Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
T i m wrote:
The engine is
"off" when the cars is still (kerbside
pollution is a big killer in cities).

Good. Something done a few times
before with conventional IC vehicles

Name one?

I could do a Drivel and make something up (but I won't). I *'think'*
it was on a Transit. They demonstrated the starup emmissions were
overcome by spinning the engine fast for startup (as you mentioned)
and stopping at 'kerbside' as you call it).

Smith's IIRC EasyStart from the early '50s. Was an aftermarket accessory.
Put the car in neutral with the car at rest - manual gearbox of course -
and the engine stopped.
Depress the clutch and put in first gear and it started again.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:24:27 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:33:44 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

I bet the Toyota dealer took all his staff go-carting when they got
rid of the (soon to be obsolete) MK1 Prius on you .. ;-)

I have a Mk 2, new in 04.

And what did you drive before that btw ..

Not crappy diesel, or an antiquated EV or a motor bike, as I have sense.

Can't remember

You are obviously a polluting menance. You need locking up, along with the
lunatic.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I have a Mk 2, new in 04.

And what did you drive before that btw .. or did they run you about in
the 'short bus'?

There's no way he could afford a new Prius given his cock eyed ideas in
his alleged profession. He'd spend more time in the small claims court
than at work.

But it's obvious what he drives. A small Plumber's Merchant's van for a
living. Full of catalogues.

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
T i m wrote:
The engine is
"off" when the cars is still (kerbside
pollution is a big killer in cities).

Good. Something done a few times
before with conventional IC vehicles

Name one?

I could do a Drivel and make something up (but I won't). I *'think'*
it was on a Transit. They demonstrated the starup emmissions were
overcome by spinning the engine fast for startup (as you mentioned)
and stopping at 'kerbside' as you call it).

You "think" it was transit. So you are making this up. Was this a buy out
the showroom vehicle?

Smith's IIRC EasyStart from the early '50s. Was an aftermarket accessory.
Put the car in neutral with the car at rest - manual gearbox of course -
and the engine stopped.
Depress the clutch and put in first gear and it started again.

What a dumb idea. You would go through starter motors every 3 weeks, so I'm
sure you bought one.

T i m

T i m wrote:
The engine is
"off" when the cars is still (kerbside
pollution is a big killer in cities).

Good. Something done a few times
before with conventional IC vehicles

Name one?

I could do a Drivel and make something up (but I won't). I *'think'*
it was on a Transit. They demonstrated the starup emmissions were
overcome by spinning the engine fast for startup (as you mentioned)
and stopping at 'kerbside' as you call it).

You "think" it was transit. So you are making this up. Was this a buy out
the showroom vehicle?

At the time I think it was being developed independantly with the
potential of being offered as a factory supply later. As you know
however, most of the pollution management suff has to show a cost
saving to get folks attention. Of fitted to a new, high city use
vehicle the payback re fuel saving was reasonable (~1 year).

Smith's IIRC EasyStart from the early '50s. Was an aftermarket accessory.
Put the car in neutral with the car at rest - manual gearbox of course -
and the engine stopped.
Depress the clutch and put in first gear and it started again.

Same concept except this was a more powerful moter coupled to the
crank to allow a faster spinnup. Would work the same way re gearbox
use etc.

All the best ..

T i m

T i m

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:30:51 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

And what did you drive before that btw ..

Not crappy diesel, or an antiquated EV or a motor bike, as I have sense.

Can't remember

You are obviously a polluting menance. You need locking up, along with the
lunatic.

Still can't remember then?

T i m
Doctor Drivel

T i m wrote:

[...]

So it never made it to the market. A failed prototype.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
And they say it's fitted with a CVT. There, there.

Which it isn't. How long have you been like this?

Since you've quoted

You are a total madman. The Prius has the engine and electric motor
power simultaneously to elinminate a gearbox/CVT. I know, I have one.

Since you've got one you'll be able to explain how it varies its speed at
over 12 mph since the engine can't deliver near linear torque as a normal
unit can?

I'll not hold my breath since there's more technical knowledge under the
average stone in a garden.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Smith's IIRC EasyStart from the early '50s. Was an aftermarket
accessory. Put the car in neutral with the car at rest - manual
gearbox of course - and the engine stopped. Depress the clutch and put
in first gear and it started again.

What a dumb idea. You would go through starter motors every 3 weeks,

Yes, it was an idea released ahead of the technology to make it work truly
well.

Rather like the Prius.

so I'm sure you bought one.

You say you did. But then you lie rather a lot.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Smith's IIRC EasyStart from the early '50s. Was an aftermarket
accessory. Put the car in neutral with the car at rest - manual
gearbox of course - and the engine stopped. Depress the clutch and put
in first gear and it started again.

What a dumb idea. You would go through starter motors every 3 weeks,

Yes, it was an idea released ahead of the
technology to make it work truly well.

Rather like the Prius.

The Prius is ground breaking - awesome.

so I'm sure you bought one.

You say you did.

No. What I said was "so I'm sure you bought one". So you did. One born
every minute.

EricP

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:52:31 +0100, John Rumm
babbled like a waterfall and said:

Doctor Evil wrote:

Regarding the 1 min re-charge see:
http://www.toshiba.com/taec/press/dmfc_05_270.shtml

As usual you are missing the point. Charging a phone battery with 600mAh
capacity at 5V is one thing - it is easy enough to build a domestic SMPS
that can supply the required 36A (best case) required to charge it in a
minute.

Now a low powered electric car, say capable of 50kW maximum output, will
need batteries with more capacity. If you are draining them at say an
average of 30kW and you want at least 4 hours run time, that looks like
120kW/h capacity. Take a nominal voltage - say 50 - that requires cells
with a 2400Ah capacity. Now you want to recharge those in 1 min?

That would require 144000 amps at 50V, and your own personal 7.2MW power
station.

What do you propose using as a charger? A small thermonuclear device
perhaps?

Didn't he have a fusion reactor on his motorbike?

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" Shamelessly babbled tripe in
message ...
In article ,
T i m wrote:
I have a Mk 2, new in 04.

And what did you drive before that btw .. or did they run you about in
the 'short bus'?

There's no way he could afford a new Prius

It is worth less than my DB6. I bet you wish you could have one, instead of
buying 15 year old V8 crap because it is so cheap no one wants it. Sad.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" frothed away in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
And they say it's fitted with a CVT. There, there.

Which it isn't. How long have you been like this?

Since you've quoted

You are a total madman. The Prius has the engine and electric motor
power simultaneously to elinminate a gearbox/CVT. I know, I have one.

Since you've got one you'll be
able to explain how it varies its speed at
over 12 mph

It doesn't vary its speed over 12 mph as it stays at the speed you set on
your throttle to.

Boy are you dumb!

Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
T i m wrote:

Q4) If you happen to get in the city with a flat battery the engine
can charge the battery whilst parked outside (say) a childerens
hospital?

In fact since it uses differential speed of the petrol and electric
motors to provide the CVT transmission it probably won't work at all
without battery power (or at least would be stuck with one fixed ratio).

There you go:

"The Toyota Prius is unlike other vehicles not only because of its hybrid
technology, but also because of its amazing transmission. Unlike most
vehicles on the road today, which have either 4 speeds and an automatic
transmission or 5 speeds and a manual transmission, the Prius only has 1
speed. At the heart of that brilliant transmission is the Power Split Device
(PSD) which regulates how much output (RPM) comes from each of its inputs
(gasoline engine and electric motors). By combining different levels of the
high torque electric motors with a high efficiency gasoline engine, the
Prius is able to emulate all 5 speeds of a manual transmission, with the
smooth ride of an automatic.

The Power Split Device eliminates the need for a conventional starter motor.
As the electric motors hit a predetermined speed, they force start the
gasoline engine.

Yet So Efficient
When you drive the 2004 Toyota Prius, you'll notice in your review that it
is remarkably quiet. That's because at a stop, the engine actually turns
off, so no gas is wasted as it idles. Conventional vehicles lose about 17%
of their fuel to engine idle as discussed in our efficiency obstacles
article. "

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
There's no way he could afford a new Prius

It is worth less than my DB6.

You see, dear readers? The delusions continue...

I bet you wish you could have one, instead of
buying 15 year old V8 crap because it is so cheap no one wants it. Sad.

But I bought it new. And it's 21 years old. No way a Prius thing will last
that long. The electronics will be toast in half that time.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Since you've got one you'll be
able to explain how it varies its speed at
over 12 mph

It doesn't vary its speed over 12 mph as it stays at the speed you set on
your throttle to.

Right. No wonder you claim such good fuel consumption if you never go over
12mph. Is this round the grounds of the home, with your nurse trotting
along side with the blanket?

Boy are you dumb!

Just because you are ancient and decrepit doesn't give you the right to
call your superiors boy. What would nurse say.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
dennis@home

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
eenews.net...

You take the pollution away from the cities where it does most harm. Get
it? Nah, you don't.

So you waste 50% of the energy and increase global warming just to say you
have zero pollution in the cities.
Sounds like a winner to me.
I guess using a car with a CAT to remove virtually all the pollution just
doesn't count.

dennis@home

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
eenews.net...

You are confused. The Prius does the same job as similar cars, yet is
"simpler", consumes "far" less fuel, is quieter, and emits "far" less
pollutants, especially in areas where the need to kept down as in cities.

It does the same mpg as my car.

The Prius emits far less pollution in built up areas with brake regen
assisting recharge. The engine is tuned for low pollution. It is revved
over 1000rpm before the injection and ignition systems kick in, reducing
pollution, as low rev start-up creates far more pollution. The engine is
"off" when the cars is still (kerbside pollution is a big killer in
cities).
When the low emissions engine kicks in it is assisted by the electric
motor
reducing pollution. I have never know the engine to start by itself to
charge batteries when the car is switched off (it do, but never happened
with me). The management system ensures the battery never goes below a
certain charge and will adjust the power splitter (engine to
wheels/generator to ensure the minium charge).

So with all these advances it still only does the same mpg as my car.
It only just passes the euro 4 spec too (the same as mine).

It looks like the Prius really fairs better in traffic jams (just like any
EV).

dennis@home

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
eenews.net...

Reclaiming near 100% of brake energy is a great advantage. Charging
systems
can made far superior to what is available. They will not stay the same.

Regenerative braking only works if you can spin the motor fast enough.
This implies it will only work when breaking from fairly high speeds.
I doubt if you get much energy back if you are in a London traffic jam at
5mph.

Doctor Drivel

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:43:53 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

Did I read right the batteries are only good for 4-5 miles?

Yep. A Californian company puts Lith Ion batteries in which is good for

60
mile and 135mpg.

I'm not sure where the link between the batteries and mpg comes from
unless you are adjusting the driving pattern (range) accordingly.

In a straight EV the 'cost' per mile

There you are, get rid of crock of an EV and wait 5 years and you can get an
EV at the showrooms. Mitsubishi are going to make arange of them. By the
time the car is ready probably battery technoloy will have improved and the
range even greater.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005...ishi_goes.html

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:
There's no way he could afford a new Prius

It is worth less than my DB6.

You see, dear readers? The delusions continue...

I bet you wish you could have one, instead of
buying 15 year old V8 crap because it is so cheap no one wants it. Sad.

But I bought it new.

On a storman's wages? Pull the other one.

And it's 21 years old.

Should be scrapped.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" foamed at the mouth in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Since you've got one you'll be
able to explain how it varies its speed at
over 12 mph

It doesn't vary its speed over 12 mph as it stays at the speed you set

on
your throttle to.

Right.

snip babble

Boy are you dumb!

Just because you

Boy are you dumb!

Doctor Drivel

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
eenews.net...

You take the pollution away from the cities where it does most harm.

Get
it? Nah, you don't.

