Mary Fisher

"MM" wrote in message

That's why I'd like to buy an old property again. This brand-new house
has no history and consequently no character.

You'll have to give it some!

I think it takes years and several owners/occupiers before that
happens. Also, in my previous property I had expended a lot of effort
ripping off six layers of wallpaper, painting, laying floors, re-doing
the garden etc etc, and in the end I felt like I had become part of
the property. This new property needs zilch done to it, and there are
a few things about it that I don't like. I don't like the alarm system
and the hermetically sealed doors and windows (ideal enclosure for
carbon monoxide-induced suicide, by the way),

I thought there had to be some form of ventilation by law ...

Oh, there must be some.

So what's the problem with hermetically sealed doors? You won't getdraughts,
therefor your heating bills will be lews and you'll be doing something for
the environment.

Otherwise I wouldn't be writing this! But you
must know what it's like in new properties, even if you live in an old
house. My previous house creaked and groaned. This one is as silent as
the grave, which is what it feels like most of the time.

This one is if we don't make any noise, sing, whistle, put on the wireless,
the radiogram ...

the horrid low-voltage
lights that don't come on immediately like good old-fashioned bulbs,

What I don't like about those is the quality of the light. But surely you
can replace them with tungsten in?

Yes, the light itself is far too bright and glaring. That, too, is a
problem. I once had the idea of ripping out all the low-voltage stuff
and putting in proper lights. But then I thought, stuff it, I'm gonna
move!

New bulbs are cheaper!

Not all rooms have the LV lighting - the bedrooms have nice
bulbs. I often sit in the bedroom with the door shut and imagine what
life would be like if the whole house were thus equipped.

Oh come on!

the almost white carpets that pose a continual problem trying to keep
them clean,

They're mad. But was it down when you bought the house? I've never heard
of
a built-in carpet!

Oh, it was there all right. But I had to move. I needed to break away
from the South. It was getting too congested.

There I can sympathise with you.

I always saw this house
as a jumping off point and not as my final destination. I didn't think
it would take this long to fall in love with a place.

We're not in love with our house, even after 40+ years.But I never expected
to be, things are to use, people are for loving.

Since I haven't
yet, I think it's time to move on (when the market speaks, of course).

I suspect that's the underlying reason for your complaints. But you're happy
to inflict them on others!

the pancake-like surface of the 'topsoil' the builders put
down in the back 'garden',

Hire a rotovator.

That was going to be my next move. But after considerable raking,
loosening, aerating (with one of those hollow tine thingies) and
composting over a couple of weeks, the grass is now growing and, I
must say, it is coming along quite nicely, though a bit patchy. See
he http://www.visual.basic.freeuk.com/

It's a far better lawn than we have. Our hens ate all our grass. Since I
can't see the point of lawns anyway that was no problem, saved on mowing.

the cost of metered water

Now that surprises me. Our water bill has been reduced to a munuscule
amount
since we installed a meter.

A cubic meter is around 90 pence, I believe. That sounds a lot,
judging by the number of baths I take. (I hate showers.)

I don't know what we pay but a cubic metre is a lot of water. I hate showers
too.

Actually, across the road is an identical property now on the market
for almost £11,000 more than I paid. If they get it fairly soon, I
shall be off to pastures new (and older, much older).

But then you'll have to spend all that time and effort getting rid of the
evidence of previous owners' bad tastes and DIY skills!

Ah, a challenge at last! Can't wait!

Well, I suppose everyone needs a hobby ...

Mary

MM