Ion/Lith Poly batteries.

Thanks for the offer, you are very kind ;-)

Otherwise it is a curio taking up space.

That's two of you then ..

T i m

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:50:05 +0100, Matt
wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

"Matt" stupidly wrote in message
. ..
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

It has a transmission, but no gearbox. They are not the same thing.

So, for the third time of asking, what did you receive through the
post from Toyota UK last year Drivel? Every Prius owner would know
this. But seeing as you are having difficulty I'll give you a clue,
it came recorded delivery.

Drivel still Googling away .."Prius 2004 recorded delivery"

Didn't he say he got his this year Matt, so in 2004 he would have been
dribiliing down the Toyota showroom window?

T i m

Doctor Drivel

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

It has a transmission, but no gearbox. They are not the same thing.

So, for the third time of asking, what did you receive through the
post from Toyota UK last year Drivel? Every Prius owner would know
this. But seeing as you are having difficulty I'll give you a clue,
it came recorded delivery.

Oh a quiz. Give us all a clue. What are the prizes?

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

I have never had an EV, because they were totally impractical. Now they
not. I have a hybrid not an EV.

I think you have mentioned that a few times now ...

You need a modern motor and new modern Lith Ion/Lith Poly batteries.

Thanks for the offer, you are very kind ;-)

Otherwise it is a curio taking up space.

That's two

You have two of these things? Must be a neighbour from hell. Wrecked
cars all over the place.

T i m

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:33:50 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

You have two of these things? Must be a neighbour from hell.

You had better believe it (but you won't because you, Toyota or
Toshiba didn't say it).

Wrecked
cars all over the place.

Town twinned with Beirut .. better not run the Prius though here ..
we'd have you squeeling like a pig ...

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
You clearly do not understand the difference between a transmission and
gearbox. "All" cars, electric, or petrol, have transmissions. They
requi

- a differential,
- drive shafts,
- wheels bearings,
- etc

Wheels could be directly driven off a concentric electric motor so no
drive shafts or differential needed. Called direct drive. Such devices
have been around for many years.

Need to learn more?

--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Not always. My mower and my boat have IC engines. Neither have gearboxes.

They're most unusual then. I've certainly seen gearboxes on both mowers
and boats. How do you reverse the boat without a gearbox?

--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
PC Paul wrote:
*Or* it does 0-60 in under 3s.. in which case he should *still* leave it
at home.... you need to think quickly if you have that much power under
your foot...

I don't think there's any road car that can accelerate to 60 from rest in
the same time as it can brake to a stop.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
No box of gear

Do you understand what an epicyclic gearbox is? It's not exactly new
technology.

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Matt wrote:
You don't even need to bother. It has a conventional CTV, belts and
pulleys and all. Which commonly disintegrate at modest mileage for an
auto, and are very expensive to repair.

Dave, I hate to side with Drivel but it doesn't have belts, pulleys
etc associated with the "gearbox" But it IS a CVT.

Oh I know. But it's fun to wind him up.

All epicyclic boxes can be classed as CVTs if there's a method of allowing
variable speed control of the ring gear. On a normal auto it is either
held stationary or allowed to spin therefore gives fixed ratios. But with
the Toyota system its rotation is linked to the electric motor speed so
gives a CVT. No matter what our resident clown thinks or says.

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
You clearly do not understand the difference between a transmission and
gearbox. "All" cars, electric, or petrol, have transmissions. They
requi

- a differential,
- drive shafts,
- wheels bearings,
- etc

Wheels could be directly

You haven't read the posts. Tsk, tsk. Now, for you. The Toyota Prius has
four CVTs with belts and pullies.

snip drivel

Doctor Drivel

John Rumm wrote:
Not always. My mower and my boat have IC engines. Neither have

gearboxes.

They're most unusual then. I've certainly seen gearboxes on both mowers
and boats. How do you reverse the boat without a gearbox?

You really haven't a clue.

snip drivel

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" stupidly wrote in message
In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

No box of gear

Do you understand

I understand everything in the world

snip babble

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

You have two of these things? Must be a neighbour from hell.

You had better believe it (but you won't because you, Toyota or
Toshiba didn't say it).

Wrecked
cars all over the place.

Town twinned with Beirut .. better not run the Prius though here ..
we'd have you squeeling like a pig ...

I would lock you all up.

Doctor Drivel

Matt wrote:
You don't even need to bother. It has a conventional CTV, belts and
pulleys and all. Which commonly disintegrate at modest mileage for an
auto, and are very expensive to repair.

Dave, I hate to side with Drivel but it doesn't have belts, pulleys
etc associated with the "gearbox" But it IS a CVT.

Oh I know.

You don't know, stop telling porkies. It has FOUR CVTs.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
You haven't read the posts. Tsk, tsk. Now, for you. The Toyota Prius
has four CVTs with belts and pullies.

I'm glad you've come round to my way of thinking. But you're wrong. It
doesn't. But it has a CVT. You know what that stands for? Continuously
Variable Transmission. Doesn't matter how it's achieved.

Now keep reading my posts *carefully* so you can learn.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" foamed at the mouth then wrote
in message ...
In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

You haven't read the posts. Tsk, tsk. Now, for you. The Toyota Prius
has four CVTs with belts and pullies.

I'm glad you've come round to my way of thinking.

Not at all, I am sane. But just for you, The Toyota Prius has four CVTs
with belts and pullies.

Rod

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article s.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
No box of gear

Do you understand what an epicyclic gearbox is? It's not exactly new
technology.

Driving down the old M4
Doing a ton, maybe more
Saw a sign said Bristol Town
Thought I'd better slow it down
I was developing transverse thrust
In my epicyclic overdrive torque condensor unit
And the 'orse was knackered.

Apologies to someone - maybe Fred Wedlock?
--
Rod

Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" doesn't know things and wrote in
message ...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

It is not slow. It can do 100mph, which is way far above the max speed
limit.

And take how long to get there?

Fast enough. It keeps up with them all.