So you waste 50% of the energy

What 50% wastage is this?

and increase global warming

It will not increase because of this mythical 50%.

just to say you
have zero pollution in the cities.
Sounds like a winner to me.

Is to me as well.

I guess using a car with a CAT
to remove virtually all the pollution just
doesn't count.

You jest of course. A CAT removes only a part of the pollution. It just
improves matters a bit. You are not very good at this are you?

dennis@home

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Autocar got 55mpg in central London.

They could have

Once again, and repeat it 10 times now,
AutoExpress got 65mpg in central
London. There, there.

I've seen 60 mpg

Once again, and repeat it 10 times now, AutoExpress got 65mpg in central
London in a Prius. There, there.

It is meaningless!
I can get infinite mpg by pushing the car for 10meters.

What you need is an average for a typical journey.
Say from Birmingham to the City of London and back.

Then you can say this car is better than this car.

Just choosing the bit where your car is best is just daft.

The way to less pollution from cars is to have smaller cars and drive slower
not filling them with technology to achieve the same results as a car half
the price.

Doctor Drivel

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
eenews.net...

You are confused. The Prius does the same job as similar cars, yet is
"simpler", consumes "far" less fuel, is quieter, and emits "far" less
pollutants, especially in areas where the need to kept down as in

cities.

It does the same mpg as my car.

Does yours do 65mpg and emits ultra low emissions? Prey tell.

[...]

Nope. You stop making things up.

It looks like the Prius really fairs better in traffic jams (just like any
EV).

And motoring away. Brill car, the world's best.

Doctor Drivel

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
eenews.net...

Reclaiming near 100% of brake energy is a great advantage. Charging
systems
can made far superior to what is available. They will not stay the

same.

Regenerative braking only works
if you can spin the motor fast enough.
This implies it will only work when
breaking from fairly high speeds.

On the existing battery technology, what you say has truth. On the Toshiba
battery the lots is stored.

I doubt if you get much energy back if
you are in a London traffic jam at
5mph.

You doubt? Well that mean you don't know, and are making some of thins up.

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Evil wrote:
Autocar got 55mpg in central London.

They could have

Once again, and repeat it 10 times now,
AutoExpress got 65mpg in central
London. There, there.

I've seen 60 mpg

Once again, and repeat it 10 times now, AutoExpress got 65mpg in

central
London in a Prius. There, there.

It is meaningless!

Not another one.

I can get infinite mpg by pushing
the car for 10meters.

Yes another one

snip disjointed babble

Just for you again "AutoExpress got an everage of 65mpg in central London in
a Prius".

Andy Hall

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:09:27 GMT, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:46:14 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

And this power is generated how?

Gas in the home.

Go to:
http://www.whispergen.co.uk
http://www.gledhill.net/water-storage/ws-index.htm
Go to innovations on the menu and select mCHP

Isn't this in contrast to your main goal of taking pollution away from
the city? Take away the remote power station and burn oil / gas in
1,000,000 homes in the city instead?

T i m

You spotted the inconsistency too?

OTOH, he espouses the distributed microgeneration of electricity.
OTOH, he thinks that centralised generation of energy for transport is
a good idea.

I don't really believe that he actually has one of these Toyota
Priapisms. More likely he's using Autocar as a wank mag or something.

As long as it's something different to the status quo anf Ken says
it's OK, then it's OK for Dr Drivel

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

Doctor Evil wrote:

[...]

Nah. Con-fusion reactor

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:33:44 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

I bet the Toyota dealer took all his staff go-carting when they got
rid of the (soon to be obsolete) MK1 Prius on you .. ;-)

I have a Mk 2, new in 04. The best car in the world.

What's the registration number?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Unlike most vehicles on the road today, which have either 4 speeds and
an automatic transmission or 5 speeds and a manual transmission, the
Prius only has 1 speed.

More Drivel. Where do you get this rubbish from?

5 speed autos have been common since the early 90s. Then 6 speed. Now
seven and even eight.

As are 6 speed manuals.

Was this written by an idiot friend of yours?

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

dennis@home

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
eenews.net...

