Andy Hall

On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:11:34 +0100, OldBill
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:39:56 +0100, MM wrote:

I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

MM

I understand from a recent discussion on the subject with a solicitor
that the so-called "deeds" no longer have any legal significance and
that that is held by the Land Registry itself.

Oh dear, I wonder if the impressive bound document the L.R. recently
sent me when I paid off my mortgage, is a figment of my imagination.

Not at all. It's simply marketing. Take a look at the Land Registry
web site, the Land Registration Act 2002 and specifically

http://www.landreg.gov.uk/assets/lib...t_sheet010.pdf

From 13 Oct 2003, the status of the Title Information Document is that
it is *not* a document of title - i.e. posession of said document does
not imply holding of title.

This is a new property.

I agree it what is in the L.R. that matters, but if they have sent
official copy to your solicitor then demand they give it to you.

or tell them to shred it and not waste time and money.

Assuming you have sole title that is, if there is a loan on the property
then the mortgage will hold the deeds.

This is incorrect. It would only be relevant in the case of
unregistered property where the old practice was for the vendor to
pass the title deeds as evidence of ownership to the purchaser or
secured lender.

With registered propoerty, charges against the property are recorded
by the Land Registry, which is the whole point of having a centralised
system.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl