MM

Default Is there a form number for title deed?

I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

MM
Andy Hall

On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:39:56 +0100, MM wrote:

I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

MM

I understand from a recent discussion on the subject with a solicitor
that the so-called "deeds" no longer have any legal significance and
that that is held by the Land Registry itself.

You can get an office copy from their web site for £2, which would be
considerably less than a solicitor would charge just for putting the
paper in the envelope and posting it.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Russ

Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:39:56 +0100, MM wrote:

I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly

reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

MM

Title deeds don't exist and if they did aren't worth the paper they

are written on.

The title to your property is registered with the land reg and as Andy
said a copy can be sought from

http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk...eSearchServlet

Russell

OldBill

Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:39:56 +0100, MM wrote:

I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

MM

I understand from a recent discussion on the subject with a solicitor
that the so-called "deeds" no longer have any legal significance and
that that is held by the Land Registry itself.

Oh dear, I wonder if the impressive bound document the L.R. recently
sent me when I paid off my mortgage, is a figment of my imagination.

I agree it what is in the L.R. that matters, but if they have sent
official copy to your solicitor then demand they give it to you.
Assuming you have sole title that is, if there is a loan on the property
then the mortgage will hold the deeds.
Andy Hall

On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:11:34 +0100, OldBill
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:39:56 +0100, MM wrote:

I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

MM

I understand from a recent discussion on the subject with a solicitor
that the so-called "deeds" no longer have any legal significance and
that that is held by the Land Registry itself.

Oh dear, I wonder if the impressive bound document the L.R. recently
sent me when I paid off my mortgage, is a figment of my imagination.

Not at all. It's simply marketing. Take a look at the Land Registry
web site, the Land Registration Act 2002 and specifically

http://www.landreg.gov.uk/assets/lib...t_sheet010.pdf

From 13 Oct 2003, the status of the Title Information Document is that
it is *not* a document of title - i.e. posession of said document does
not imply holding of title.

This is a new property.

I agree it what is in the L.R. that matters, but if they have sent
official copy to your solicitor then demand they give it to you.

or tell them to shred it and not waste time and money.

Assuming you have sole title that is, if there is a loan on the property
then the mortgage will hold the deeds.

This is incorrect. It would only be relevant in the case of
unregistered property where the old practice was for the vendor to
pass the title deeds as evidence of ownership to the purchaser or
secured lender.

With registered propoerty, charges against the property are recorded
by the Land Registry, which is the whole point of having a centralised
system.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Set Square

MM wrote:

I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

MM

The document issued by the Land Registry when you are the outright owner is
called a Land Certificate.

If there is a mortgage on the property, it is probably then called a Charge
Certificate - and it will be held by your bank or building society until you
have paid off the loan in full. In this case, if the solicitor was also
acting for the lender, it would have been sent to him in that capacity - and
he will forward it to the lender, not to you.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

raden

In message , MM
writes
I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

You don't have a mortgage on the property then ?

--
geoff
MM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:34:43 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , MM
writes
I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

You don't have a mortgage on the property then ?

Correct. It appears then that I should be expecting to receive a "Land
Certificate", going on what Set Square commented. Can't understand why
the solicitor is sitting on it for so long, though, as the LR told me
over the phone that their records show it was sent to said solicitor
in March. That's why I'm going to fire off a letter.

MM
Mark

raden wrote in message
In message , MM
writes
I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

You don't have a mortgage on the property then ?

And it wasn't a "brand-new property"

Al Reynolds

"MM" wrote:
Correct. It appears then that I should be expecting to receive a "Land
Certificate", going on what Set Square commented. Can't understand why
the solicitor is sitting on it for so long, though, as the LR told me
over the phone that their records show it was sent to said solicitor
in March. That's why I'm going to fire off a letter.

Back in the days when the deeds were important, solicitors used to
keep their clients' deeds in the safe* at the office, unless instructed
otherwise, even if it was a land certificate. I'm sure if you ask for
them they will send them. Old habits die hard.

Al

*often a special fire- and water-proof safe

[news]

OldBill wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:39:56 +0100, MM wrote:

I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

MM

I understand from a recent discussion on the subject with a solicitor
that the so-called "deeds" no longer have any legal significance and
that that is held by the Land Registry itself.