You take the pollution away from the cities where it does most harm.

Get
it? Nah, you don't.

So you waste 50% of the energy

What 50% wastage is this?

Virtually all these zero emmission projects waste loads of energy.
Like hydrogen powered cars.. sure they emit only water... the other 75% of
their emmisions go up the powerstation chimmnies.
This may reduce pollution in cities but it increases carbon emmisions (and
global warming risk).

and increase global warming

It will not increase because of this mythical 50%.

Why have you commanded it to stop?
YAKCAICMFP

just to say you
have zero pollution in the cities.
Sounds like a winner to me.

Is to me as well.

I guess using a car with a CAT
to remove virtually all the pollution just
doesn't count.

You jest of course. A CAT removes only a part of the pollution. It just
improves matters a bit.

A CAT removes 99% of harmful pollutants.
Why would the Prius have one if they didn't work?
(The CAT on my car works so well you can't measure the pollutants at an MOT
test station.)

You are not very good at this are you?

I know that you can't be as thick as you appear, it isn't possible or does
someone else operate the computer for you?

dennis@home

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
eenews.net...

You are confused. The Prius does the same job as similar cars, yet is
"simpler", consumes "far" less fuel, is quieter, and emits "far" less
pollutants, especially in areas where the need to kept down as in

cities.

It does the same mpg as my car.

Does yours do 65mpg and emits ultra low emissions? Prey tell.

It meets Euro 4 the same as the Prius.
It costs £10000 too.

dennis@home

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
eenews.net...

Reclaiming near 100% of brake energy is a great advantage. Charging
systems
can made far superior to what is available. They will not stay the

same.

Regenerative braking only works
if you can spin the motor fast enough.
This implies it will only work when
breaking from fairly high speeds.

On the existing battery technology, what you say has truth. On the
Toshiba
battery the lots is stored.

It has nothing to do with the battery.. its electromagnitism and mechanics
at work.

I doubt if you get much energy back if
you are in a London traffic jam at
5mph.

You doubt? Well that mean you don't know, and are making some of thins
up.

And you don't!!!!!

dennis@home

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

Just for you again "AutoExpress got an everage of 65mpg in central London
in
a Prius".

Just for you.. its meaningless.
I take it you only drive in central London so that you can achieve what
AutoExpress stated.

T i m

wrote:

[...]

LOL .. Thanks for that Andy, made me laugh more than reading his stuff
in the first place ;-)

T i m

T i m

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:52:51 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Did I read right the batteries are only good for 4-5 miles?

Yep. A Californian company puts Lith Ion batteries in which is good for

60
mile and 135mpg.

I'm not sure where the link between the batteries and mpg comes from
unless you are adjusting the driving pattern (range) accordingly.

In a straight EV the 'cost' per mile

There you are, get rid of crock of an EV and wait 5 years and you can get an
EV at the showrooms.

I had one 20 years ago and it's still going .. like your Primus will
be not. And I hed it when folk were beating you up (biff baff) and
Toyota were just making trucks for terrorists.

T i m
T i m

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:34:25 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I have a Mk 2, new in 04.

And what did you drive before that btw .. or did they run you about in
the 'short bus'?

There's no way he could afford a new Prius given his cock eyed ideas in
his alleged profession. He'd spend more time in the small claims court
than at work.

But it's obvious what he drives. A small Plumber's Merchant's van for a
living. Full of catalogues.

Drivel flicks through 'What Hybrid' mag (special order only)

"Ooohh .. luvley Prius" muuahhh flicks page "Euuuhh .. pit babe"
flicks page over quickly

T i m

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I don't really believe that he actually has one of these Toyota
Priapisms. More likely he's using Autocar as a wank mag or something.

If only. He might have learnt something. Although Autocar saw its possible
merits they also showed it up for the con it is, fuel consumption wise.
It's not as good as a diesel of comparative performance and carrying
capacity.

As long as it's something different to the status quo anf Ken says
it's OK, then it's OK for Dr Drivel

In his mind only.

--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *