MM

On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:57:08 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"OldBill" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:39:56 +0100, MM wrote:

I am still awaiting the title deed for my brand-new property.
According to the Land Registry, which I contacted several weeks ago,
the title deed was forwarded to my solicitor in March.

What is the *official* name of this title deed? Does it have an
official form number? I want to give my solicitor a friendly reminder,
and it would have greater effect if I could quote a form number at
him.

MM

I understand from a recent discussion on the subject with a solicitor
that the so-called "deeds" no longer have any legal significance and
that that is held by the Land Registry itself.

Oh dear, I wonder if the impressive bound document the L.R. recently sent
me when I paid off my mortgage, is a figment of my imagination.

We were given the deeds too (in an unimpressive handover and,
disappointingly, no ceremony) a few years ago.I'd be disappointed to know
that it had no value.

Although it was a fascinating document, our house was built on private land
in the 1930s and the story of that land, the owners, the family diputes and
the like was amazing!

That's why I'd like to buy an old property again. This brand-new house
has no history and consequently no character. The deeds to my
ex-council house in Bucks went right back to well before the house was
built, the land (12 acres as I recall) having been purchased by
Wycombe council from Lord Baron Carrington for £800 during the war.
The council estate was only started well after the end of the war.
Those deeds made fascinating reading even though the property had only
stood for fifty-odd years. And the deeds by then had got to at least
an inch thick. Imagine a house built in the 1800s!

MM