Oh dear, I wonder if the impressive bound document the L.R. recently
sent me when I paid off my mortgage, is a figment of my imagination.

nope, that's probably your deeds. the 'legal' one is the electronic copy.
held by the land registry. you can download and print out a copy of your
deeds but they are not legal until stamped by the LR

we did it just last week and when we filed them we found /our/ bound copy
of the deeds which we'd forgotten about. wasted £4 :-(

RT

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
MM wrote:
I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

Have you bought the property outright? If on a mortgage, the documents go
to the BS - or did in my day. You could get copies of them, though, if
you're that interested.

--
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Stuart

On 13 May 2005 11:03:28 -0700, "Russ"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:39:56 +0100, MM wrote:

I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly

reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

MM

Title deeds don't exist and if they did aren't worth the paper they

are written on.

The title to your property is registered with the land reg and as Andy
said a copy can be sought from

http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk...eSearchServlet

Russell

Or if you live in Scotland .
http://www.ros.gov.uk/citizen/copydeeds.html

Stay away from
www.scotlandregistry.co.uk
on account of the charges .because of the name it comes up first in
Google.
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
MM

On Sat, 14 May 2005 06:33:46 +0100, "Al Reynolds"
wrote:

"MM" wrote:
Correct. It appears then that I should be expecting to receive a "Land
Certificate", going on what Set Square commented. Can't understand why
the solicitor is sitting on it for so long, though, as the LR told me
over the phone that their records show it was sent to said solicitor
in March. That's why I'm going to fire off a letter.

Back in the days when the deeds were important, solicitors used to
keep their clients' deeds in the safe* at the office, unless instructed
otherwise, even if it was a land certificate. I'm sure if you ask for
them they will send them. Old habits die hard.

Ah, that might explain why they haven't sent them.

MM
Andy Hall

wrote:

"MM" wrote:
Correct. It appears then that I should be expecting to receive a "Land
Certificate", going on what Set Square commented. Can't understand why
the solicitor is sitting on it for so long, though, as the LR told me
over the phone that their records show it was sent to said solicitor
in March. That's why I'm going to fire off a letter.

Back in the days when the deeds were important, solicitors used to
keep their clients' deeds in the safe* at the office, unless instructed
otherwise, even if it was a land certificate. I'm sure if you ask for
them they will send them. Old habits die hard.

Ah, that might explain why they haven't sent them.

MM

Because they can charge you for something which is completely
unnecessary.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

raden

In message , Al Reynolds
writes
"MM" wrote:
Correct. It appears then that I should be expecting to receive a "Land
Certificate", going on what Set Square commented. Can't understand why
the solicitor is sitting on it for so long, though, as the LR told me
over the phone that their records show it was sent to said solicitor
in March. That's why I'm going to fire off a letter.

Back in the days when the deeds were important, solicitors used to
keep their clients' deeds in the safe* at the office, unless instructed
otherwise, even if it was a land certificate. I'm sure if you ask for
them they will send them. Old habits die hard.

Al

*often a special fire- and water-proof safe

Which requires £50 in the slot to open it

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"OldBill" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:39:56 +0100, MM wrote:

I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

MM

I understand from a recent discussion on the subject with a solicitor
that the so-called "deeds" no longer have any legal significance and
that that is held by the Land Registry itself.

Oh dear, I wonder if the impressive bound document the L.R. recently sent
me when I paid off my mortgage, is a figment of my imagination.

We were given the deeds too (in an unimpressive handover and,
disappointingly, no ceremony) a few years ago.I'd be disappointed to know
that it had no value.

Although it was a fascinating document, our house was built on private land
in the 1930s and the story of that land, the owners, the family diputes and
the like was amazing!

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

From 13 Oct 2003, the status of the Title Information Document is that
it is *not* a document of title - i.e. posession of said document does
not imply holding of title.

This is a new property.

I agree it what is in the L.R. that matters, but if they have sent
official copy to your solicitor then demand they give it to you.

or tell them to shred it and not waste time and money.

Assuming you have sole title that is, if there is a loan on the property
then the mortgage will hold the deeds.

This is incorrect. It would only be relevant in the case of
unregistered property where the old practice was for the vendor to
pass the title deeds as evidence of ownership to the purchaser or
secured lender.

So does that mean that our property is not registered, since we have the
title deeds? We've never had any communication from the Land Registry.

With registered propoerty, charges against the property are recorded
by the Land Registry, which is the whole point of having a centralised
system.

So our deeds might be a legal document now but not when/if the house changes
hands?

This is fascinating.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Brilliant!

Mary

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 14 May 2005 20:00:05 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

So does that mean that our property is not registered, since we have the
title deeds? We've never had any communication from the Land Registry.

Not necessarily. If you look on their web site there are a number of
information notes which explain it. If it's not registered, then
the deeds are the defacto document of ownership. If it is, then it
was probably registered before the new Act, but the effect of the Act
is to make the Land Registry as opposed to the piece of paper
definitive.

You can easily check by spending £2 on their web site for a copy of
the entry.

With registered propoerty, charges against the property are recorded
by the Land Registry, which is the whole point of having a centralised
system.

So our deeds might be a legal document now but not when/if the house changes
hands?

Again if you read the inofrmation notes it explains what happens when
there is a change of ownership or some other registration/charge event
- e.g. remortgage..

This is fascinating.

Mary

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:57:08 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"OldBill" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

It's value is as a certified copy of the registration entry, much as
you would get if you went to the registrar of hatched, matched and
dispatched and asked for a copy of your birth certificate.

Although it was a fascinating document, our house was built on private land
in the 1930s and the story of that land, the owners, the family diputes and
the like was amazing!

Trouble down at t'mill? Luddites smashed up machinery? That kind of
thing?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

wrote:

[...]

Velly intelesting, I'll have a look, thanks,

Mary

MM

wrote:

"OldBill" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

That's why I'd like to buy an old property again. This brand-new house
has no history and consequently no character. The deeds to my
ex-council house in Bucks went right back to well before the house was
built, the land (12 acres as I recall) having been purchased by
Wycombe council from Lord Baron Carrington for £800 during the war.
The council estate was only started well after the end of the war.
Those deeds made fascinating reading even though the property had only
stood for fifty-odd years. And the deeds by then had got to at least
an inch thick. Imagine a house built in the 1800s!

MM
Mary Fisher

wrote:

"OldBill" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

We have the hatched ones, crumbling away in a filing cabinet. Both signed by
the same chap ...

But we wanted a copy of a 'matched' certificate, when we couldn't find the
right file the vicar of the church where we were married (at the bottom of
the street) said that all his records have become subsumed in some central
record place (forget the name, someone will remind me). It wasn't the
Registry.

Although it was a fascinating document, our house was built on private
land
in the 1930s and the story of that land, the owners, the family diputes
and
the like was amazing!

Trouble down at t'mill? Luddites smashed up machinery? That kind of
thing?

Oh no, just the usual fallings out between siblings, cousins, children being
disinherited for not toeing the line ... No mills round here in the late
1800s and early 1900s. Not the right kind of country. No machinery either,
that's at the other side of the city - downwind :-)

I don't think there was anything like that in Leeds, the Industrial
Revolution was the real start of our development. The Heavy Woollen District
had that kind of thing.

Mary

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mary Fisher

"MM" wrote in message

We were given the deeds too

Although it was a fascinating document, our house was built on private
land
in the 1930s and the story of that land, the owners, the family disputes
and
the like was amazing!

That's why I'd like to buy an old property again. This brand-new house
has no history and consequently no character.

You'll have to give it some!

The deeds to my
ex-council house in Bucks went right back to well before the house was
built, the land (12 acres as I recall) having been purchased by
Wycombe council from Lord Baron Carrington for £800 during the war.
The council estate was only started well after the end of the war.
Those deeds made fascinating reading even though the property had only
stood for fifty-odd years. And the deeds by then had got to at least
an inch thick. Imagine a house built in the 1800s!

Well, that's the thing. Our house was built in the late 30s but the deeds
recorded everything which had gone on with the land ownership for centuries
before then. It wasn't just the building we live in. That's what made it so
interesting, we became part of a much bigger entity in time as well as
space.

Very few of our neighbours will ever see their deeds because they move on
before they pay off their mortgages. We had a council mortgage because the
council had to re-house us and we persuaded them to give us a mortgage
instead of a council house. We didn't qualify for a BS mortgage. When we
went to the Civic Hall for the deeds we expected there to be some ritual but
we were left sitting in a corridor until an uninterested teenager clerk
brought the envelope and said, "Here you are." and went off. What an
anticlimax!

Mary

MM

Martin Angove

In message ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Brilliant!

Mary

Red Dwarf?

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... REALITY.SYS Corrupted: Re-boot Universe (Y/N/Q)
Mary Fisher

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Brilliant!

Mary

Red Dwarf?

I obviously miss so much by not having telly!

Mary

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
We were given the deeds too (in an unimpressive handover and,
disappointingly, no ceremony) a few years ago.I'd be disappointed to
know that it had no value.

Although it was a fascinating document, our house was built on private
land in the 1930s and the story of that land, the owners, the family
diputes and the like was amazing!

Mine state I'm not allowed to carry out trading as a tinker or peddler
from the premises or sell alcohol. Or keep pigs.
With a back garden the size of a postage stamp it would be more likely a
piglet.

I'm taking it all the way to Europe...

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mary Fisher

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Mine state I'm not allowed to carry out trading as a tinker or peddler
from the premises or sell alcohol. Or keep pigs.
With a back garden the size of a postage stamp it would be more likely a
piglet.

I'm taking it all the way to Europe...

What - the pig?

There are no restrictions on our trading as tinkers or pedlars, just as
well, we do both! I have a feeling that if They knew we had hens They might
.... ignore it!

Mary

MM

On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:18:53 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .

We were given the deeds too

Although it was a fascinating document, our house was built on private
land
in the 1930s and the story of that land, the owners, the family disputes
and
the like was amazing!

That's why I'd like to buy an old property again. This brand-new house
has no history and consequently no character.

You'll have to give it some!

I think it takes years and several owners/occupiers before that
happens. Also, in my previous property I had expended a lot of effort
ripping off six layers of wallpaper, painting, laying floors, re-doing
the garden etc etc, and in the end I felt like I had become part of
the property. This new property needs zilch done to it, and there are
a few things about it that I don't like. I don't like the alarm system
and the hermetically sealed doors and windows (ideal enclosure for
carbon monoxide-induced suicide, by the way), the horrid low-voltage
lights that don't come on immediately like good old-fashioned bulbs,
the almost white carpets that pose a continual problem trying to keep
them clean, the pancake-like surface of the 'topsoil' the builders put
down in the back 'garden', the cost of metered water....need I go on?
Actually, across the road is an identical property now on the market
for almost £11,000 more than I paid. If they get it fairly soon, I
shall be off to pastures new (and older, much older).

MM

Stuart

On Sun, 15 May 2005 14:05:13 +0100, MM wrote:

On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:18:53 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..

We were given the deeds too

[...]

This might be of interest to you seeing as you mentioned the price of
your neighbours house .It is free.
http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Mary Fisher

"MM" wrote in message

That's why I'd like to buy an old property again. This brand-new house
has no history and consequently no character.

You'll have to give it some!

I think it takes years and several owners/occupiers before that
happens. Also, in my previous property I had expended a lot of effort
ripping off six layers of wallpaper, painting, laying floors, re-doing
the garden etc etc, and in the end I felt like I had become part of
the property. This new property needs zilch done to it, and there are
a few things about it that I don't like. I don't like the alarm system
and the hermetically sealed doors and windows (ideal enclosure for
carbon monoxide-induced suicide, by the way),

I thought there had to be some form of ventilation by law ...

the horrid low-voltage
lights that don't come on immediately like good old-fashioned bulbs,

What I don't like about those is the quality of the light. But surely you
can eplcethem with tungsten in?

the almost white carpets that pose a continual problem trying to keep
them clean,

They're mad. But was it down when you bought the house? I've never heard of
a built-in carpet!

the pancake-like surface of the 'topsoil' the builders put
down in the back 'garden',

Hire a rotovator.

the cost of metered water

Now that surprises me. Our water bill has been reduced to a munuscule amount
since we installed a meter.

....need I go on?

'Sup to you!

Actually, across the road is an identical property now on the market
for almost £11,000 more than I paid. If they get it fairly soon, I
shall be off to pastures new (and older, much older).

But then you'll have to spend all that time and effort getting rid of the
evidence of previous owners' bad tastes and DIY skills!

Mary

MM

MM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 14:44:30 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .

That's why I'd like to buy an old property again. This brand-new house
has no history and consequently no character.

You'll have to give it some!

I think it takes years and several owners/occupiers before that
happens. Also, in my previous property I had expended a lot of effort
ripping off six layers of wallpaper, painting, laying floors, re-doing
the garden etc etc, and in the end I felt like I had become part of
the property. This new property needs zilch done to it, and there are
a few things about it that I don't like. I don't like the alarm system
and the hermetically sealed doors and windows (ideal enclosure for
carbon monoxide-induced suicide, by the way),

I thought there had to be some form of ventilation by law ...

Oh, there must be some. Otherwise I wouldn't be writing this! But you
must know what it's like in new properties, even if you live in an old
house. My previous house creaked and groaned. This one is as silent as
the grave, which is what it feels like most of the time.

the horrid low-voltage
lights that don't come on immediately like good old-fashioned bulbs,

What I don't like about those is the quality of the light. But surely you
can eplcethem with tungsten in?

Yes, the light itself is far too bright and glaring. That, too, is a
problem. I once had the idea of ripping out all the low-voltage stuff
and putting in proper lights. But then I thought, stuff it, I'm gonna
move! Not all rooms have the LV lighting - the bedrooms have nice
bulbs. I often sit in the bedroom with the door shut and imagine what
life would be like if the whole house were thus equipped.

the almost white carpets that pose a continual problem trying to keep
them clean,

They're mad. But was it down when you bought the house? I've never heard of
a built-in carpet!

Oh, it was there all right. But I had to move. I needed to break away
from the South. It was getting too congested. I always saw this house
as a jumping off point and not as my final destination. I didn't think
it would take this long to fall in love with a place. Since I haven't
yet, I think it's time to move on (when the market speaks, of course).

the pancake-like surface of the 'topsoil' the builders put
down in the back 'garden',

Hire a rotovator.

That was going to be my next move. But after considerable raking,
loosening, aerating (with one of those hollow tine thingies) and
composting over a couple of weeks, the grass is now growing and, I
must say, it is coming along quite nicely, though a bit patchy. See
he http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com/

the cost of metered water

Now that surprises me. Our water bill has been reduced to a munuscule amount
since we installed a meter.

A cubic meter is around 90 pence, I believe. That sounds a lot,
judging by the number of baths I take. (I hate showers.)

....need I go on?

'Sup to you!

No, it's still the middle of the afternoon.

Actually, across the road is an identical property now on the market
for almost £11,000 more than I paid. If they get it fairly soon, I
shall be off to pastures new (and older, much older).

But then you'll have to spend all that time and effort getting rid of the
evidence of previous owners' bad tastes and DIY skills!

Ah, a challenge at last! Can't wait!

MM
MM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 14:39:44 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

On Sun, 15 May 2005 14:05:13 +0100, MM wrote:

On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:18:53 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message

We were given the deeds too

[...]

I am already using the same service through RightMove, but thanks
anyway. It's a real eye-opener, isn't it! I was gobsmacked to see some
of the (low) prices my neighbours paid a year or eighteen months ago.

MM
Mary Fisher

"MM" wrote in message

That's why I'd like to buy an old property again. This brand-new house
has no history and consequently no character.

You'll have to give it some!

I think it takes years and several owners/occupiers before that
happens. Also, in my previous property I had expended a lot of effort
ripping off six layers of wallpaper, painting, laying floors, re-doing
the garden etc etc, and in the end I felt like I had become part of
the property. This new property needs zilch done to it, and there are
a few things about it that I don't like. I don't like the alarm system
and the hermetically sealed doors and windows (ideal enclosure for
carbon monoxide-induced suicide, by the way),

I thought there had to be some form of ventilation by law ...

Oh, there must be some.

So what's the problem with hermetically sealed doors? You won't getdraughts,
therefor your heating bills will be lews and you'll be doing something for
the environment.

Otherwise I wouldn't be writing this! But you
must know what it's like in new properties, even if you live in an old
house. My previous house creaked and groaned. This one is as silent as
the grave, which is what it feels like most of the time.

This one is if we don't make any noise, sing, whistle, put on the wireless,
the radiogram ...

the horrid low-voltage
lights that don't come on immediately like good old-fashioned bulbs,

What I don't like about those is the quality of the light. But surely you
can replace them with tungsten in?

Yes, the light itself is far too bright and glaring. That, too, is a
problem. I once had the idea of ripping out all the low-voltage stuff
and putting in proper lights. But then I thought, stuff it, I'm gonna
move!

New bulbs are cheaper!

Not all rooms have the LV lighting - the bedrooms have nice
bulbs. I often sit in the bedroom with the door shut and imagine what
life would be like if the whole house were thus equipped.

Oh come on!

the almost white carpets that pose a continual problem trying to keep
them clean,

They're mad. But was it down when you bought the house? I've never heard
of
a built-in carpet!

Oh, it was there all right. But I had to move. I needed to break away
from the South. It was getting too congested.

There I can sympathise with you.

I always saw this house
as a jumping off point and not as my final destination. I didn't think
it would take this long to fall in love with a place.

We're not in love with our house, even after 40+ years.But I never expected
to be, things are to use, people are for loving.

Since I haven't
yet, I think it's time to move on (when the market speaks, of course).

I suspect that's the underlying reason for your complaints. But you're happy
to inflict them on others!

the pancake-like surface of the 'topsoil' the builders put
down in the back 'garden',

Hire a rotovator.

That was going to be my next move. But after considerable raking,
loosening, aerating (with one of those hollow tine thingies) and
composting over a couple of weeks, the grass is now growing and, I
must say, it is coming along quite nicely, though a bit patchy. See
he http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com/

It's a far better lawn than we have. Our hens ate all our grass. Since I
can't see the point of lawns anyway that was no problem, saved on mowing.

the cost of metered water

Now that surprises me. Our water bill has been reduced to a munuscule
amount
since we installed a meter.

A cubic meter is around 90 pence, I believe. That sounds a lot,
judging by the number of baths I take. (I hate showers.)

I don't know what we pay but a cubic metre is a lot of water. I hate showers
too.

Actually, across the road is an identical property now on the market
for almost £11,000 more than I paid. If they get it fairly soon, I
shall be off to pastures new (and older, much older).

But then you'll have to spend all that time and effort getting rid of the
evidence of previous owners' bad tastes and DIY skills!

Ah, a challenge at last! Can't wait!

Well, I suppose everyone needs a hobby ...

Mary

MM

MM

On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:14:29 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Oh, I know I am being a responsible little householder, but didn't you
ever see that poster of the bloke who painted his house purple? The
thought police were arriving to take him away.

Otherwise I wouldn't be writing this! But you
must know what it's like in new properties, even if you live in an old
house. My previous house creaked and groaned. This one is as silent as
the grave, which is what it feels like most of the time.

This one is if we don't make any noise, sing, whistle, put on the wireless,
the radiogram ...

That's a different kind of noise. I'm talking about the noises of a
living, breathing structure, spiders and all, that has survived fifty
years of gales, storms, snow, sun, and countless tenants (in my case)
with their various little 'improvements'. An indefinable soul that is
also present in old boats.

the horrid low-voltage
lights that don't come on immediately like good old-fashioned bulbs,

What I don't like about those is the quality of the light. But surely you
can replace them with tungsten in?

Yes, the light itself is far too bright and glaring. That, too, is a
problem. I once had the idea of ripping out all the low-voltage stuff
and putting in proper lights. But then I thought, stuff it, I'm gonna
move!

New bulbs are cheaper!

Cost is not everything.

Not all rooms have the LV lighting - the bedrooms have nice
bulbs. I often sit in the bedroom with the door shut and imagine what
life would be like if the whole house were thus equipped.

Oh come on!

No, sorry, I cannot. I am too depressed. No, you cannot persuade me! I
said NO, okay? Oh, all right, then. Cup of tea and a bacon sarnie? Oh,
well. If you feel you must...

the almost white carpets that pose a continual problem trying to keep
them clean,

They're mad. But was it down when you bought the house? I've never heard
of
a built-in carpet!

Oh, it was there all right. But I had to move. I needed to break away
from the South. It was getting too congested.

There I can sympathise with you.

I always saw this house
as a jumping off point and not as my final destination. I didn't think
it would take this long to fall in love with a place.

We're not in love with our house, even after 40+ years.But I never expected
to be, things are to use, people are for loving.

I don't mean that kind of love, but the kind of empathy one feels for
one's habitat and surroundings. In any case, nearly all the people I
loved are dead.

Since I haven't
yet, I think it's time to move on (when the market speaks, of course).

I suspect that's the underlying reason for your complaints. But you're happy
to inflict them on others!

the pancake-like surface of the 'topsoil' the builders put
down in the back 'garden',

Hire a rotovator.

That was going to be my next move. But after considerable raking,
loosening, aerating (with one of those hollow tine thingies) and
composting over a couple of weeks, the grass is now growing and, I
must say, it is coming along quite nicely, though a bit patchy. See
he http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com/

It's a far better lawn than we have.

Hey! That is really nice to hear! Perhaps I'm too much of a
perfectionist to notice. Although I do admit to feeling just a tad
pleased with it. So far, at least. Anything could happen. Probably the
worst.

Our hens ate all our grass. Since I
can't see the point of lawns anyway that was no problem, saved on mowing.

Lawns look nice. They generate a pleasant atmosphere. But hens are
nice, too. My father had several thousand of the little blighters. We
ate quite a few of the old'uns. They were tough unless boiled. They
really stank the place out when the innards were drawn.

the cost of metered water

Now that surprises me. Our water bill has been reduced to a munuscule
amount
since we installed a meter.

A cubic meter is around 90 pence, I believe. That sounds a lot,
judging by the number of baths I take. (I hate showers.)

I don't know what we pay but a cubic metre is a lot of water. I hate showers
too.

Actually, across the road is an identical property now on the market
for almost £11,000 more than I paid. If they get it fairly soon, I
shall be off to pastures new (and older, much older).

But then you'll have to spend all that time and effort getting rid of the
evidence of previous owners' bad tastes and DIY skills!

Ah, a challenge at last! Can't wait!

Well, I suppose everyone needs a hobby ...

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms for the lack of a paintbrush and dirty
fingernails.

MM
Andy Hall

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Brilliant!

Mary

Red Dwarf?

I obviously miss so much by not having telly!

Mary

You don't you know.

I travel a lot, as you know. In most places I can listen to R4 or
the World Service on the internet. I used to take a short wave
receiver with me but no need any more. I can get a reasonable
connection in most places - for example, I am not in the UK now.

When one is in a cultural and literal desert (or even dessert) like
California, being able to listen to Newshour is an oasis.
Somehow Owen Bennett-Jones and Robin Lustig (I went to school with
him) represent something of a stability in an uncertain world.

I'm a strong critic of anything with government or pseudo-government
involvement. This doesn't mean that I'm an However, when I listen to
material from the BBC (and take out what is normally obvious bias), I
don't begrudge a penny of the licence fee.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"MM" wrote in message

"MM" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

DID I SEND THAT???

I'm sorry if I did, I don't know what 'lews' means! And I do know how to
spell 'therefore'

hangs head in shame - and that was before dinner and the very nice
Bordeaux

Oh, I know I am being a responsible little householder, but didn't you
ever see that poster of the bloke who painted his house purple?

No.

The
thought police were arriving to take him away.

Why? It's not environmentally unfriendly ...

... My previous house creaked and groaned. This one is as silent as
the grave, which is what it feels like most of the time.

This one is if we don't make any noise, sing, whistle, put on the
wireless,
the radiogram ...

That's a different kind of noise. I'm talking about the noises of a
living, breathing structure,

Houses don't live or breathe ...

spiders and all,

You have to have incredibly acute hearing to be able to detect spiders by
any other sense than sight and touch.

that has survived fifty
years of gales, storms, snow, sun, and countless tenants (in my case)
with their various little 'improvements'.

Falling apart and horribly decorated!

An indefinable soul that is
also present in old boats.

Hmm. You could always live on a boat. We considered it once. But not for the
noise.

the horrid low-voltage
lights that don't come on immediately like good old-fashioned bulbs,

What I don't like about those is the quality of the light. But surely
you
can replace them with tungsten in?

Yes, the light itself is far too bright and glaring. That, too, is a
problem. I once had the idea of ripping out all the low-voltage stuff
and putting in proper lights. But then I thought, stuff it, I'm gonna
move!

New bulbs are cheaper!

Cost is not everything.

I think you're just finding things to post about.

Not all rooms have the LV lighting - the bedrooms have nice
bulbs. I often sit in the bedroom with the door shut and imagine what
life would be like if the whole house were thus equipped.

Oh come on!

No, sorry, I cannot. I am too depressed. No, you cannot persuade me!

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. If you couldn't anticipate the
problems and your acceptance of them when you saw the house before you
bought it there's no hope for you.

said NO, okay? Oh, all right, then. Cup of tea and a bacon sarnie? Oh,
well. If you feel you must...

I doubt that your tea would be to my taste. As for the bacon - what breed,
what rearing, what layerage, what killing, what cure, what type of bread?
I'm probably even fussier than you :-)

I always saw this house
as a jumping off point and not as my final destination. I didn't think
it would take this long to fall in love with a place.

We're not in love with our house, even after 40+ years.But I never
expected
to be, things are to use, people are for loving.

I don't mean that kind of love, but the kind of empathy one feels for
one's habitat and surroundings.

Oh bolli!

In any case, nearly all the people I
loved are dead.

There must be younger people around you.

See
he http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com/

It's a far better lawn than we have.

Hey! That is really nice to hear! Perhaps I'm too much of a
perfectionist to notice.

Oh! You're becoming aware!!

Although I do admit to feeling just a tad
pleased with it. So far, at least. Anything could happen. Probably the
worst.

sigh

Our hens ate all our grass. Since I
can't see the point of lawns anyway that was no problem, saved on mowing.

Lawns look nice.

No they don't.

They generate a pleasant atmosphere.

No they don't. And you spend time watering and fertilising them so that they
grow and then you cut them. Mad.

But hens are
nice, too. My father had several thousand of the little blighters. We
ate quite a few of the old'uns. They were tough unless boiled.

Simmered.

They
really stank the place out when the innards were drawn.

I've never known that. Perhaps it was a function of the feed- or perhaps the
innards were damaged when they were drawn. I've drawn hens, ducks, geese and
turkeys (as well as game birds) and have never had bad smells.

Actually, across the road is an identical property now on the market
for almost £11,000 more than I paid. If they get it fairly soon, I
shall be off to pastures new (and older, much older).

But then you'll have to spend all that time and effort getting rid of
the
evidence of previous owners' bad tastes and DIY skills!

Ah, a challenge at last! Can't wait!

Well, I suppose everyone needs a hobby ...

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms for the lack of a paintbrush and dirty
fingernails.

Look, there's nothing to stop you painting your house even if it's
pristine.If you don't like it it needs it.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I obviously miss so much by not having telly!

Mary

You don't you know.

Well, I do, really :-)

I travel a lot, as you know. In most places I can listen to R4 or
the World Service on the internet. I used to take a short wave
receiver with me but no need any more. I can get a reasonable
connection in most places - for example, I am not in the UK now.

We don't go abroad but I do always have a personal radio to listen to WS
through the night if it's a wakeful one. Through the day R4 is in every
room, even the greenhouse (solar/wind up powered). Away from home we have
those too.

When one is in a cultural and literal desert (or even dessert)

No - really ? !

like
California, being able to listen to Newshour is an oasis.
Somehow Owen Bennett-Jones and Robin Lustig (I went to school with
him)

Ooooh!

represent something of a stability in an uncertain world.

Yes ...

I'm a strong critic of anything with government or pseudo-government
involvement.

Me too.

This doesn't mean that I'm an

A what?

However, when I listen to
material from the BBC (and take out what is normally obvious bias), I
don't begrudge a penny of the licence fee.

Nor do I.

But there's no licence fee for radio!

Mary

Andy Hall

On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:41:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

I obviously miss so much by not having telly!

Mary

You don't you know.

Well, I do, really :-)

I travel a lot, as you know. In most places I can listen to R4 or
the World Service on the internet. I used to take a short wave
receiver with me but no need any more. I can get a reasonable
connection in most places - for example, I am not in the UK now.

We don't go abroad but I do always have a personal radio to listen to WS
through the night if it's a wakeful one.

Like a Wakefield one?

Through the day R4 is in every
room, even the greenhouse (solar/wind up powered). Away from home we have
those too.

When one is in a cultural and literal desert (or even dessert)

No - really ? !

like
California, being able to listen to Newshour is an oasis.
Somehow Owen Bennett-Jones and Robin Lustig (I went to school with
him)

Ooooh!

It's really not that sophisticated -- a Still Small Voice of Calm.

represent something of a stability in an uncertain world.

Yes ...

I'm a strong critic of anything with government or pseudo-government
involvement.

Me too.

This doesn't mean that I'm an

A what?

However, when I listen to
material from the BBC (and take out what is normally obvious bias), I
don't begrudge a penny of the licence fee.

Nor do I.

But there's no licence fee for radio!

I know, but I would pay one for the privilege of hearing Humpries and
Naughty in full flight.

Mary